Author Topic: ICE CUBE - EVERYTHANG’S CORRUPT (Official Discussion)  (Read 17810 times)

Westdog

Re: Ice Cube - Everythang's Corrupt (Official Discussion/Anticipation Thread)
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »
Anybody have the album with good quality? In internet has bad quality. I feel the album is dope. I have no the album in good quality in Russia yet.
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

JeremyM

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
I get so sick of people complaining that it's not another AMW or Death Certificate like that in DX review. If that's your standard for new music, your life is going to be very disappointing.

Album is nice, judge it on its own merits.

Also, how are you going to write this line--Cube has proven his staying power is stronger than Gorilla Glue--and talk about Cube having corny bars?

Sccit

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
I get so sick of people complaining that it's not another AMW or Death Certificate like that in DX review. If that's your standard for new music, your life is going to be very disappointing.

Also, how are you going to write this line--Cube has proven his staying power is stronger than Gorilla Glue--and talk about Cube having corny bars?

lmao who wrote that?

sav-man

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2018, 11:10:28 PM »

This. Couldn't agree more.

Cube stated back in 1992 (when The Predator came out) that he does all of his albums differently. HipHopDx and XXL are being unreasonable. What do these critics want (besides payola)?!? Granted, Cube has done individual songs that were wack ("Crowded"), but entire albums that were wack from beginning to end? None to speak of, in my opinion. Some Cube albums are stronger than others, but all of them are decent, if not classic from start to finish (I Am The West is probably his weakest album overall, but even that one had some great songs among the suckjobs, for example).

As far as the new one....I pretty much like all of it now. The production on a few tunes took some getting used to ("Fire Water" and "Bad Dope"), but it's all good now for me after a few listens. Flow-wise, I thought Cube was on-point on every track except maybe "Non-Believers." The song is still entertaining, but some of Cube's bars on the verses sounded a little "choppier" than they should have, given the beat. The lines on that one could have been lengthened a bit. Still, the content of the verses on that song (and all of the others) was fine.

To me, this is the first album Cube's done in ages where I honestly cannot name a single song that could be termed 100% wack w/ nothing to redeem it. Sure, people's opinions will vary re: songs they like/dislike depending on production or subject matter, and that's cool. But here's what I mean: Cube's last five CDs (War & Peace Vols. 1 and 2, LNCL, RF, and IATW) all had some classic joints, and they also had some decent-to-average songs, but each of them also had at least one-to-three suckjob songs that I would hear and think, "Come ON, Cube! You can do better than THAT!" Examples: "Limos, Demos & Bimbos," "If I Was Fucking You," "Can U Bounce?", "I Got My Locs On," "She Couldn't Make It On Her Own," "It Is What It Is," and "All Day, Everyday," to name a few that I still can't get into even today. But on EC, while I like some songs more than others, I can't name a single EC song where I found myself thinking "that song's beneath Cube's talent" the way I did for certain songs on the last five CDs he put out before this new one. For instance, "One For The Money" might not be my personal favorite, but it's decent, and I could see where someone else could possibly consider it one of their favorites, b/c the beat pounds and Cube sounds like he's having fun. So while I might not love "One For The Money," I do at least like it. Or, take "Fire Water." That song's production might not be to everyone's taste (it sounded weird to me the first time I heard it), but the lyrics and Cube's flow are fun and entertaining (and I kind of got the impression that "Fire Water" was meant to be more of a "just kickin' lyrics for fun" type of song to provide some variety after the political and drug-related songs).   

Right now, my favorites are "Arrest the President," "Chase Down The Bully," the title track, "Good Cop, Bad Cop," "On Them Pills," "Can You Dig It," "That New Funkadelic," and "Still In The Kitchen." But every song has at least something to recommend it, in my opinion. I'd give it a 4 out of 5 right now. But that's just my opinion....PEACE!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:43:01 PM by sav-man »

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM, D-TalkX, Sccit

gator313

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Great analogy

The following users thanked this post: D-TalkX

Westdog

« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2018, 01:02:11 AM »
Don't bring me no bag - need video
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

JeremyM

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »

lmao who wrote that?

The Hip Hop DX review talked about Cube having corny bars and then the reviewer wrote that line as part of their review.

The following users thanked this post: Blood$

Sccit

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »

lmao who wrote that?

