Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Dr. Dre 2001 (The Source Review)  (Read 2535 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re:Dr. Dre - Dr. Dre 2001 (The Source Review)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2003, 09:58:09 AM »
up to the next episode........u probably had a 6/5 album................the next half was like a 3.75/5 shit. im my opinion

overall, i say a 4.75/5 joint which is gotta  have one of the best first half  if not the best first half of a cd ever created both production wise and just for joints to bang

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 02:52:48 PM »
Man Let's get high is still one of my favorite songs 2 hear in a party...it doesn't exactly fit the rest of the album but so what, it's baaaangin.

I would give it 5 mics, with close to the same review. The skits like Bar One suck azz crack, and its a few songs u skip....but in my opinion, its best songs aren't nearly as good as the best songs on the Chronic, but then it's worst songs are about the same or better than the worst songs on chronic.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2003, 01:36:16 PM »
9.5/10
Only problem are the useless skits and bad intro.  You cut those out and maybe slice 2 tracks, it's flawless.
this album i soooo fucking good, beats are amaizng, and different rapers, and diferent moods, the skits kinda ruin the flow

Ignyte

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2003, 03:54:41 AM »
I think the album probably deserves four, although some of the skits got annoying I think some were quite funny and the beats were bangin'. Although it is a shame there really wasn't a solo song.
Coz you see at the age of birth, we was contaminated with the caucasions curse/
I dont know what came first, the pententiary or the purse/
But I aint into that crap, I'd rather lay back and start working on my raps/
While you niggas stay strapped, with a hoe on your lap, with a dirty puss and crack/
While I stay intact with my people, and carry the mic which is lethal/

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2003, 09:45:26 AM »
the message was practicaly solo, i mean mary was singing, but he was doing all the rapping, and it perfectly ended the cd

TheSheriff

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 02:15:38 PM »
I'd give it a 4.5/5, too. And there are two solo songs, or at least, solo raps...The Watcher, and The Message

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 02:28:21 PM »
5 mics definately, a timeless classic.
I would even go so far to say it's one of the best albums ever.

misskebina

• Lil Geezy
  • The Westcoast Is Back !!!
Re: Dr. Dre - Dr. Dre 2001 (The Source Review)
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 10:56:16 AM »
5/5  8)

Okka

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 01:48:40 PM »
5 mics definately, a timeless classic.
I would even go so far to say it's one of the best albums ever.

"2001" is the best album ever made, followed by the original "Chronic"...

WestCoasta

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »

4.9 outta 5

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 06:17:09 PM »
I haven't listened to this album in quite some time.

When I first heard it, I thought great, this album gets off to a great start. The Watcher straight up knocks and then it's followed by Fuck You, which has a great slow rolling funk style beat. Devin the Dude sounds really good on this song. Then after Fuck You come my 2 favorites, Still Dre and Big Egos.

Still Dre is just amazing, one of the best rap songs ever possibly. Production-wise, we're talking about groundbreaking material. It was then followed up by Big Egos, with a similar beat to Still Dre, but much darker and a little slower with the piano chord progression. Hittman tears the track in half and then some. The album continues to flow nicely despite the speed bump called Xplosive and a horrendous Kurupt verse but the ride continues with What's the Difference, Forgot About Dre and Next Episode.

After these songs, the album goes downhill with horrid skits and awful songs like Murda Ink and Bitch Niggas. The album does finish up strong with LA Niggas, Bang Bang and The Message.

Overall, I feel this album is way too inconsistent to warrant the classic label that many give it. Some of the songs are groundbreaking musically, such as Still Dre and Forgot About Dre, which are absolutely mind blowing in the production quality. The album as a whole is nicely produced. However you can't have a song like "Bitch Niggas" on a classic album. Also, this album lacked replay value.

Dre did succeed in doing what he wanted to do, and that was change the landscape of hip hop musically. Like with the first Chronic and Doggystyle, many producers came out the woodwork co-opting Dre's chronic 2001 production style. Dre is still the standardbearer that other producers look towards to determine if their music is tight. That won't change anytime soon. However, it's not enough to make this album a classic that many believe it to be.

If you want a classic album that dropped the same day, Get Streetz is a Mutha by Kurupt.

4 mics
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

WestCoasta

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 06:24:27 PM »
^^^ I agree, you make some good points

I love that Kurupt verse though  ;D

I still think it's a classic album just for the fact that you can play it from start to finish if you want

overrated in the sense that it's untouchable, but still so good I can't hate on any of those songs

(I don't like Murder Ink track though  :P)

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 04:41:43 AM »
I disagree a lil' bit.

Murder Ink was not good, but Bitch Niggaz is one of my favourite tracks on the album!

Saying that, back in early '00 when I copped this, I skipped Bitch Niggaz on every play-through until about a year ago.

XaNdEr

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2006, 05:04:23 AM »
personally i think its overhyped, its very good material, but the unnecessary skits and too few solo cuts make it 9 out of 10 for me

i like hittmans style so i can enjoy every track he's on, if you dont like hittman, you gotta problem with this album tho  :P

BigMajorDawg

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
One of the best albums i've ever heard in my life since 1992...