Author Topic: Anyone actually buy the Twinz and Dove Shack albums on their release dates?  (Read 2157 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Russel Simmons admits in his autobiography that they made mistakes with Warren G’s G Funk label because they weren’t experienced with artists on the West Coast.

That’s the truth.  I didn’t even know the album was even out.  How can people buy an album if fans of the artists don’t even know it’s out.  I just saw on YouTube a video for “Jump to This”.  They actually had 3 professionally done videos for the album but I never saw them.  The album did chart in the Top 50 so maybe the label only promoted regionally on the West Coast and some heads out West bought it.

Both these albums came out at the right time when Snoop was still #1 and Warren G and Nate Dogg were making hits.  Attention was on the LBC at that time.  Even white kids that aren’t even fans of hip hop love the song “Summertime In the LBC” (years after the release).  If that video had been done right and the song promoted properly it should’ve been a number 1 hit in the mid-90’s but instead now it’s some sort of cult classic.

Both those albums are albums I just stumbled upon 2 years 2 late when I was 16 in 1998 and got my Liscence and started spending hours upon hours loitering all the music stores in the city just browsing through albums and reading the magazines (source, XXL, rap pages, Blaze) all day as a hobby.  It was then I did finally stumble upon these two gems.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

got around to it later, but that twinz album is a certified classic

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Exactly man.  I kind of feel sympathy for the Twinz cause they probably didn’t make a grip off that album and yet it seemed everything was done right.  It was the right sound, the right time—and at best I hope they at least didn’t lose any money off those projects.

Twinz should’ve at least been gold and then “Summertime in the LBC” should have been one of those big summer jams to make Dove Shack platinum.  Like other big 90’s summer jams “This DJ” or Aliyah’s “Back and Forth” Ahmad “Back in the Day” Will Smith “Summertime” Coolio’s “Fantastic Voyage”.  Of course they didn’t have the charisma of a Coolio, or Will Smith, or Aliyah, but Ahmad’s jam is comparable.  And they could’ve borrowed some of Snoop’s shine at the time and been able to go platinum like Warren G did.  I mean let’s be honest we love Kurupt and Daz but their appeal doesn’t spread to the mainstream without that shine from Snoop.  If only the Twinz and Dove Shack could’ve executed the same way.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:32:40 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

Fonky Fresh

Twinz is a certified noise maker that's for sure;  that cd make some big ass loud noise each time i put it in the cd player, it's not funny.
Anyways yeah these two lp's are classics and i didn't know at the time these groups had albums.Bought them much later on...

There was a time there was no internet kiddos, just remember that if you read me, and those times were hard for a teenager.
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

Sccit

Exactly man.  I kind of feel sympathy for the Twinz cause they probably didn’t make a grip off that album and yet it seemed everything was done right.  It was the right sound, the right time—and at best I hope they at least didn’t lose any money off those projects.

Twinz should’ve at least been gold and then “Summertime in the LBC” should have been one of those big summer jams to make Dove Shack platinum.  Like other big 90’s summer jams “This DJ” or Aliyah’s “Back and Forth” Ahmad “Back in the Day” Will Smith “Summertime” Coolio’s “Fantastic Voyage”.  Of course they didn’t have the charisma of a Coolio, or Will Smith, or Aliyah, but Ahmad’s jam is comparable.  And they could’ve borrowed some of Snoop’s shine at the time and been able to go platinum like Warren G did.  I mean let’s be honest we love Kurupt and Daz but their appeal doesn’t spread to the mainstream without that shine from Snoop.  If only the Twinz and Dove Shack could’ve executed the same way.

i duno how summertime in the lbc did in other regions, but it was pretty damn huge out here in cali..... like pretty much in the same ballpark as those other joints u named.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i duno how summertime in the lbc did in other regions, but it was pretty damn huge out here in cali..... like pretty much in the same ballpark as those other joints u named.

That’s good to know they at least got love out West...but just think of those National networks like MTV, BET... they never played it... so I know local radio in KC wasn’t playing it.  I caught it by accident on The Show Soundtrack and bumped it summer of 96 but it wasn’t until two years later I found out the song was borrowed for the soundtrack soundtrack from an album cut from their debut

Sccit

That’s good to know they at least got love out West...but just think of those National networks like MTV, BET... they never played it... so I know local radio in KC wasn’t playing it.  I caught it by accident on The Show Soundtrack and bumped it summer of 96 but it wasn’t until two years later I found out the song was borrowed for the soundtrack soundtrack from an album cut from their debut

i just looked it up and damn u right ..... didn’t even make top 50 on the charts. thought it would be at least a top 10 hit wit the love it got out here. damn shame.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i just looked it up and damn u right ..... didn’t even make top 50 on the charts. thought it would be at least a top 10 hit wit the love it got out here. damn shame.

