Author Topic: Nate Dogg - G-Funk Classics, Vol. 1 & 2 [Discussion]  (Read 2208 times)

Elko.

Nate Dogg - G-Funk Classics, Vol. 1 & 2 [Discussion]
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
According to Wikipedia;

The album was originally to be released through Death Row Records in 1996, but the album was shelved due to legal problems at Death Row Records, and he wasn't able to release it until the summer of 1998. By that time, the popularity of West Coast hip hop had greatly diminished and the album only managed to make it to number 58 on the Billboard 200[4] and number 20 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums.

Can anyone shed any light on why the album was shelved? Was it due to the passing on 2Pac's death that all artists on the Death Row roster at the time faced the same treatment of having their albums shelved?

It goes without saying that if this album was released when it was supposed to, it would of performed much better than it's eventual release.

Elko.

Re: Nate Dogg - G-Funk Classics, Vol. 1 & 2 [Discussion]
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:56:59 PM »
Some dope videos of around the time Nate was just set to release his debut album.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 01:34:11 AM »
First, it seems that Interscope didn't want to release this album any more when they decided to leave Death Row alone.

"Interscope has decided it will not distribute Death Row's next two releases: Nate Dogg's "G-Funk Classics" and a soundtrack to the film "Gang-Related." Those recordings will be distributed by EMI Music-affiliated Priority Records under a pact signed two weeks ago by Death Row"

1997... Death Row Records was shopping for a new distribution deal and is angling to part ways with longtime ally Interscope Records.

"The future of the controversial rap label has been hanging in the balance since November, when Death Row founder Marion "Suge" Knight, once intimately involved in overseeing production of all recordings at the label, was sent to prison for nine years and barred by law from involvement in the firm's daily operations"

But, some CDs were already pressed and were distributed

https://www.discogs.com/Nate-Dogg-G-Funk-Classics-Vol-1/release/2671586

After Snoop announced that he was leaving Death Row because he felt his life was in danger and Death Row's ''business is gone", Nate Dogg started his own label, Dogg Foundation Records, which had tout be distributed through Polygram for release his first solo record.

Finally Breakaway dropped G.Funk Classics Vol.1 & 2 with the cartoon character made by Riskie for Nate Dogg :

https://www.discogs.com/Nate-Dogg-G-Funk-Classics-Vol-1-2/master/540512

Riskie talked about this cover :

"Because of a situation with Nate Dogg leaving the label and going to Breakaway Entertainment. I did a character for Nate Dogg, not knowing that he had just left Death Row, and Breakaway put it on the cover of G-Funk Classics without my knowledge. When his album was about to come out on Breakaway, Suge found out and I was put on two weeks leave.  Having seen other employees being placed on two weeks leave and never returning, I knew I was fired."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:43:17 AM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life, Elko.

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:45:18 AM »
It only was the Vol.1 actually, which was released on death row (blue cover) a then shelved.
I don't know if the blue cover (death row) was released long before the GFC v1&2 though.
All we know is Nate Dogg took his masters
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

OriginalVersion

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 03:21:36 AM »
Ironically, Breakaway was actually secretly funded by Suge. LOL.
+++||ORIGINAL VERSION||+++

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 03:38:06 AM »

I never found any confirmation or source for this rumor. Do u have one ?
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

dnjp4life

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »
G-Funk classics should have dropped in the Summer of 96 when Death Row Records was at its peak, the same with Danny Boy's debut album.

OriginalVersion

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 03:52:09 PM »

Give me a few days. Got to look through my YouTube views. It was in an interview with someone Death Row related.
+++||ORIGINAL VERSION||+++

The following users thanked this post: donfathaimmortal

LegendaryEternallyCLE

• Lil Geezy
  • Cleveland is the City where I come from
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »

Give me a few days. Got to look through my YouTube views. It was in an interview with someone Death Row related.

I don't have proof to show. But a friend of mine worked for Breakaway in the late 90's. She told me it was funded by Suge from Jail. To me she's a credible source. Shes has stories, lol. 

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »

interested in this as well

dj coma

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 05:08:47 PM »
Breakaway bought Nate Dogg’s contract from Death Row for something like $500k so I’m skeptic of Suge supposedly funding the label. Reggie has spoke on this before.

What would Suge even have to gain by starting a side label with no public attachment to Death Row? Death Row itself was not doing so hot at the time.

Rubinho

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
Still bump the hardest man in town daily.
One of my favourite songs ever!

The following users thanked this post: Sccit, donfathaimmortal, dj coma

dj coma

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
Still bump the hardest man in town daily.
One of my favourite songs ever!

That G-Funk song is my fav

LegendaryEternallyCLE

• Lil Geezy
  • Cleveland is the City where I come from
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 09:02:31 PM »
Breakaway bought Nate Dogg’s contract from Death Row for something like $500k so I’m skeptic of Suge supposedly funding the label. Reggie has spoke on this before.

What would Suge even have to gain by starting a side label with no public attachment to Death Row? Death Row itself was not doing so hot at the time.

All I can tell you is; I was told Suge was funding it from Jail by someone working for Breakaway. She told me one day she received a call telling her it was her last day and the company was done. And when she went to collect unemployment, she found out the company wasn't paying taxes, they had no record of her working for them and she couldn't collect. She said it was all super shady.

She did however hook me up with a bunch of promo CD's and a signed Nate Dogg Poster.

dj coma

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »

All I can tell you is; I was told Suge was funding it from Jail by someone working for Breakaway. She told me one day she received a call telling her it was her last day and the company was done. And when she went to collect unemployment, she found out the company wasn't paying taxes, they had no record of her working for them and she couldn't collect. She said it was all super shady.

She did however hook me up with a bunch of promo CD's and a signed Nate Dogg Poster.

Ya I’m not doubting what she said to you I just think she heard incorrect information because it doesn’t make sense and that’s not what the guy running Death Row at the time said about it. Here’s one interview where he talks about it.