Author Topic: Revisiting Bishop Lamont  (Read 1280 times)

thegooddoc

Revisiting Bishop Lamont
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »
Lately I've been checking out The Reformation by Bishop Lamont.   I know that Dre has been known to sign talent and has taken heat for not allow them to develop or release them.  It got me thinking about what could have been with Bishop.  I'll admit that with many of the artist that Dre signs, they are tight, but I can see why he doesn't release them. 

Hitman was cool, but would have had a hard time carrying a whole album by himself.
Knocturnal apparently was dealing with his own demons
Rakim one of the greats, but Dre prefers to work with new artists
Slim Da Mobster cool but would have had trouble crossing to mainstream
Jon Conner, nice lyricist but nothing that really stands out.
The list goes on and on....

After listening to Bishop's old stuff though, I think Dre missed it.  Word was that Bishop was difficult to deal with and he was beefing with The Game, Snoop and Cube.  Dre said he was more controversial than Eminem. There are also the stories about Bishop release tracks without label approval, but damn if Bishop didn't create some great music. 

Besides Grow up, Hallelujah, Dominate, No Stoppin Carson...    The first 8 tracks of the Reformation are fire.  The only thing missing is a proper mix.

Does anybody know if he is still making music?

Mr.West

Re: Revisiting Bishop Lamont
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 03:46:16 AM »
This is from 3 months ago...

Game-Won

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Bishop Lamont i had high hopes. Some of the best lyrics. (Westcoast Papoose?)

I have completely skipped he had/have beef with The Game - What happend?

Hell found it:
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=270942.0

Funny shit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:26:10 PM by Game-Won »
"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

kuruptlon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »
I got excited back in 2017 when I saw him working on his new album Tunnel Vision. The music in the teaser sounds awesome, but I haven't seen anything since.

Link to the teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=17&v=YeW67q7SlPI&feature=emb_title

I believe a user (Marco) posted a version of his Aftermath album last year. Man that album had some heaters on it, though I'm not sure how well it would have done commercially.

My favorite song by him is Can't Figure It Out

NuWest

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 07:22:31 AM »
when Grow Up and Hallelujah dropped I thought Aftermath was going to end The Game. Shame a studio didn't follow. Bishop was very polished and ready to detonate on the world of hiphop, and given his gimmick it would've worked backed behind some clever marketing - shame. Can I get a hook up for BL catalogue? #message

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
i might be in the minority, but although i felt he was a good rapper, i never saw nothin special in bishop.

NuWest

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 08:58:05 AM »
you're in the minority homie - check true crime record

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »
you're in the minority homie - check true crime record

i have 2 or 3 or his cds which i felt were good but not great

what’s true crime?

NuWest

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 04:16:24 AM »
He could've been so huge. Was really talented, had a great ear for beats and was one of the last true MCs to come up before rap totally devolved. His flows and subject matter were phenomenal and was a well rounded artist.

Heck you could organize a couple of classic albums based off his mixtapes alone and with the right push he could've been huge but, and here's where it gets interesting, he was far too cerebral/pro black to promote to the masses.

Thems the facts, massa don't like uppity negroes and if they'd given this one the platform you can bet he would've used it to speak on more than getting crunk in the club and capping rappers in they assess again (which he still would've talked about anyway) as he had the right mix of ignorant and wise. Plus y'all seen how he was acting before he even got on so once he'd gone platinum a few times there is no way they could tell him nothing which is why they shelved him when they knew they couldn't control him.

Interscope like a certain type of controversy but this kind they stay well away from, word to Pac.

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

dnjp4life

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
Yeah Bishop was coming up around the time that the whole Detox album hype was in full swing, and there was a barren period in rap (2006-2008) when personally I felt that there wasn't a whole lot going on. 

That's why I liked him, he had the Dr. Dre and Aftermath stamp of approval, which we all pay attention to, whether we admit to it or not, and he had some great records on his mixtapes which were pretty much album-worthy material.  He had a mix of tracks that were in turns socially-conscious and lyrical, and comedic.  I used to really anticipate him dropping a mixtape and used to come on here and download it as soon as it dropped - his The Confessional mixtape is one of my favourites from any rapper to this date.

For a while I did think he was going to blow up but then after a while with Dre not putting anything out it just felt inevitable that he was gonna be the next shelved rapper on Aftermath to add to the ever-growing list.

I do recall Dre not being happy with him for leaking the track 'Grow Up' without it being finished, and you can imagine Dre the perfectionist being mad as hell for that to happen.  I think he threw a few shots at Snoop Dogg on The Confessional and on the track 'Missile Testing'.  Possibly some Jew bashing as well, and you know his record label wouldn't have looked on that too favourably.

Overall, I still have a good impression of Bishop Lamont and have fond memories of listening to him during that time period.

The following users thanked this post: , Malcy

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
The Confessional remains one of the best albums of the last 15 years...and it was a mixtape.