DUBCC - Tha Connection > West Coast Classics

Nate Dogg - G-Funk Classics, Vol. 1 & 2 [Discussion]

(1/4) > >>

Elko.:
According to Wikipedia;

--- Quote ---The album was originally to be released through Death Row Records in 1996, but the album was shelved due to legal problems at Death Row Records, and he wasn't able to release it until the summer of 1998. By that time, the popularity of West Coast hip hop had greatly diminished and the album only managed to make it to number 58 on the Billboard 200[4] and number 20 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums.
--- End quote ---

Can anyone shed any light on why the album was shelved? Was it due to the passing on 2Pac's death that all artists on the Death Row roster at the time faced the same treatment of having their albums shelved?

It goes without saying that if this album was released when it was supposed to, it would of performed much better than it's eventual release.

Elko.:
Some dope videos of around the time Nate was just set to release his debut album.

donfathaimmortal:
First, it seems that Interscope didn't want to release this album any more when they decided to leave Death Row alone.

"Interscope has decided it will not distribute Death Row's next two releases: Nate Dogg's "G-Funk Classics" and a soundtrack to the film "Gang-Related." Those recordings will be distributed by EMI Music-affiliated Priority Records under a pact signed two weeks ago by Death Row"

1997... Death Row Records was shopping for a new distribution deal and is angling to part ways with longtime ally Interscope Records.

"The future of the controversial rap label has been hanging in the balance since November, when Death Row founder Marion "Suge" Knight, once intimately involved in overseeing production of all recordings at the label, was sent to prison for nine years and barred by law from involvement in the firm's daily operations"

But, some CDs were already pressed and were distributed

https://www.discogs.com/Nate-Dogg-G-Funk-Classics-Vol-1/release/2671586

After Snoop announced that he was leaving Death Row because he felt his life was in danger and Death Row's ''business is gone", Nate Dogg started his own label, Dogg Foundation Records, which had tout be distributed through Polygram for release his first solo record.

Finally Breakaway dropped G.Funk Classics Vol.1 & 2 with the cartoon character made by Riskie for Nate Dogg :

https://www.discogs.com/Nate-Dogg-G-Funk-Classics-Vol-1-2/master/540512

Riskie talked about this cover :

"Because of a situation with Nate Dogg leaving the label and going to Breakaway Entertainment. I did a character for Nate Dogg, not knowing that he had just left Death Row, and Breakaway put it on the cover of G-Funk Classics without my knowledge. When his album was about to come out on Breakaway, Suge found out and I was put on two weeks leave.  Having seen other employees being placed on two weeks leave and never returning, I knew I was fired."

Fonky Fresh:
It only was the Vol.1 actually, which was released on death row (blue cover) a then shelved.
I don't know if the blue cover (death row) was released long before the GFC v1&2 though.
All we know is Nate Dogg took his masters

OriginalVersion:
Ironically, Breakaway was actually secretly funded by Suge. LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version