Author Topic: TOP 50 WEST COAST (SOCAL) RAPPERS  (Read 2697 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: TOP 50 WEST COAST (SOCAL) RAPPERS
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 12:18:42 AM »
List isn’t far from my own... but how can you say West Coast without Nate?   Nate can not be categorized as an R&B or a soul singer like Mary J.  The shit Nate does is the same as the Bone singing on a record and you wouldn’t say that Bone is R&B?

Now put the fallen legend in his proper place in the top 10
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

SuperSpider

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2019, 03:01:19 AM »
List isn’t far from my own... but how can you say West Coast without Nate?   Nate can not be categorized as an R&B or a soul singer like Mary J.  The shit Nate does is the same as the Bone singing on a record and you wouldn’t say that Bone is R&B?

But Bone Thugz also (and predominantly) rap apart from singing on records. Nate has only ever rapped on one record unlike Kokane for example, it's apples and oranges really. If you put Nate on the list then Butch has to be on it too and once you get onto that side of the genre where would you stop ...Bo Roc, LV and so on

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »

bone thugs are rappers who harmonize, nate strictly sings.. so thats a terrible example.

just because nate is prominent in west coast hip-hop doesn’t make him a rapper. he would go on a singer list.

if u wanna put nate on there, we gota put butch cassidy, danny boy, bo roc, michel’le, anderson paak .. where do we draw the line?

if u consider nate an emcee, then ur not being genuine.

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 08:58:07 AM »

But Bone Thugz also (and predominantly) rap apart from singing on records. Nate has only ever rapped on one record unlike Kokane for example, it's apples and oranges really. If you put Nate on the list then Butch has to be on it too and once you get onto that side of the genre where would you stop ...Bo Roc, LV and so on

exactly

nate is not a rapper .. he’s said that himself.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 01:18:52 AM »

Look, it's a bit subjective cause I do realize the dude is "singing" so I understand why some might not place him as a rapper. 

...But everything else about Nate says he is a rapper.  Production is hip-hop, collaborators are hip-hop (it's not like he was doing tracks with Whitney Houston and Brian Mcknight) styles are all hip-hop, demeanor is hip-hop, the fans of his music are rap fans not R&B fans, the same people that are listenin to Dogg Pound are the same people that are loyal to Nate.  I mean everything about the dude is hip-hop, but just because he is singing on a record...

He should be called A RAPPER WHO SINGS!

It's all subjective and up to the journalists and marketing execs to figure out and if I remember correctly they did used to place him in the rap section of stores.

So my West Coast Rap list would have all them dudes on it like...

7.  Nate
34. Kokane
39.  Butch Cassidy

...something like that
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:22:53 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

SuperSpider

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 02:12:31 AM »

collaborators are hip-hop (it's not like he was doing tracks with Whitney Houston and Brian Mcknight)

Lol come on now, are you even trying  ;D ;D ;D

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2019, 05:32:40 AM »

Look, it's a bit subjective cause I do realize the dude is "singing" so I understand why some might not place him as a rapper. 

...But everything else about Nate says he is a rapper.  Production is hip-hop, collaborators are hip-hop (it's not like he was doing tracks with Whitney Houston and Brian Mcknight) styles are all hip-hop, demeanor is hip-hop, the fans of his music are rap fans not R&B fans, the same people that are listenin to Dogg Pound are the same people that are loyal to Nate.  I mean everything about the dude is hip-hop, but just because he is singing on a record...

He should be called A RAPPER WHO SINGS!

It's all subjective and up to the journalists and marketing execs to figure out and if I remember correctly they did used to place him in the rap section of stores.

So my West Coast Rap list would have all them dudes on it like...

7.  Nate
34. Kokane
39.  Butch Cassidy

...something like that

kokane actually raps tho, thats why he’s on my list.

and if u heard g-funk classics vol 1 & 2, u would see that nate actually did collaborate/had his share of duets with only singers. and yes, he even had a duet with brian mcknight lol.

hip-hop soul/gangsta soul ..... that’s what its defined as when your collaborators/production is rap oriented, but you’re straight singing.

nate has corrected people in the past when they called him a rapper.

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2019, 07:55:35 AM »
It’s true. Even to this day if you go into Ameoba or any other record store Nate will be in the Hip Hop section

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
It’s true. Even to this day if you go into Ameoba or any other record store Nate will be in the Hip Hop section

yup .. because of the features and production

he’s still not a rapper tho

even funnier, anderson paak actually raps and his music is in the r&b section

SuperSpider

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »

hip-hop ≠ rap tho

doggfather

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
this is HIS list.
make your own man.
(to everybody)
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Game-Won

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2019, 04:16:13 AM »
since it’s impossible to get all the legends in 1 list, i’m doin mine by region

up next = bay area/norcal

8)

Dope list would  put Game in 1/2nd depending on my Pac mood. 2 Favorite rappers.
and remove Fatlip, Tone Loc, Domino & Suga Free(not my kind of rappers)

Would add King Lil G, Glasses Malone, Skeme, Schoolboy Q, YG & Jay Rock

But I am hard pressed to add names and remove others and in a top 50 thats crasy. - I do not agree on order tho =)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:33:48 AM by Game-Won »
"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe