Author Topic: Anderson .Paak Announces His New Album ‘Ventura’  (Read 572 times)

jaytee

Anderson .Paak Announces His New Album ‘Ventura’
« on: February 28, 2019, 01:03:52 AM »
Anderson .Paak Announces His New Album ‘Ventura’

Anderson .Paak recently told Jimmy Fallon that he made “two albums worth of music” with Dr. Dre, and today he announced a new album titled Ventura. The project is slated for release on April 12, and was recorded at the same time as his most recent album, Oxnard.

“Growing up in Oxnard gave me the grit and the church to find this voice of mine. One town over I went further and found my depth,” Anderson .Paak said in a press release. “The duality of each place inspired me greatly and from that I made two albums at the exact same time but held one back because that would have been too many songs to perform live for you all! I like ending things on an even number so welcome to Ventura.”

Eddie Fu, Genius.com

Anderson .Paak Says He & Dr. Dre Made Two Albums Worth Of Music

Dr. Dre co-produced three songs on Anderson .Paak’s sophomore album Oxnard, but the rapper and singer told The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon that he has much more unreleased music with Dre that he’d like to release.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/x28C9slQAKk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/x28C9slQAKk</a>

On Oxnard, Dre contributed to “Mansa Musa,” “Cheers,” and “Who R U?” He also co-produced the bonus cut “Left to Right.”

.Paak signed to Dre’s Aftermath label in January 2016, but started working together in 2015. He told Fallon that they made a lot more music together, and hinted that it would be more R&B-based and less hip-hop.

“I made a lot of music with Dr. Dre, probably two albums' worth,” Oxnard was a beautiful place where I got a lot of grit. I was doing a lot of rapping, and growing up there and running from security guards in the mall and slap boxing. We wanted to be rappers, and do a lot of stuff,“ .Paak said when asked if he had anything he wanted to tease. "I think I got more soul music to present.”

.Paak appeared on Genius' series For The Record and talked about how as a Californian he grew up a Dre fan, saying that getting the opportunity to work with him was everything he’d hoped it would be and more.

“It seemed like something that was too far-fetched, that was someone that was almost untouchable. I didn’t think I was going to get the chance,” .Paak said. “To see that I’m someone that he really, really respects and trusts is something I couldn’t ever imagine.”

.Paak also said that Dre encouraged him to do fewer collaborations and devote his time more to working on his solo music.

“I wanted to do features, I wanted to keep ripping and running, and he shut that shit down as soon as I signed. He was like, ‘That’s out the window. You ain’t fucking with nobody.’” I was like, ‘But Dre, what the fuck?’ He said, ‘Nope. Get your ass in the studio and work on your shit.’ That was it, that was the major key."

In an interview with “The Cruz Show” on Power 106, .Paak talked about how meaningful it was for Dre to actually want to work with him, not merely hype him up.

“The co-sign is one thing, but when you get someone that really wants to work with you and put real sweat and skin in the game and your project, that’s different. That’s better,” he explained.

Grant Rinder, Genius.com

Ventura will be more soulful than Oxnard.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:05:47 AM by jaytee »

doggfather

Re: Anderson .Paak Announces His New Album ‘Ventura’
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:10:30 AM »
wait for it!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

dnjp4life

Re: Anderson .Paak Announces His New Album ‘Ventura’
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 03:31:33 AM »
Good news, I enjoyed Oxnard as an album; it's a bit of a slow-burner but it gets better with multiple listens.
Hopefully Ventura will be more of the same.