Poll

Which song is better?

Mack 10 (feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg & Ice Cube) - Only In California
5 (23.8%)
Daz Dillinger (feat. Lady V) - In California
16 (76.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Only In California Vs In California  (Read 2577 times)

Okka

Only In California Vs In California
« on: June 21, 2019, 02:07:34 AM »
Both songs are classics. Which one do you prefer?

The following users thanked this post: kingsol81

doggfather

Re: Only In California Vs In California
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:41:59 AM »
Mack 10.

wscg 4 life!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

kuruptlon

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:57:05 PM »
Both great songs, but I got to go with In California just because the vibe is just straight California sunshine.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
I’ve always liked the Daz track better

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 02:06:27 PM »
Both bangers but I got to go with Daz...

...Daz still had bangers stockpiled for his album from Death Row’s prime and this joint should’ve been a big hit.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »

...Daz still had bangers stockpiled for his album from Death Row’s prime and this joint should’ve been a big hit.

probably the most slept on Death Row album of all time...still gets play from me frequently

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
In California easily. One of dazs all time best tracks.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 12:02:40 AM »
good thread

i like mack 10’s better.. i remember that shit was big on the radio out here when it first dropped so i had it memorized at about 10 years old

both classic joints tho, so u can’t go wrong either way

doggfather

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 02:39:17 AM »
good thread

i like mack 10’s better.. i remember that shit was big on the radio out here when it first dropped so i had it memorized at about 10 years old

both classic joints tho, so u can’t go wrong either way

my man!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »

probably the most slept on Death Row album of all time...still gets play from me frequently

Yeah man, all these Daz interviews, but I never heard much reflection on this album.  Just some bits and pieces here and there.  Reggie Wright gave a bit of background at the time and talked about a plan they had for “might sound crazy” video and the Snoop/No Limit situation around that time and Daz relationship with Snoop, his position at Death Row...very interesting period... it’s almost damn near heroic Daz pulled off an album of that quality as Death Row was falling apart at that time. 

I’d like to hear Daz opinion though if he was disappointed wit not even going gold off that gem of an album and why it didn’t sell better, etc
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

Okka

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 04:57:01 AM »
I made this thread 'cause of this old MTV article i read about Daz' and his first album. I think I've posted it once before some years ago? He actually talks about "Only In California" too, he was supposed to be on it, but he started beefin' with Snoop so they took him out of the song. Daz still has a writin' credit on it, I'm lookin' at the booklet right now. I think this was around the same time when Snoop and Mack 10 supposedly recorded a diss song about Daz. Snoop spoke on it on one of his old DubCNN interviews. Anyway, I love both songs, but I've always liked "In California" more, it's just a perfect song for the summer. Both songs are though.

