Author Topic: It’s All Israel’s Fault!  (Read 292 times)

Woodrow

It’s All Israel’s Fault!
« on: May 01, 2003, 01:45:38 AM »
Editorial: ‘It’s All Israel’s Fault!’
26 April 2003

As the dust settles over Iraq and the cacophony of excited voices on our television screens dies down, the Arab world has begun to stir from the confusion into which the swift fall of Baghdad had thrown it, to take a good look at itself and take stock.

The political repercussions, as ever in the Arab world, are not easy to ascertain, but the fallout for the media is all too evident. To put it bluntly: A great many journalists and media outlets have been left with egg on their face. From accepting the wild claims of Iraqi minister of information Mohammed Saeed Al-Sahaf, to wildly predicting a jihad among the Iraqi people, very little the Arab media speculated on had, when push came to shove, anything to do with reality.

But good may come from bad, as people often say. The main subject now is as much the appalling coverage of Iraq — and by implication the serious shortcomings of the Arab media in general — as Iraq’s future after “liberation”. Does the Arab media have a future in its present form? What is certain is that the confidence of Arab readers, and the millions who tune into Arab satellite channels, has been severely undermined.

During the war, everyone in the Arab world agreed that US news networks such as Fox TV and CNN had dangerously — and not infrequently ridiculously — confused patriotism with reportage; and they were right. After the war, however, most Arabs have come to recognize that they were throwing stones while sitting in glass houses.

In the Arab media, it wasn’t so much a question of confusing patriotism with reportage as confusing news with wishful thinking. In a word, what was lacking was objectivity and critical self-analysis.

This, of course, is nothing new. For decades it has been difficult to find anything in the opinion pages of the Arabic language press that did not concern Israel. Every problem faced by Arab societies was blamed, in however obscure or far-fetched a way, on Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land. The issue served as a sort of lowest common denominator, satisfying many journalists who were not equipped to write about anything else as well as many of those who rule the Arab world and who would prefer Israel — rather than their own shortcomings — to be the subject of heated discussion in the “Arab street.”

It is one of the many ironies of the US-led attack in Iraq that Crown Prince Abdullah’s historic “peace with reform” initiative was marginalized, with the “pact for reforming the Arab world” being postponed for discussion by the Arab League.

In fact, in the wake of the sudden disappearance of Saddam and his Baathist regime, the political and media vacuum in the Arab world is wider than ever, and it is now that Crown Prince Abdullah’s peace with reform program would not only fill the void that gapes in the center of the Arab world, but also fill it with something tangible and workable.

The days when the Arab world could just scream “Israel”, as if that one word were sufficient answer to every question about every problem that came its way — as though saying that one word could deflect all further inquiry — are over. The time for peaceful coexistence, internal reflection and healthy, progressive thinking has come.

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=25610

Decent article, but I don't like how he says American news stations are using Propaganda, but when Arab news stations use it it's just "wishfull thinking"

Does anybody know if the "arab news" is widely read in the mid-east?

Trauma-san

Re:It’s All Israel’s Fault!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 06:57:18 AM »
Good article, but Al-Jazeera and the other media outlets that were reporting all this wrong, useless, misguided 'news' and information have no responsibility.  It doesn't matter if they were wrong, or they have egg on their face, or they made complete fools out of themselves, the people that cater to the stories that were being passed around will still believe it, or act like it never happened.  Nobody will say "yeah, you were right" or "Oh, I was wrong"... all that will happen is the debate will go on.  Look at how wrong liberals have been about this entire war, I mean, EVERY ASPECT of this war.  "Oh, you don't want to go urban warfare', 'oh there's no link to al-queada' etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. (sorry, i'm getting tired of writing etc.'s)  Remember people saying "This is just like Vietnam!!!!"... what a bunch of idiots.  

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 12:40:18 PM »
Never have so many, been so wrong, about so much.

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 01:05:37 PM »
'oh there's no link to al-queada'

Where's the link to al-Queda inspector?
Where's the weapons of mass destruction inspector?
What exactly did al-Jazeera do wrong in its reporting of the war, outside of the broadcasting of hostage inspector?

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 01:22:18 PM »
Where's the link to al-Queda inspector?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/27/walq27.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/27/ixnewstop.html
Where's the weapons of mass destruction inspector?
Coming soon...

