Author Topic: Cypress Hill: Elephants on Acid (Anticipation / Discussion Thread)  (Read 6327 times)

doggfather

Re: Cypress Hill: Elephants on Acid (Anticipation / Discussion Thread)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »
Pre-orders next week.

only the pre orders?
shit.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 03:48:28 AM »
If you guys can drop links for the snippets, i couldn't find any so far.
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

Okka

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »
^pre orders? from where? plz n thx.

I saw Muggs say that on his Instagram page, maybe somebody should hit him up and ask where?

doggfather

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 11:36:18 PM »
first single is out!

and the pre orders live!

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Shad3s

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »
wow, impressive, awesome track!!

doggfather

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 04:25:49 AM »

aint like the chorus.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Okka

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 04:31:59 AM »
Does anybody know if the new album will be in stores everywhere?

doggfather

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
Think so. They are under bmg for this one.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Shad3s

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »

aint like the chorus.

It will grow on you..

doggfather

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 11:12:38 AM »
Hope so.

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The Predator

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 09:14:13 AM »
Track-listing...

Cypress Hill - Elephants on Acid L.P.

Tusko (Intro)
    Band of Gypsies
    Put Em in the Ground
    Satao (Interval)
    Jesus Was a Stoner
    Pass the Knife
    LSD (Interval)
    Oh Na Na
    Holy Mountain (Interval)
    Locos
    Falling Down
    Elephant Acid (Interlude)
    Insane OG
    The 5th Angel (Instrumental)
    Warlord
    Reefer Man
    Thru the Rabbit Hole (Interlude)
    Crazy
    Muggs is Dead
    Blood on my Hands Again
    Stairway to Heaven

Cypress Hill Preview New LP ‘Elephants on Acid’ With Psychedelic Song ‘Band of Gypsies’

Longtime member Muggs aims to create a “sound like feeling like you’re high on hallucinogenic drugs – but you’re not on no drugs”

On September 28th, ever-blunted hip-hop pioneers Cypress Hill will return with Elephants on Acid, their ninth album and first in eight years. The dank, fuzz-infused, acid-rock-inspired LP will be the first produced entirely by Muggs, the sonic architect behind landmarks like 1991’s Cypress Hill and 1993’s Black Sunday, since 2001.

“Psychedelic rock and stuff has been a big influence on me,” Muggs tells Rolling Stone. “I’ve been listening to it since it was in my mother’s and my uncle’s collection. … I had the idea what the name of this record was going to be and then I just started building the whole sound around [it]. Just a whole sound like feeling like you’re high on hallucinogenic drugs – but you’re not on no drugs.”

Full of sitars, guitars, organs, Nuggets-rhythms and vinyl crackle, Elephants, available now for pre-order, is a bad trip of 1967-72 imagery; a hip-hop blunt rolled on vintage rock’s gatefold vinyl sleeves. Muggs says there’s only one sample on the record – courtesy of Japanese smooth jazz group Hiroshima – and the rest was played by musicians and the producer himself.

“With a band like Cypress Hill, you kind of try to avoid [sampling] because it can hold up your record,” says Muggs. “So I had to build the record sonically like a Cypress Hill grimy-ass dirty fuckin’ hip-hop record like the shit I like. But I had to use live shit. So I played a lot of shit myself. I had people come in and play, but I know how to freak my shit to make it sound like samples. … I got a couple players that come in that are pro. I just pound on the fucking keyboards and play all the crazy shit that you might hear that’s smoked the fuck out.”

Muggs recorded much of “Band of Gypsies,” the first taste of music from Elephants, during sessions in Egypt where he says he teamed with instrumentalists who could play oud, sitar, guitar, keyboard and flute.

“I’d find street musicians,” says Muggs. “We seen somebody that was good and we just get him to come into the studio, pay him, and let him come in the studio and play.”

On the radio, Muggs heard Sadat and Alaa Fifty Cent, two leading lights of the country’s post-2013 Revolution dance music mahragan and got them to sing the hook. Other tracks were recorded in Joshua Tree with dubbed-out producer Gonjasufi. Says Muggs of the California landmark, “It’s like a fuckin’ spiritual vortex out there.”

Cypress Hill, now with turntable whiz Mix Master Mike as their live DJ, will be performing Black Sunday in its entirety at Chicago’s Riot Fest on September 14th. Around Halloween, between dates in South America, Mexico and the U.K., they will hit Los Angeles and New York for two shows dubbed “Haunted Hill.”

Okka

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
Where did you get the tracklist from?

The Predator

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
From new short interview,

Cypress Hill share details about their first album in eight years

'Elephants on Acid' will be released on September 28

Cypress Hill have today (August 3) announced their return by unveiling new single ‘Band Of Gypsies’, taken from ‘Elephants On Acid’ – their first album in eight years. The album will be released on September 28.

The group have also announced a string of UK tour dates in the winter and will visit Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham and London in November and December.

Speaking to NME about the new album, Sen Dog said: “We wanted to achieve something new, and make something different from the last album. Not that we hated the last album, but we wanted something with a heavy Cypress vibe on it and we achieved that! It’s a pure Cypress Hill album from start to end.”

With DJ Muggs at the helm, ‘Elephants On Acid’ is the first album he has produced since 2004’s ‘Til Death Do Us Part.’ Speaking about the album, Sen Dog added: “anything can happen when Muggs, B-Real and myself get together. We’ve grown up as men now, but the chemistry is still the same.”

He continued: “When we came out in the nineties, we sounded like nobody else; we sounded like ourselves. This is another continuations.”

Asked by NME about the title of the album, Sen Dog revealed that DJ Muggs came up with the name.

