Author Topic: SNOOP DOGG - I WANNA THANK ME (Official Discussion)  (Read 27365 times)

SuperSpider

Re: SNOOP DOGG - I WANNA THANK ME (NEW ALBUM 8/16)
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2019, 02:17:41 AM »
It's always the ones that never set foot in the US or experienced the culture first hand trying to lecture you on what's organic and what not

:tupachappy: :tupachappy: :tupachappy:

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Jay_J

« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2019, 03:13:04 AM »
It's always the ones that never set foot in the US or experienced the culture first hand trying to lecture you on what's organic and what not

Thats where people fail. NY'ers told same thing to people in Cali. Because they didnt have something wise enough to say about hiphop, so it was easy to say "hey im from NY, hiphop was born here". Black people did same thing to whites. "Hey dude you are not even black, what the fuck do you know bout hiphop". So lets just talk and discuss and please be polite. It doesnt matter where you from, what race you are... respect first.

SuperSpider

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2019, 04:30:28 AM »

Thats where people fail. NY'ers told same thing to people in Cali. Because they didnt have something wise enough to say about hiphop, so it was easy to say "hey im from NY, hiphop was born here". Black people did same thing to whites. "Hey dude you are not even black, what the fuck do you know bout hiphop". So lets just talk and discuss and please be polite. It doesnt matter where you from, what race you are... respect first.

I've always been respectful and got nothing but love for everyone on here, including now, but that's not the point.

You don't seem to be making the difference between New Yorkers telling people from Cali ''our sound is what hip-hop is, your style is not hip-hop''
and
(for example) people from Turkey telling people from Cali (like Sccit) what Cali rap is or sounds like. 

Point is, 1 Up Top Ahk is not a trap album, sounds nothing like a trap album and bears no resemblance whatsoever to trap.

WestWestYA

« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2019, 05:00:26 AM »
anybody can name other album came out in late 10 years which sounds more "west coast gangsta rap" than this? and it should be better than this overall. dont name something trash just because it sounds west coast gangsta rap.

mozzy 1 up top ahk

this is not west coast, this is trap flavoured mainstream.

what?

sit the fuck down homie

are you serious it sounds west coast gangsta rap? are we talking about same thing?
Yo eat a big fat dick. If u think 1 up top ahk is not gangsta rap.

You need to let one in your mouth go out first, because i cant hear what u are talking bout.

Then, we are talking about music here. When we say west coast gangsta rap, it doesnt mean only lyrical content.

Im talking about west coast vibe. Understand? If not you can go on sucking.
What u r trying to say is you wanted a "G FUNK" album from snoop right?. Because there is not such a sound called West coast gangsta rap. If so, just so you know that sound is 99.8% dead.

Jay_J

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2019, 05:06:28 AM »

I've always been respectful and got nothing but love for everyone on here, including now, but that's not the point.

You don't seem to be making the difference between New Yorkers telling people from Cali ''our sound is what hip-hop is, your style is not hip-hop''
and
(for example) people from Turkey telling people from Cali (like Sccit) what Cali rap is or sounds like. 

Point is, 1 Up Top Ahk is not a trap album, sounds nothing like a trap album and bears no resemblance whatsoever to trap.

Ok i will give a one more spin to it. I just checked a few songs fast and it was full of trap drums and lofi instruments and thats why it sounded kinda trap and mainstream. I will listen to it when im free again and let you know.

Jay_J

« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2019, 05:13:34 AM »

and

By the way i didnt say this is cali rap and this is not. I didnt do that. But i can do it, im able to call what west coast hip hop is and what is not. Like you guys can do it. We all can learn things from each other about culture, i learned too much even by just following this forum. You better dont be surprised if one of you guys from cali learn something new from someone from turkey today.  We all studied this culture by listening and reading for year, me for over 20 years for example. Be open minded.

SuperSpider

« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2019, 05:28:25 AM »

and

By the way i didnt say this is cali rap and this is not. I didnt do that. But i can do it, im able to call what west coast hip hop is and what is not. Like you guys can do it. We all can learn things from each other about culture, i learned too much even by just following this forum. You better dont be surprised if one of you guys from cali learn something new from someone from turkey today.  We all studied this culture by listening and reading for year, me for over 20 years for example. Be open minded.