SAN FRANCISCO -- For a time during the making of his first solo album, Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, gangsta-rapper and g-funk producer Daz Dillinger worried that the big switch might have been thrown on Death Row. The controversial label had lost its signature rap-superstars Snoop Doggy Dog, 2Pac and Dr. Dre., and Dillinger's former Dogg Pound partner Kurupt had made the leap to his own Wall Street Records. "Everyone thought 'Snoop Dogg left, Kurupt left,' but they forgot about Daz," the 24-year-old rapper said in an interview at San Francisco's Hotel Triton on Friday. "I was never like how they was, all in the limelight. I was the underboss of the Dogg Pound, [and] still is." In fact, Dillinger said he almost bolted from the label, but he finally decided to stick with what he knew best. "[I was thinking] 'Everyone else was leaving, so maybe I should leave, too,' " he explained. "And then I was just like 'Fuck it, it's on. I've got to make the best of this shit.' " The result is the rapper's recently released Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, which Dillinger described as "some bang'n hard-core ass shit." One of Dillinger's favorite cuts on the album is "It Might Sound Crazy" , a song that he described as "pimp shit" -- referring to a lifestyle of living large -- that features the lyrical stylings of rap's original self-proclaimed pimp, Too $hort. Dressed in a blue T-shirt and sweat pants with a large, golden emblem of a Dogg Pound dog paw hanging on a chain around his neck, Dillinger said the genesis of the track kicked in when he first met Too $hort at a West Coast meeting of some of rap's top dogs. "I hooked up with Too $hort at Ice-T's place at this West Coast meeting," he explained. "Me, [Westside Connection member] WC, Too $hort, just a gang of people watching the [Tyson-Holyfield] fight. We're over there looking at that and then we just started having meetings in the back." After bonding with Too $hort, Dillinger said he knew that "It Might Sound Crazy" was made for the West Coast rap legend as soon as he heard it. "We went over to Priest's [Brooks, one of Dillinger's musical collaborators] house and he had 'It Might Sound Crazy' on his drum machine. He was playing it and I was like, 'Damn, that's like Too $hort!' You know, I can hear motherfuckers on these tracks. That's how I make music. That's how I make a beat, I can just hear someone on that track." While the album is loaded with Dillinger's g-funk sound, it also comes with a new sensibility that has much to do with the recent turbulence in the rap scene. He noted that he has modified the presentation of his songs a bit in the wake of the deaths of his former labelmate the late gangsta-rapper Tupac Shakur and cross-coast rival Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace. "We definitely looked and definitely learned from [their] mistakes," Dillinger said. "We learned what to do and what not to do. Not to get rowdy, rowdy with it, but to be conservative." Brooks, who goes by the name "Soopafly" and has a solo album coming out in May, agrees with Dillinger that maturity has affected how they write and perform. "Right now, niggas don't give a fuck, but back then we really didn't give a fuck," he explained. "Now they're grown, they got kids, family, houses, they're payin' taxes and that grown-up shit that you've got to deal with. You gotta know that if you fuck up this way, you won't be rapping tomorrow." One of the album's songs that Dillinger and Brooks were involved in, "In California", was a sort of settling of musical accounts. It was provoked by Mack 10's cut, "Only In California," from his upcoming The Recipe, a song that Dillinger helped to write but was precluded from performing on because of a disagreement in the studio. Dillinger said he recorded "In California" as a way to make sure that his message got across, but he shrugged at the idea of feeling excluded from the Mack 10 hit. "I'm not worried," he said, " 'cos I'm getting paid from both of them." With Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back on the burner and such labelmates as the Outlawz and Soopafly active in their own right, Dillinger said he thinks that Death Row has a lot of life left in it. "We just going to continue to do our thing," he said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/151460/daz-dillinger-living-large-on-death-row/

The following users thanked this post: dj coma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 12:13:18 AM »
I made this thread 'cause of this old MTV article i read about Daz' and his first album. I think I've posted it once before some years ago? He actually talks about "Only In California" too, he was supposed to be on it, but he started beefin' with Snoop so they took him out of the song. Daz still has a writin' credit on it, I'm lookin' at the booklet right now. I think this was around the same time when Snoop and Mack 10 supposedly recorded a diss song about Daz. Snoop spoke on it on one of his old DubCNN interviews. Anyway, I love both songs, but I've always liked "In California" more, it's just a perfect song for the summer. Both songs are though.