The Hip Hop DX review talked about Cube having corny bars and then the reviewer wrote that line as part of their review.

yes i got it lol

i was saying how hilariously retarded that was

btw the album is bangin .. couldnt have expected anything better tbh. whoever says this is whack must got some fire crack

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:55:02 PM by Sccit »

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM

sav-man

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2018, 11:11:20 PM »

lmao who wrote that?

yes i got it lol

i was saying how hilariously retarded that was

btw the album is bangin .. couldnt have expected anything better tbh. whoever says this is whack must got some fire crack

I know....Unbelievable...And then XXL claims that he "lacks finesse..." SMH...As far as I'm concerned, I think that the hate that most Cube projects have received from mainstream critics from 1998 (when War came out) to today comes down to two simple things:

(1). Ageism. Music critics in most genres (except maybe Jazz and Blues) don't show a lot of respect to older performers. I think what happens is that music writers are told by their bosses to push the newer, younger artists and claim that their newest records are the shit (whether they are or not), while older artists get short shrift, even if their new stuff is dope.

(2). I think that a lot of critics (esp. on the East Coast) are still pissed at Cube b/c of the "Bow Down" CD (Westside Connection). During that period, Cube, Mack, and Dub (on interviews) basically told the truth about what was going on w/ media people in N.Y.C., about how critics there act like East Coast rappers walk around w/ halos over their heads and can't do any wrong, while anyone not from the east coast is considered "wack" or "not 'real' hip-hop." I have back issues of mags from the early-to-late 1990s of The Source, Vibe, XXl, and other publications, and in almost every review section, they would praise the hell out of the new NYC rap releases for that time, while new stuff from the West and the South would only get, say, three or three-and-a-half mics out of five. So in my opinion, Cube, Mack, and Dub knew what they were talking about. But the N.Y. critics didn't like getting called out like that.

Don't get me wrong--the War and Peace discs (for example) were not Cube's greatest CDs--both of them had some songs that, for Cube, were marginal (to put it nicely), as did I Am The West, which is probably Cube's weakest overall CD (although it still had some dope tracks). But for critics to call him "corny" and act like he's fallen off completely is out of line. The plain fact, to me, even if critics won't admit it, is that Cube pissed them off w/ the "Bow Down" CD (and the whole Westside Connection project) and they're now out to "get" him. Period (which might be inevitable when you have a song that says, "Fuck all the critics in the N.Y.C.," but hey. If you can't take the heat....LOL)! Giving Cube bad reviews makes these critics feel big (I still remember when Peace came out, XXL tried to claim that it was wack by comparing the lyrics of the first verse of Death Certificate's "My Summer Vacation" w/ the third verse lyrics of Peace's "You Ain't Gotta Lie To Kick It," and then saying some smart-ass shit like, "It's not the same, is it?" I'm thinking to myself: "Hey Einstein...FYI, 'My Summer Vacation' was intended as a street/story song, and "You Ain't Gotta Lie" was intended as a comedic party track. Unfair comparison. Of course they're going to be different!" But like I said, I think the person who wrote the review just wanted to be a dick).

Bottom line: In my opinion, Everythang's Corrupt is Cube's best overall CD out of all his "new millenium" CDs, and it shouldn't be slept on!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:15:11 PM by sav-man »

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM

Heavenly Ebony

« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2019, 01:59:40 AM »
Well
As much as I carried on like a delusional nincompoop over Everythang's Corrupt I haven't actually listened to it.
I've heard the title track, New Funkadelic, Arrest The President and the spoken word version of Fire Water but it really didn't get much play on social media and I couldn't be bothered listening for a whole hour despite my deranged obsession with the album for the last 6 years. I liked the spoken word in terms of it being spoken word but hearing Cube refer to himself as a cannibal really didn't do it for me.

Sccit

« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2019, 02:45:47 AM »
Well
As much as I carried on like a delusional nincompoop over Everythang's Corrupt I haven't actually listened to it.
I've heard the title track, New Funkadelic, Arrest The President and the spoken word version of Fire Water but it really didn't get much play on social media and I couldn't be bothered listening for a whole hour despite my deranged obsession with the album for the last 6 years. I liked the spoken word in terms of it being spoken word but hearing Cube refer to himself as a cannibal really didn't do it for me.

thats because u don’t really care for the music as much as u care for cubes nuts in yo mouf :banana_dsf:

Heavenly Ebony

« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2019, 03:00:43 AM »
Well

thats because u don’t really care for the music as much as u care for cubes nuts in yo mouf :banana_dsf:

I'm nuts enough as it is
Don't need Cubes

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Sccit

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2019, 12:54:23 AM »
Well

I'm nuts enough as it is
Don't need Cubes

happy new year

Elko.

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
Finally gave this another thorough listen, great album but production could've been a little better. Definitely going back to listen to tracks like 'Ain't Got No Haters' & 'That New Funkadelic".