Author Topic: Gangstarr Appreciation Thread (all I be bumpin these days)  (Read 659 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Gangstarr Appreciation Thread (all I be bumpin these days)
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
Man dude these guys are the truth....what can I say man I am a 37 year old man with a legit 9-5 these days and Gangstarr really hits the spot.. I ain’t got no access to weed or nothing, most high I get is off a few cups of coffee so I gotta do all these Jedi mind tricks and shit just to get myself zoned and this music is hypnotic....

The ideal Gangstarr track for me goes like this...

Guru gets deep in his role as “street preacher” and starts to have visionz of grandeur thinkin he Elijah Muhammad or some shit and he start spittin the street gospel revelation like he head of the hiphop church or something leading mufuckaz out the darkness and into the light

And then Primo hypnotized u wit dat beat.  Only problem is I have to find those Gangstarr joints with the “bright” consonant sounds like in the vein of “Royalty” with “Royalty” being the ultimate Gangstarr joint—because that is the one joint that broke through when even my ears weren’t trained and I was neither a fan of the East Coast or a Gangstarr fan and I was in my deepest stage of ignorance in 98’ at age 16 I remember seeing that video on TV and it being damn near like a spiritual experience.  So now I give to you my top 10 Gangstarr joints—all wit dat sort of sound...

1.  “Royalty”
2.  “Mass Appeal”
3.  “Above the Clouds”
4.  “Know My Steez”
5.  “Alongwaytogo”
6.  “Full Clip”
7,  “What I’m Here For”
8.  “Discipline”
9.  “My Advice 2 You”
10. “Make Um Pay”

Any of them jointz u can put on repeat and be zoned and sleep 4 hours in steady meditation word up!!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

doggfather

Re: Gangstarr Appreciation Thread (all I be bumpin these days)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 01:09:11 AM »
my all time fav is the full clip remix with sticky finagz.  8)

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 03:12:08 AM »
one of my favorite Gang Starr tracks is the 3 men and a Lady remix to "You Know My Steez" featuring Rage and Kurupt...Rage especially tears this up, a Rage album solely produced by Premo would have been :o

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:12:09 AM »

Apparently she ain't finished (the Primo produced LP) yet, but this is kinda old now, so who knows?

I'm loving the new LP (One of The Best Yet), Most consistent LP in terms of beats for me (Guru consistent on all of their LPs). Generally I'd say they got better with each LP.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Elko.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
I should've known Primo had a soft spot for Rage when I heard her sampled on Royce's 'Boom'.

I was also a little late to the Gangstarr party (as I was with Tribe) but I'm glad I was. It just hits different as an older listener.

My favourite Gang Starr joint;

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:03:52 PM »
did u peep the new album yet?

bouli77

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
I love Guru's penmanship and wisdom. My personal favorite album is Moment of Truth. Guru's Jazzmatazz's albums are hard too. Their whole camp dropped gems. Afu Ra's The Body of the Life Force and Jeru the Damaja's albums are bona fide classics as well.

Favorite live performance :

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nwGrFKZUBPw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nwGrFKZUBPw</a>

dnjp4life

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 12:40:22 PM »
I used to listen to Gang Starr a lot when I was at university and often had them on when I was writing essays as background music.  Their brand of rap seemed to me to be conducive to intellectual pursuits because listening to Guru is like listening to a teacher imparting knowledge.

I don't listen to them as much nowadays but I need to pick up their latest album still and go through their discography again.

The Predator

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
Chills...