Anyway yeah just blows my mind that a great, great hip hop label like Def Jam could fail to even let fans of an artist know that an album is even out. 

I mean people like me who are actually checking for the albums and buying unauthorized shit like Dre’s “Concrete Roots” album just cause they are desperate for that G Funk sound, meanwhile Twinz and Dove Shack albums are out unbeknownst to their most loyal fans.   

Sccit

Anyway yeah just blows my mind that a great, great hip hop label like Def Jam could fail to even let fans of an artist know that an album is even out. 

I mean people like me who are actually checking for the albums and buying unauthorized shit like Dre’s “Concrete Roots” album just cause they are desperate for that G Funk sound, meanwhile Twinz and Dove Shack albums are out unbeknownst to their most loyal fans.

lol @ concrete roots

the og cli-n-tel

• Muthafuckin' Don!

lol @ concrete roots

the og cli-n-tel

Lol... some vintage Dre World Class Wrecking Crew era music.  Though I doubt that’s where Klientel would of looked to find his name. 

There were a few of those unauthorized Dre albums on the shelves in those days.  They would put like one legit track like “Deep Cover” on there, and then you’d find maybe one rare gem like “Bridgette” with D.O.C and then for the rest of the tracks they’d use old Wrecking Cru material.

Desperate to buy more GFunk, had I been a more sophisticated head in the Death row days I would of just bought Dre’s Ruthless Era material—especially Efil4zaggin—because by that time Dre’s sound was not that far removed from the Death Row sound.  After all, it was the 90’s by then.  All over rap you can see a clear difference in sound from 80’s to 90’s—rappers changed up their flow and production became more heavy and less feel good party music.  I mean even LL was making “Mama Said Knock You Out” around the time of Efil4zaggin

Elko.

I'm glad to see that Twinz - Conversation gets so much love here. It is up there with my favourite G-Funk album. All the singles off that album were nuts and dare I say, better than Warren G's releases. Eastside LB, Round & Round and Jump Ta This.

Interesting to hear that Russell didn't know how to make Warren G either at the time because South Central Cartel were also on Def Jam. And what BG Knocc Out & Gangsta Dresta too for Real Brothas?

It must've been a weird time to be a West Coast act signed to an East Coast label at the time. I mean look at DJ Quik and the shitty contract Profile had him binded to.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
Round and Round, 4 Eyes 2 Heads and Eastside LB got a lot of play on BET Rap City. Same thing with Summertime in the LBC. Only video i never saw was Jump Ta Dis. Didn’t even know there was a video for it til I found it years ago on youtube. That one got no airplay. Not sure if Dove Shack had any other videos out but didn’t see them either. I bought Twinz the day it came out. Got Dove Shack about a month later. I remember i was not impressed with Dove Shacks album but i loved Tha Twinz album from day 1.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Round and Round, 4 Eyes 2 Heads and Eastside LB got a lot of play on BET Rap City. Same thing with Summertime in the LBC. Only video i never saw was Jump Ta Dis. Didn’t even know there was a video for it til I found it years ago on youtube. That one got no airplay. Not sure if Dove Shack had any other videos out but didn’t see them either. I bought Twinz the day it came out. Got Dove Shack about a month later. I remember i was not impressed with Dove Shacks album but i loved Tha Twinz album from day 1.

You copped Twinz on the Release Date?  Much props to you then big homie!  What city do you live in?

Also nice to know that BET did show a little love to Twinz and Dove Shack videos.  That was still that strange time in the mid-90's for BET when the channel in the midwest was like split between BET and some other channel, so I don't really remember catching that 4:00 oclock afterschool RapCity time until 98.  I remember seeing videos on BET then but not the show RapCity, so maybe that's why I missed it.

You remember if those albums were selling at all at that time like any hype around them or promotion?

teecee

If you read Rap Pages and the Source, you knew these albums were dropping.  I live in Canada, and Much Music played Eastsode LB and Summertime in the LBC all the time.

Bought Twinz a week after it dropped, Doce Shack a couple weeks late.  Twinz blew me away as I immediately recognized it was really a continuation of Regulate in terms of production style. The Dove Shack album was far less consistent and I've never loved it aside from a few tracks.  There second, Japanese only release is much better.

I

Sccit

If you read Rap Pages and the Source, you knew these albums were dropping.  I live in Canada, and Much Music played Eastsode LB and Summertime in the LBC all the time.

Bought Twinz a week after it dropped, Doce Shack a couple weeks late.  Twinz blew me away as I immediately recognized it was really a continuation of Regulate in terms of production style. The Dove Shack album was far less consistent and I've never loved it aside from a few tracks.  There second, Japanese only release is much better.

I

that’s a whole nother thread in its own

why the fuck was their sophomore album exclusive to japan? smh