I've got no harsh feelings for you man, hope you enjoy Mozzy's album, but if not - there's plenty other artists around.

Jay_J

« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2019, 05:29:55 AM »
anybody can name other album came out in late 10 years which sounds more "west coast gangsta rap" than this? and it should be better than this overall. dont name something trash just because it sounds west coast gangsta rap.

mozzy 1 up top ahk

this is not west coast, this is trap flavoured mainstream.

what?

sit the fuck down homie

are you serious it sounds west coast gangsta rap? are we talking about same thing?
Yo eat a big fat dick. If u think 1 up top ahk is not gangsta rap.

You need to let one in your mouth go out first, because i cant hear what u are talking bout.

Then, we are talking about music here. When we say west coast gangsta rap, it doesnt mean only lyrical content.

Im talking about west coast vibe. Understand? If not you can go on sucking.
What u r trying to say is you wanted a "G FUNK" album from snoop right?. Because there is not such a sound called West coast gangsta rap. If so, just so you know that sound is 99.8% dead.

Can you call "The Last Meal" a g-funk album? It had some elements of course, but it had is own vibe which you can certainly call it West Coast HipHop.

Does these new Bc beats sound same like he did in late 90s and early 2000's??? No totally different but when you hear it you know its BC production and its still too West Coast. Its about the tempo, elements and the vibe.

Im not expecting another space boogie from Kurupt. Space Boogie 2 will sound totally different and im so excited to hear it because Fred really upgreaded himself. He became a monster lately. Dont be surprised if he gets grammy with "make it better" of Paak.

Gfunk is only one piece of West Coast hiphop. I was expecting a well mix mastered, west coast banging snoop album, and i got more than i expected with "I wanna thank me". Im totally happy about it. And you know what this type of vibe doesnt sell in this age of music today. Snoop did it with no business concern and i appriciate that.

Jay_J

« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2019, 05:33:35 AM »

and

I've got no harsh feelings for you man, hope you enjoy Mozzy's album, but if not - there's plenty other artists around.

Im dying to listen something makes me feel excited. But i cant find lately for years. Even i dont like kendrick's music or i say its not my type so nobody get angry with me :)). I liked only to pimp a butterfly. I'll check Mozzy.

SuperSpider

« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2019, 05:35:46 AM »

and

Im dying to listen something makes me feel excited. But i cant find lately for years. Even i dont like kendrick's music or i say its not my type so nobody get angry with me :)). I liked only to pimp a butterfly. I'll check Mozzy.

Give these two tracks a try if you don't have the time for a complete project

Sccit

« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2019, 05:36:45 AM »

and

Ok i will give a one more spin to it. I just checked a few songs fast and it was full of trap drums and lofi instruments and thats why it sounded kinda trap and mainstream. I will listen to it when im free again and let you know.

were not talking about the same album

1 up top ahk was well produced and had an overwhelmingly mob music sound to it

Jay_J

« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2019, 05:41:33 AM »

and

were not talking about the same album

1 up top ahk was well produced and had an overwhelmingly mob music sound to it

I said "not well produced and badly mixed" about Young Maylay's album. I will check 1 up top ahk.

The Predator

« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »
5 Things To Expect Pushing Play On Snoop Dogg’s "I Wanna Thank Me" Album

At a ceremony commemorating his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last November, Snoop Dogg concluded his speech with four simple words: “I wanna thank me.”

The moment quickly went viral, showing the enduring charisma of the West Coast legend.

Over the last few years, Snoop has become a pop culture icon. He’s released a cookbook, starred in a TV show alongside Martha Stewart and started his own line of cannabis — to name just a few of his numerous projects. But simultaneously, he’s been devoted to his musical craft and has ventured into new genres like gospel and reggae. His upcoming 17th album, I Wanna Thank Me, is focused on his legacy as he enters his fourth decade in show business.

A listening party for the new album that saw Snoop in good spirits, holding court at his famous Inglewood compound. He answered a wide range of questions from the press and showcased the first part of an upcoming, highly personal documentary about his life that features stars such as Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Diddy and LA Philharmonic conductor Gustavo Dudamel.

Here are the five reasons to give Snoop’s I Wanna Thank Me the time of day.