“The name Elephants on Acid, DJ Muggs came up with that name. I know what it means for me, but it might mean something different to everyone else. To me, Elephants on Acid is the ability to be weird and to be strange with music. It’s not following the same cycle of whatever is hot at the same time.”

Muggs also revealed that he started collecting ideas for the album in 2013 after dreaming about an out of body experience of a man with an elephant head. Crafting beats globally, Muggs travelled far and wide, recording in Egypt, Jordan and the Joshua Tree.

Meanwhile, B-Real from the group described the new album as “both a trip back to the roots and an escape into a completely new world.”

When asked about the delay between albums, Sen Dog added: “With this one, we were being very cautious with the steps that we took and other projects came up – people started doing other things.”

“Overall, I think we were just being cautious – we wanted to make sure it’s an accurate representation of what Cypress Hill is. We wrote a lot of songs too. Shit happens sometimes, it takes a long time!”

The track listing of the new album is as follows:

Tusko (Intro)
    Band of Gypsies
    Put Em in the Ground
    Satao (Interval)
    Jesus Was a Stoner
    Pass the Knife
    LSD (Interval)
    Oh Na Na
    Holy Mountain (Interval)
    Locos
    Falling Down
    Elephant Acid (Interlude)
    Insane OG
    The 5th Angel (Instrumental)
    Warlord
    Reefer Man
    Thru the Rabbit Hole (Interlude)
    Crazy
    Muggs is Dead
    Blood on my Hands Again
    Stairway to Heaven

‘We need to be weird’ – Cypress Hill tell us about their first album in eight years, ‘Elephants On Acid’

Cypress Hill have announced their return by unveiling new single ‘Band Of Gypsies’ from their first album in eight years, ‘Elephants On Acid’. Check out our interview with Sen Dog and their UK tour dates below.

Released on September 28, this is the first Cypress Hill album produced by DJ Muggs since 2004’s ‘Til Death Do Us Part’.

“Anything can happen when Muggs, B-Real, and myself get together to record,” said Sen Dog. “We were kids when we first got together. We’ve grown up as men now, but the chemistry is still the same. When we first came out in the nineties, we sounded like nobody else; we sounded like ourselves. This is another continuation”.

B-Real added: “The album is both a trip back to the roots and an escape into a completely new world.”

What’s the aim with the new album?

Sen Dog: “We wanted to achieve something new, and make something different from the last album. Not that we hated the last album, but we wanted something with a heavy Cypress vibe on it and we achieved that! It’s a pure Cypress Hill album from start to end.”
‘Elephants On Acid’, what’s the thinking behind that title?

“The name Elephants on Acid, DJ Muggs came up with that name. I know what it means for me, but it might mean something different to everyone else. To me, Elephants on Acid is the ability to be weird and to be strange with music. It’s not following the same cycle of whatever is hot at the same time.”

It’s been eight years since the last record. Why the delay?

“Well, it’s a good question! Back in our day we would put out albums every two years, or every two and a half years. With this one, we were being very cautious with the steps that we took and other projects came up – people started doing other things.

“Overall, I think we were just being cautious – we wanted to make sure it’s an accurate representation of what Cypress Hill is. We wrote a lot of songs too. Shit happens sometimes, it takes a long time!”
And it must be exciting to finally get it out there for the fans?

“Definitely man! CypressHill fans are very patient, we stay busy on tour but it’s all about the new stuff to prove that we’re an important band. We don’t want to rely on what we’ve done in the past, we want to stay changing and groundbreaking when we come up with new shit. I can’t wait for them to get an idea of what CypressHill means now.”

In those eight years, we’ve seen B-Real go off and do his thing with Prophets of Rage. Were you tempted to bring some that in, maybe make an anti-Trump track?

Not really! I’m not a political person to tell you the honest truth. We didn’t want to bring that vibe to Elephants on Acid.

A lot of artists are taking that stance and I respect them for that, but this album is more about good vibes and stoner music. There’s a psychedelic vibe and I don’t think politics has anything to do or anything to put in with that vibe.

You’ve got your star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How big a deal is that as a recognition of your career?

“Ah man! That’s an insane thing. I’ve never gone around and thought about the Hollywood Walk of Fame and CypressHill being on it.  I’ve thought about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame maybe, but when that [the walk of fame] happened, I was flattened.

I was in shock, like ‘are you serious?’ I remember as a young kid going to Hollywood and seeing the Walk of Fame out there. I’d never really thought about it, but it’s a grand honour to be an act on the Walk of Fame. I’m very thankful for it, and if I could relive the last 30 years to get that star I’d do it all over again. I’m very honoured.”

You’re playing London’s Brixton Academy later this year. London is obviously the home of the London Symphony Orchestra. Doesn’t that seem like the perfect opportunity to relive the Simpsons cameo that the fans are calling for?

“We’ve been talking about it, so anything could happen! I’d be OK with it. If we got it together then I’d be OK with it.”
Your career in hip-hop has been so long and so enduring. What’s the secret to playing the long game do you think?

“I don’t know about a secret, but it’s a great job to have. It’s fun and we travel. Another important thing is that we’re still friends, a lot of bands have that challenge but the guys in the band – we’re still actual bros. That’s a very important thing to have in a band that goes their own ways for seven years.”

“We still feel like we’re an important band to make music too, for the history of music and the history of hip-hop. Overall, I think the fans have supported us since day one. They show up at our concerts whether we have an album out or not. They keep coming out and enjoying our shows – they gave us our career.”

Cypress Hill’s upcoming UK tour dates are below. Visit here for tickets and information.

30 November – Manchester Academy
1 December – Leeds 02 Academy
3 December – Glasgow Barrowland
4 December – Birmingham 02 Academy
5 December – London 02 Academy Brixton

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:29:16 AM by The Predator »

Malcy

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
Going to go see them in Glasgow in December. No features on the album?