What exactly did al-Jazeera do wrong in its reporting of the war, outside of the broadcasting of hostage inspector?

Did you read the article I just posted?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 01:22:38 PM by Engel-Rock AKA Dances With Bitch »

Woodrow

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 01:22:56 PM »
Oh, and the "inspector" thing is REALLY lame.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 04:05:49 PM »
Editorial: ‘It’s All Israel’s Fault!’
26 April 2003

As the dust settles over Iraq and the cacophony of excited voices on our television screens dies down, the Arab world has begun to stir from the confusion into which the swift fall of Baghdad had thrown it, to take a good look at itself and take stock.

The political repercussions, as ever in the Arab world, are not easy to ascertain, but the fallout for the media is all too evident. To put it bluntly: A great many journalists and media outlets have been left with egg on their face. From accepting the wild claims of Iraqi minister of information Mohammed Saeed Al-Sahaf, to wildly predicting a jihad among the Iraqi people, very little the Arab media speculated on had, when push came to shove, anything to do with reality.

But good may come from bad, as people often say. The main subject now is as much the appalling coverage of Iraq — and by implication the serious shortcomings of the Arab media in general — as Iraq’s future after “liberation”. Does the Arab media have a future in its present form? What is certain is that the confidence of Arab readers, and the millions who tune into Arab satellite channels, has been severely undermined.

During the war, everyone in the Arab world agreed that US news networks such as Fox TV and CNN had dangerously — and not infrequently ridiculously — confused patriotism with reportage; and they were right. After the war, however, most Arabs have come to recognize that they were throwing stones while sitting in glass houses.

In the Arab media, it wasn’t so much a question of confusing patriotism with reportage as confusing news with wishful thinking. In a word, what was lacking was objectivity and critical self-analysis.

This, of course, is nothing new. For decades it has been difficult to find anything in the opinion pages of the Arabic language press that did not concern Israel. Every problem faced by Arab societies was blamed, in however obscure or far-fetched a way, on Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land. The issue served as a sort of lowest common denominator, satisfying many journalists who were not equipped to write about anything else as well as many of those who rule the Arab world and who would prefer Israel — rather than their own shortcomings — to be the subject of heated discussion in the “Arab street.”

It is one of the many ironies of the US-led attack in Iraq that Crown Prince Abdullah’s historic “peace with reform” initiative was marginalized, with the “pact for reforming the Arab world” being postponed for discussion by the Arab League.

In fact, in the wake of the sudden disappearance of Saddam and his Baathist regime, the political and media vacuum in the Arab world is wider than ever, and it is now that Crown Prince Abdullah’s peace with reform program would not only fill the void that gapes in the center of the Arab world, but also fill it with something tangible and workable.

The days when the Arab world could just scream “Israel”, as if that one word were sufficient answer to every question about every problem that came its way — as though saying that one word could deflect all further inquiry — are over. The time for peaceful coexistence, internal reflection and healthy, progressive thinking has come.

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=25610

Decent article, but I don't like how he says American news stations are using Propaganda, but when Arab news stations use it it's just "wishfull thinking"

Does anybody know if the "arab news" is widely read in the mid-east?

Classic attempt to brush off something by tying it to a greater global aspect. See how this article pushes its objectives?

It ties Arab incompetence militarily, economically and socially with their hatred of Israel. This paints any type of grievance with Israel as misguided irrational behaviour. So while youre forgetting about decades of occupation, youre being convinced that Arabs will inevitably seek conflict with Israel, simply because of course, Arabs are born with X chromosones that promote anti semetism.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 04:14:30 PM »
Look at how wrong liberals have been about this entire war, I mean, EVERY ASPECT of this war.  

OK Rumsfeld, let me go over this very slowly:

Misconceptions of the Iraq war:

1. The Arab world will erupt.

It hasnt, because the friendly neighbourhood US puppet dictator has oppressed free speech.

2. The Iraqis would fight to the death

Just because Iraqis refuse to fight for a dictator doesnt mean they welcome Americans.

3. The Iraqis will soon tire of an American presence.

What is that now, 15 Iraqis killed for protesting an American occupation of the childrens school. Yup!

4. There will be a political vacuum.

You think Chalabi (Americas puppet) has any major grass roots support whatsoever? Theres currently 2-3 different administrators of Baghdad, from American corporals to self proclaimed Mayors.