SAN FRANCISCO -- For a time during the making of his first solo album, Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, gangsta-rapper and g-funk producer Daz Dillinger worried that the big switch might have been thrown on Death Row. The controversial label had lost its signature rap-superstars Snoop Doggy Dog, 2Pac and Dr. Dre., and Dillinger's former Dogg Pound partner Kurupt had made the leap to his own Wall Street Records. "Everyone thought 'Snoop Dogg left, Kurupt left,' but they forgot about Daz," the 24-year-old rapper said in an interview at San Francisco's Hotel Triton on Friday. "I was never like how they was, all in the limelight. I was the underboss of the Dogg Pound, [and] still is." In fact, Dillinger said he almost bolted from the label, but he finally decided to stick with what he knew best. "[I was thinking] 'Everyone else was leaving, so maybe I should leave, too,' " he explained. "And then I was just like 'Fuck it, it's on. I've got to make the best of this shit.' " The result is the rapper's recently released Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back, which Dillinger described as "some bang'n hard-core ass shit." One of Dillinger's favorite cuts on the album is "It Might Sound Crazy" , a song that he described as "pimp shit" -- referring to a lifestyle of living large -- that features the lyrical stylings of rap's original self-proclaimed pimp, Too $hort. Dressed in a blue T-shirt and sweat pants with a large, golden emblem of a Dogg Pound dog paw hanging on a chain around his neck, Dillinger said the genesis of the track kicked in when he first met Too $hort at a West Coast meeting of some of rap's top dogs. "I hooked up with Too $hort at Ice-T's place at this West Coast meeting," he explained. "Me, [Westside Connection member] WC, Too $hort, just a gang of people watching the [Tyson-Holyfield] fight. We're over there looking at that and then we just started having meetings in the back." After bonding with Too $hort, Dillinger said he knew that "It Might Sound Crazy" was made for the West Coast rap legend as soon as he heard it. "We went over to Priest's [Brooks, one of Dillinger's musical collaborators] house and he had 'It Might Sound Crazy' on his drum machine. He was playing it and I was like, 'Damn, that's like Too $hort!' You know, I can hear motherfuckers on these tracks. That's how I make music. That's how I make a beat, I can just hear someone on that track." While the album is loaded with Dillinger's g-funk sound, it also comes with a new sensibility that has much to do with the recent turbulence in the rap scene. He noted that he has modified the presentation of his songs a bit in the wake of the deaths of his former labelmate the late gangsta-rapper Tupac Shakur and cross-coast rival Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace. "We definitely looked and definitely learned from [their] mistakes," Dillinger said. "We learned what to do and what not to do. Not to get rowdy, rowdy with it, but to be conservative." Brooks, who goes by the name "Soopafly" and has a solo album coming out in May, agrees with Dillinger that maturity has affected how they write and perform. "Right now, niggas don't give a fuck, but back then we really didn't give a fuck," he explained. "Now they're grown, they got kids, family, houses, they're payin' taxes and that grown-up shit that you've got to deal with. You gotta know that if you fuck up this way, you won't be rapping tomorrow." One of the album's songs that Dillinger and Brooks were involved in, "In California", was a sort of settling of musical accounts. It was provoked by Mack 10's cut, "Only In California," from his upcoming The Recipe, a song that Dillinger helped to write but was precluded from performing on because of a disagreement in the studio. Dillinger said he recorded "In California" as a way to make sure that his message got across, but he shrugged at the idea of feeling excluded from the Mack 10 hit. "I'm not worried," he said, " 'cos I'm getting paid from both of them." With Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back on the burner and such labelmates as the Outlawz and Soopafly active in their own right, Dillinger said he thinks that Death Row has a lot of life left in it. "We just going to continue to do our thing," he said.

http://www.mtv.com/news/151460/daz-dillinger-living-large-on-death-row/

wish we could hear the Daz version of "Only In California", it's probably a better version anyway.  This article was alright but I feel like I've seen it before.  What I'd really like to hear is Daz, or anybody for that matter, reflect on the album in retrospect.  It deserved much more than to just be an album that sort of came and went.  I know I was bumping it as the first album in my rotation from the day of its release in Spring 98' up until Slim Shady LP dropped Feb 99

ChuckTaylor84

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »
In California is a classic  8)

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Okka

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 02:37:38 AM »
In California is a classic  8)

Both songs are, but I do prefer "In California" too.

The Predator

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 03:45:21 AM »
Years ago a freind of mine worked at this massive airport warehouse that dealt with aviation gold jewellery, cartier watches, top brand liquor  etc...there was a hi-fi in the managers office connected to speakers throughout the place.

The old night-shift workers used to play the wackest radio channels, every night that damn Titanic love song every hour or so. They never got sick of it.

One day, me and a few others snuck in too see on his last night there, we poured out the liquor and blazed up and took over the hi-fi.

I slapped in a fresh tape of Mack 10's 'Based On A True Story' on the hi-fi deck, those working below were in shock that someone jacked thier radio and replaced it with some hoo-bangin shit.
The look on thier faces was priceless and they was snarlin.

Blasted the whole fuckin album, 'Only In Cali' bumped in the warehouse haha.

The following users thanked this post: Okka, Sccit