"Gang starr has gots to be the sure shot"
"And it's like dat"
"Gang starr"
"Represent"
Oh yeah
One of the meanest and the cleanest
And still I'm kind of feindish when I'm at this
Been doin' this for eons, peons best to catch this
Vision of excellence, precise rappin' ability
Bout to make some dead presidents, macking a million G
The money though, it's got people actin funny yo
As soon as some niggaz get some light, they be like dummies yo
Products and puppets and pawns, gettin' played out
When authentic niggaz step up, respect be layed out
Major effect to your sector, I'm the corrector
Live and direct, waving my mic like a sceptor
Supreme exalted, universal leader
Descendent of the kings and queens, the overseer
The overlord, cream of the crop, creme de la creme
Spent years buildin' with cats in the streets, so they my men
Again, GangStarr has done it
Remember too much jewels back in the days? You'd have to run it
Check it, the ground be hot under our feet
So we be listening to beats to keep the cypher complete
Wether you kids be holdin, on the block all day
Or you be puffing lye, out in the back hallway
Or whether you being schooled, or in the library
Wherever you are Baby Pah, realize that your essence
Is divine son, and let it shine son
As we refine son, ayo, this shit'll blow your mind son
We're royalty
Wherever I go
I want to take nothin' less than the best
Whatever I choose, I choose to do
I have to stand out from all the rest
Whatever I do, wherever I go
I just wanna stand out from all the rest
And all the girls they want to spoil me
My honey annoits me with oils G
After work she greets me, and treats me like royalty
Works with me, giving herself, by my side
She don't sweat me for loot, my fame, or my ride
A lot of ladies out there, be lookin' lovely
But they don't got no control of the their life, inside they're ugly
Word to Bugsy, and to Red Alert
Sway and Tech, and Funkmaster Flex to make your head jerk
Chicks go beserk when they see us in the spot
K-ci, JoJo and Primo, creepin' to the top
And to the sweethearts out there breaking hearts
While we're takin part of this hip-hop art
Listen yo, the best way, it ain't always the fast way
And yes the best way, it ain't always to act nasty
I'll open up the door always before you pass me
Baby Doll, because you're royalty
Whatever I do, Wherever I go
I have to stand out from all the rest
Whatever I do, wherever I go
I just wanna stand out from all the rest
"Gang starr has to gots to be the sure shot"
"And it's like dat"
"And it's like dat"
"And it's like dat"
"And it's like dat"

doggfather

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 12:06:48 AM »
for real, nobody mentioned militia remix with WC on a westcoast forum?

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Duck Duck Doggy

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:36 AM »
I ain’t got no access to weed or

LOL you’re not trying hard enough. I bet I could find weed in KC in less than a day

But yes gangstarr is one of the dopest. You really need to check out their new album. Top notch premier

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
I ain’t got no access to weed or

LOL you’re not trying hard enough. I bet I could find weed in KC in less than a day

But yes gangstarr is one of the dopest. You really need to check out their new album. Top notch premier

he doesn’t live in kc for 5 years now LOL

Elko.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
for real, nobody mentioned militia remix with WC on a westcoast forum?

Well this is the Outbound Connections section of the forum so.. haha just playin'.

The following users thanked this post: doggfather

The Predator

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 06:34:19 AM »
Gang Starr’s DJ Premier on life after Guru: ‘We still have a lot of unreleased material’

The duo’s latest album ‘One Of The Best Yet’ was released last month – nine years after rapper Guru’s death

When DJ Premier, one of hip-hop’s most iconic beatmakers, knew his friend and Gang Starr co-pilot Guru was about to die it didn’t make coming to terms with seeing him in a hospital bed any easier. But though a shock to the hip-hop community, the 2010 death of the MC at the age of 48 didn’t mean we’d heard the last from this rap titan.

After a lengthy legal battle to attain ownership of unreleased recordings, DJ Premier decided that the time was finally right to release a new Gang Starr album, even though the wheels for ‘One Of The Best Yet’ – which came out this November – had been in motion for almost a decade. “I came to terms with it from the day that I went to the hospital and I could tell that he wasn’t going to make it,” explains DJ Premier. “I just had to make sure his family was all good with the publishing, all the rights and everything that comes with all that. We still had a brand that we could make money off and that is still important to me”.

Gang Starr’s impact isn’t difficult to measure. DJ Premier’s (or Preemo) skills are still highly sought after, each episode of the first season of Netflix’s Luke Cage was named after a Gang Starr track, the duo has been sampled (officially) nearly 800 times and the logo is a global brand in itself.