5. Polarization of Iraqi society.

2 Kurdish militias in the north, opposed to each other. Three different Shiites groups, disagreeing with each other about damn near everything. Minority Christains (Assyrians), Turkmen, and the Sunni Arabs who controlled things for so long. The exiles in the Iraqi National Congress are all foreign supported and funded. Remember the US is expected to support EACH and EVERY one of the Iraqi factions that assisted in Saddams downfall.

6. Installation of a permanent American presence.

5 Military bases were being proposed for permanent basis in Iraq. Jay Garner basically runs shit in Iraq. America has already refused to allow a theocracy, despite the fact that many groups are supported of such a state.

I wont even touch on the Al Qaeda links (Six degrees of Separation anyone? Mohamed in Iraq, has a cousin in Libya that knows a friend of Bin Ladens bodyguards niece.) Or the WMD links.

So really what is your argument?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 07:43:05 PM »
^^^ Sorry, could someone summarize?  I noticed who posted it and decided he wasn't worth my time....

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 08:40:49 PM »
My God

I know the inspector thing is lame - it's Trauma's
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 08:41:07 PM by Jay ay Beeeeee »

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 08:43:58 PM »
Are you new or something? I don't recognize the name.  Have we met?  

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 08:51:46 PM »
lol

4319 posts I've been here for a couple of years...and you're still spouting shit after all these years.

I ask again where is the link to ALQueda?
Where are the WMDs?

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 08:54:08 PM »
^^ You don't understand me, apparently.

Even if I showed you a nuclear bomb, you'd say we sold it to them.  

Even if I showed you Bin Ladin's autograph on an 8X10 hanging over Saddam's bed, you'd say he bought it on ebay.  

I can't convince you of anything.  

On the other hand, if I'm talking to a conservative, hell, we don't even want evidence.  We'll just assume the government found it and locked it up somewhere to keep everybody safe.  

I'll always support what the government is doing, you'll always be pessimistic and untrusting of them.  It's useless for us to even argue about this.

A wise man once told me never argue about religion or politics.  I was too stupid at the time to listen.  

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 08:59:44 PM »
^^ You don't understand me, apparently.
Even if I showed you a nuclear bomb, you'd say we sold it to them.
Even if I showed you Bin Ladin's autograph on an 8X10 hanging over Saddam's bed, you'd say he bought it on ebay.  

I can't convince you of anything.  

Show me weapons of mass destruction and I will say, ok Sadaam had them, the pretext for war was correct.
If you show me Osama Bin Laden and Saadaam were in cahoots, I'll say, ok, he was involved with Al-Queda, I was wrong.

But you can't can you?

Show me the evidence, you will convince me.

You support the government whatever.  Well I am not blind, I can make up my own mind about what I belive in.  I don't need to blindly follow.  Some things I will agree with, some not.  The war I did not agree with. Other things I will.  You however, agree with absolutely everything the US government does apparently.

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 09:24:53 PM »
But you can't can you?

Show me the evidence, you will convince me.

O.K., but watch the reaction you'll give, just as described.  You'll never admit a connection.

Here's a great article...

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/11/09/wirq09.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/11/09/ixhome.html

Notice it's from september 11th, 2001, even back then it was apparent saddam was helping train al queda terrorists.  He has a jet fuselage parked at the terrorist training camp, even.  

Here's an article from an eyewitness to some things

http://216.26.163.62/2002/eu_terror_06_09.html

Here's an article on PBS (surely you'll trust them?) with an interview with a man who helped train the terrorists...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/gunning/interviews/khodada.html

Here's another, with Saddam sending troops to help Bin Ladin's cause...

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/04/21/wiraq21.xml&sSheet=/news/2002/04/21/ixnewstop.html

Here's something with a link from the washington post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A42471-2002Mar17&notFound=true

Here's an old report from 1999 that details meetings between al queada and iraqi officials.  

http://www.rferl.org/iraq-report/1999/01/1-080199.html

Here's another one connecting the iraqi ambassador to 9-11

http://www.rferl.org/iraq-report/2001/10/34-191001.html

None of this is important to you though; you probably won't even click the links.  If you do, they'll all be useless; mere speculation.  That guy's not REALLY an eyewitness to it; the other guy didn't REALLY work at a training facility for terrorists.  They have a gutted jet fuselage parked on the ground of a training camp for the kids to play on, it's not used to train terrorists.  Right?