1. There’s Something For Everyone

This is an eclectic project that checks off a lot of boxes. Want a Latin trap track? He’s teamed up with Ozuna. A sensual song? Snoop’s got you covered. Something to dance to at the club? Chris Brown and YG are here. As a follow-up to last year’s gospel album Bible of Love, it’s also a return to form for the “Gin & Juice” rapper; he resurrects the G-Funk sound (the late Nate Dogg shows up) and tropes of gangsta rap.

Impressively, the album never seems scattered or unfocused. Each song emulates a different style but with confidence and ease. He told DX during the recording process, he listened to a diversity of genres because contemporary rappers no longer inspire him, remarking, “I am not in your lane anymore.”

In regards to current artists he admires, he gave a shout out to R&B singer H.E.R.: “She puts me in the zone to make some music that says something because her music says something.”

2. This Isn’t Just About His Legacy — It’s About Hip Hop’s As Well

The “Drop It Like It’s Hot” facet of the legendary artist’s skill set has been a pivotal part of Hip Hop’s commercial climb. At the press conference, Snoop expressed his frustration with how mainstream culture still holds a stigma towards Hip Hop.

He said that although Hip Hop is “the only form of music that connects all walks of life” and that many musicians outside of the culture perpetually steal from the genre, older rappers are thrown in the dustbin of pop culture. With I Wanna Thank Me, Snoop wanted to celebrate the genre’s roots and raise awareness of its history.

Explaining his decision to include turntable sounds, he said it was “taking it back to the element of Hip Hop” where it was just a “DJ and an MC” and hoped to educate people about a Hip Hop that goes beyond current trends like Auto-Tune and monotonous drum patterns. Though I Wanna Thank Me’s title is boastful, the West Coast legend is focused on the bigger picture.

3. He Addresses Death Row’s Notorious History

Anyone familiar with Hip Hop history can tell you Death Row Records has had its fair share of controversies and inner-feuds. It was only fairly recently when Snoop said he’s squashed his beef with the infamous Suge Knight. He brings up the drama on his new album, dedicating a song to Knight and the record label’s broader legacy.

At the listening party, Snoop explained his decision as a way of getting ahead of the petty gossip and lies and honoring not only truth, but also the nuances of a multi-decade relationship.

“I wanted to tell the story in an appropriate way to celebrate the fun times and the love that we had and the things that he [Suge] did that were wrong and the things he did that were right,” he said.

At 47, Snoop is feeling quite reflective and trying to complicate the media narrative of Knight as a public enemy. He discussed Death Row Legacy’s history as similarly complex.

“It wasn’t all bad; it was a beautiful ride — it just got bad when egos and money got involved,” he said. “As far as our friendship, our brotherhood, and or love, we always kept that.”

4. This Is Still Commercial Snoop

Over the course of his career, Tha Doggfather has proven himself to be a shapeshifter by keeping up with the evolving musical landscape.

When making I Wanna Thank Me, Snoop said he envisioned how the songs would sound on stage. Even as he gets more socially conscious in his lyrics and embraces a more soulful sound, he’s still keeping his ear to the ground of what’s trending and wants to continue to make the kind of bangers that made him famous.

5. Nipsey Hussle’s Tragic Death Influenced The Project

Last April, Snoop gave an emotional speech at Nipsey Hussle’s memorial service. Following the L.A. rap star’s death, there was a rare moment of unity between the Crips and Bloods. That potential for mutual understanding is one of the numerous themes on Tha Doggfather’s 17th album.

Snoop explained to the press he hopes this could be a turning point in the culture.

“It’s just a matter of somebody being man enough to say ‘Enough is enough,'” he said. “Now’s the time I’m stepping forward and I am putting peace in the air. Hopefully, you guys will follow and lead by example.’”

I Wanna Thank Me will be available on August 16.

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM

Jay_J

« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »
does anybody know why Kokane doesn't future on Snoop projects anymore? arent they cool anymore? he should sound really good on some BC beats on IWTM

also Butch Cassidy, why dont Snoop let him spit his own shit on the album? Butch comes 2nd after Nate. West should be thankful to still have him alive.

dan9700

« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »
lets just be honest in a few days no one will care about this trash album, it has zero replay value and another album downloaded and deleted