Author Topic: SUGA FREE - THE RESURRECTION (Official Discussion)  (Read 14286 times)

teletomble

Re: Suga Free : The Ressurection (album)
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2019, 05:34:38 AM »
Why on earth aren't all tracks the same volume? Shit stressin' me the fuck out.

hope this is fixed for the cd

have CD's been confirmed?

sheparali

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2019, 06:47:02 AM »
This is his best album since Street Gospel but the mixing on certain songs is trash...prob his worst mixed album

I don’t think it’s better than New Testament or Just Add Water.

What’s up with him using this sample on like 5 tracks?

Also the mastering is god awful. I’ve never heard an album with such glaring differences in volume between songs. For My Niggaz and She Ain’t Giving It Up are quiet as fuck

Yeah Ill give u Just Add Water

Sccit

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2019, 08:05:56 AM »

hope this is fixed for the cd

have CD's been confirmed?

that’s what i been tryna find out

doggfather

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2019, 01:52:32 AM »

word!
WTF is this?
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

OGMDean

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2019, 06:01:38 AM »
One of the lowest quality albums in recent memory:

1. The album sounds like it was mixed with Fruity Loops stock plug-ins (not a good thing).
2. The drums are way too loud on most songs. Poor drum selection as well, the kick is not even tuned to the key of the instruments on most songs.
3. Congestion around 250Khz and 500Khz on most songs. A sign of amateur mixing.
4. This album wasn't mastered - every song has different volumes and it sounds like it was recorded in different studios.
5. Cheap microphones - you can tell that this album was recorded with $100 dollar microphones into cheap converters, the vocals are sterile and boxy sounding, lack of de-essing.
6. Too much compression on most songs - no dynamics at all.
7. The bass just sounds terrible. The low-end is muddy and there is no separation between the low frequencies, the lower-mids and the mids. Sheesh, this is the worst mixing I have ever heard on a commercial release. Even most low budget mixtapes from the hood sounds better than this.

Final grading:
Lyrics & Content: B-
Beats: C
Mixing: F
Mastering: F

I'll give this album D- grade overall or a 3/10.

It sounds like Suga Free spent more money at McDonalds than mixing or mastering this album.

The following users thanked this post: dj coma

Sccit

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »

1. The album sounds like it was mixed with Fruity Loops stock plug-ins (not a good thing).
2. The drums are way too loud on most songs. Poor drum selection as well, the kick is not even tuned to the key of the instruments on most songs.
4. This album wasn't mastered - every song has different volumes and it sounds like it was recorded in different studios.
5. Cheap microphones - you can tell that this album was recorded with $100 dollar microphones into cheap converters, the vocals are sterile and boxy sounding, lack of de-essing.
7. The bass just sounds terrible. The low-end is muddy and there is no separation between the low frequencies, the lower-mids and the mids. Sheesh, this is the worst mixing I have ever heard on a commercial release. Even most low budget mixtapes from the hood sounds better than this.

Final grading:

It sounds like Suga Free spent more money at McDonalds than mixing or mastering this album.

mike dean .. is that u?

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »

Final grading:

Pretty on point here but I just disagree about a couple of the grades:
Lyrics and content: A-
Beats: B+

If this album was mixed properly it could actually be considered one of his best albums. The Snoop song is classic.

SuperSpider

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2019, 12:32:54 PM »

Final grading:

All you had to do was look at the album cover to instantaneously know how much (or little) money was sunk into this project. Still....Suga must have done you wrong badly for you to register and hate on this album in your first ever post lmao

Sccit

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2019, 01:23:28 PM »

Final grading:

All you had to do was look at the album cover to instantaneously know how much (or little) money was sunk into this project. Still....Suga must have done you wrong badly for you to register and hate on this album in your first ever post lmao

maybe dean reached out to suga free to mix + master his shit and got shot down?

EssCee

• 'G'
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »

Final grading:

In addition to this I don't know why most tracks are around 2 and a half minutes long

Rudki

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »
a BIG shame about the mixing and mastering of this, i dont care how good the music is, if the quality sucks, then thats just f'd up...especially since suga free fans been waiting ages on this.....

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
The way he was carrying on in the KDAY interview, he talked like this was going to be his best work ever. Like fans weren’t going to believe the tracks he had. The rope a dope, greatest comeback of all time, back with dj quik. And what we got was a bunch of poorly mixed two minute tracks that about half of them weren’t even good and Quik was barely on it and doubt he produced anything on this besides Hearts. And honestly that was probably a leftover from some other project that Quik basically just threw him a bone and let him have it cause Quik wasn’t doing anything with it.

I do not believe for one second that Suga Free submitted this finished product and truly thought in his mind this was his greatest work since Street Gospel. This album seemed like a half assed attempt to throw some shit together for a quick cash grab and not an album that he had been working on for the past 5 years.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »
The way he was carrying on in the KDAY interview, he talked like this was going to be his best work ever. Like fans weren’t going to believe the tracks he had. The rope a dope, greatest comeback of all time, back with dj quik. And what we got was a bunch of poorly mixed two minute tracks that about half of them weren’t even good and Quik was barely on it and doubt he produced anything on this besides Hearts. And honestly that was probably a leftover from some other project that Quik basically just threw him a bone and let him have it cause Quik wasn’t doing anything with it.

I do not believe for one second that Suga Free submitted this finished product and truly thought in his mind this was his greatest work since Street Gospel. This album seemed like a half assed attempt to throw some shit together for a quick cash grab and not an album that he had been working on for the past 5 years.

I strongly disagree. His flow, lyrics, and beats are all quality Suga Free. The only thing you can tear apart is the mixing and mastering and rightfully so but that doesn’t mean he didn’t try to put together a slumpin album. If it was mixed properly this album would slap. There’s hope this might actually be done. He might have felt rushed releasing it since he’s been delaying it for a while

dj coma

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:37 AM »

Final grading:

I don't think they were hating at all. That's actually a pretty damn accurate portrayal of the album. Suga Free, who came up under one of the greatest engineer/producers in rap music (Quik), should know better and have higher standards when it comes to mixing and mastering. Not saying he has to spend a ton of money and have Quik mix his album and Brian Big Bass Gardner master it, but he could at least go somewhere that would do the basic stuff right. I could spend literally 5 minutes in any DAW with a free limiter plugin and fix the inconsistent volume levels. There's no excuse for this shit.

SuperSpider

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »

Final grading:

I don't think they were hating at all. That's actually a pretty damn accurate portrayal of the album. Suga Free, who came up under one of the greatest engineer/producers in rap music (Quik), should know better and have higher standards when it comes to mixing and mastering. Not saying he has to spend a ton of money and have Quik mix his album and Brian Big Bass Gardner master it, but he could at least go somewhere that would do the basic stuff right. I could spend literally 5 minutes in any DAW with a free limiter plugin and fix the inconsistent volume levels. There's no excuse for this shit.

I never disagreed with what the poster said, the only reason I called it ''hating'' is because he signed up to the forum for the sole purpose of posting that review possibly never to return again.