Author Topic: Just hit me Kurupt was probably speaking on Juice Crew on “New York, New York”  (Read 327 times)

Infinite Trapped in 1996

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Permenent Resident of 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Was watching KRS on Drink Champs and Kurupt’s line “oh you got the juice I squeeze the juice” that Kurupt was probably speaking on the Juice Crew... not really a diss or anything but just kind of like a jab or a reference of East Coast counterparts and their claim to dominance as Emcee’s

"I will make records as big or bigger than Death Row".   -Dre, Source 1996

"I didn't do nothing but make people money and I didn't leave nobody high and dry.  Any album (on death row) people are going to check for.  But it's time for Dre to worry about Dre.  I'm focused on the new Snoop Doggs, not like that but you know what I mean."

Dre -  Source 1996 cover

"Eminem will be bigger than Michael Jackson as long as he doesn't change."

-Dre, Rolling Stones mag 1999 Em cover

Okka

Was watching KRS on Drink Champs and Kurupt’s line “oh you got the juice I squeeze the juice” that Kurupt was probably speaking on the Juice Crew... not really a diss or anything but just kind of like a jab or a reference of East Coast counterparts and their claim to dominance as Emcee’s

It's "Oh you got the juice? I squeeze you juiceless".

Infinite Trapped in 1996

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline

It's "Oh you got the juice? I squeeze you juiceless".

Yes thanks for the clarification...

The word follow Juice-less was “it’s” so I don’t know it kind of ran together in my head

"I didn't do nothing but make people money and I didn't leave nobody high and dry.  Any album (on death row) people are going to check for.  But it's time for Dre to worry about Dre.  I'm focused on the new Snoop Doggs, not like that but you know what I mean."

Dre -  Source 1996 cover

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • way more karma than posts
Oh, good point. Never thought about it that way.
You're probably right. And not everything is meant as a straight up diss.
Sometimes it's just friendly competition.
It's battle rap, MC shit, that's what the whole song is all about.
Unfortunately it was misinterpreted and lead to a whole bunch of crazy beef.

JeremyM

I figured it was a reference to having power, the same way it's used in the film Juice.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Profile.

Yeah, I feel that's a reach. Kurupt has always talked about the song being a head nod to the East Coast. It wouldn't make sense to send shots. That is, until the video haha

Infinite Trapped in 1996

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
Yeah, I feel that's a reach. Kurupt has always talked about the song being a head nod to the East Coast. It wouldn't make sense to send shots. That is, until the video haha

I mean yeah, a lot of it is just hiphop and if he was thinking of the Juice Crew then yeah that was probably nothing more than in the spirit of competition. 

There is a side of me though that feels like there is some revisionist history going on whenever rappers act like the East/West thing was only a media invention...the lines were a bit blurred... but I digress

Dre -  Source 1996 cover