On the intro to ‘You Know My Steez’ from 1998’s ‘Moment of Truth’, we hear a young Guru talk about how Gang Starr would never stray from their musical identity but always update their formula. Has Premier updated the formula once again for ‘One Of The Best Yet’? “Yeah, we’re still sounding like us, the formula’s still being updated,” he explains. “The key was that we sounded like where we left off in 2003 [when they released their last album ‘The Ownerz’] and the most important thing was that I wanted it to sound like he’d [Guru] written them there and then. Spiritually he did. I walked into the studio with a blank canvas and started searching for the sound. That’s my approach still.”

Every part of the new project was purposeful, from the previously unreleased Guru verses that Preemo picked to the big name featured guests; Ne-Yo, J Cole, Royce da 5’9”, Q-Tip and M.O.P, Big Shug and Jeru the Damaja. “Everybody that I got to be on the album, they sounded like they paired off with Guru correctly, it didn’t sound forced,” Preemo says. Sadly, one of the biggest names in rap, Nas, was asked to feature on ‘Bad Name’ but due to conflicting schedules was unable to.

The process of recording ‘One Of The Best Yet’ was ritualistic. Preemo would bring Guru’s ashes to the studio and burn sage to get the vibe just right. Hip-hop is all about honouring tradition and embracing the new, and it’s these small practices that allowed Preemo to feel as though Guru was there in the room with him. Perhaps that’s why ‘One Of The Best Yet’ doesn’t quite feel like your standard posthumous rap record – its purpose is to honour the legacy of one of rap’s greats rather than mess with it.

But the road to the album’s creation has been a rocky one. Since Guru’s passing, DJ Premier has been at odds with Guru’s friend, a producer called DJ Solar, because of a letter that was said to have been written by the late rapper which forbade Premier from using Guru’s name after his death. To this day, both Preemo, Guru’s family and the wider hip-hop community believe the letter was falsely written by Solar. “I know how Guru writes and when we used to live together, he’d leave little notes around the house and you don’t put ex-DJ when we’ve known each other for so long [how Premier was allegedly referred to in the letter], besides there were a few DJs Guru had worked with even before me,” says Premier.

It’s obvious that both Solar and Premier wanted to preserve the legacy of Guru in their own way, but Preemo is adamant that his closeness to Guru’s family – particularly Guru’s son Keith, who was only nine when his father passed away – means he’s acting out the will of his former bandmate. “That’s my guy man, we’re very close and I used to babysit him,” he says of Keith. “There are tons of pictures of us and I’ve watched him grow up, that alone adds confidence in who they [Guru’s family] go to when they need to know how to handle Guru’s affairs. I think our die-hard Gang Starr fans get it already, I made it for them and for his family because they should be able to eat off the proceeds.”

It’s clear that Premier still really, really misses Guru. “I miss everything, man. Even when he was mad or drunk out of his mind and cursing us out saying ‘fuck y’all,’ I miss that too!” he states. “I’ve been going through all of our archive footage… [it] takes me back and allows me to remember all of the fun we had.”

So, is the last we’ll hear of Gang Starr? Premier doesn’t seem to think so. “I wouldn’t call this the final chapter of Gang Starr, we still have a lot of unreleased material that I want to share one day,” he says. Preemo’s also still figuring out how to adapt ‘One Of The Best Yet’ into a live setting, but he’s vehemently against any kind of 2Pac at Coachella 2012 moments. “I’m not doing any holograms,” he states firmly, but suggests he’ll be putting old videos of Guru to use somehow. “We have years of footage from ‘89 to ‘92 and ‘98 up until his passing, so we’re figuring out how to extract his voice and to use it in sync with the footage. Thank goodness we filmed our shows because they’re now being put to use.”

‘One Of The Best Yet’ shouldn’t be seen as a reminder of the impermanence of life but as a time capsule of both hip-hop’s past and present. In death as in life, Guru is still giving hip-hop a vital boost of energy.

Gang Starr’s ‘One Of The Best Yet’ is out now