Author Topic: All time craziest backstories on how certain classic tracks came together  (Read 574 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
"New York, New York" - Pooh had made the beat for Biggie for a St Ides commercial.  The track later ends up being used for the Dogg Pound on the hit "New York, New York" which disses New York (but later revisionist history Dogg Pound tries to claim it was "honoring" New York but I'm not sure I buy that logic) kicking down buildings and shit in the video and Snoop gettin on there with the "New York, New York big city of dreams" which is a sample of which 80's song? Anyway, Big goes on New York radio during the filming and encourages headz to get at the Dogg Pound and shots are fired... crazy backstory

"Mind Made Up" -  Not sure if I believe this backstory, but supposedly Dre wanted the beat or something like that-- Daz used the beat for a Dogg Pound track at the height of the East/West beef it had heavy hitters from the East Coast Red and Meth along with Deck and Rage (who were later taken off except some adlibs from Deck), but then later Pac gets added, well they never asked Red and Meth for permission but Suge uses them on the track and they probably never got paid or anything--just a crazy backstory

"California Love" - comes from like an o.g. beat from some old school New York rappers (EPMD, shit my head is dazed can't remember who but not like anybody reads anything at this forum anymore anyway) anyway Dre uses it and records a full solo track, Suge bails out Pac and Pac comes to the studio, puts Pac on the song, Pac blows up like never before, they do a great video together that blows up like nothing before, the pinaccle, all is well at Death Row--then suddenly two months later Dre leaves Death Row, Pac is dissing Dre calling him gay and shit--and all hell breaks lose

...what other crazy backstories?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:58:56 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

the California Love beat was an EPMD track...Tha Dogg Pound later remade it

• Muthafuckin' Don!
the California Love beat was an EPMD track...Tha Dogg Pound later remade it

Yeah that’s it, thx

Sccit

the cali love beat was also originally used on a doggfather leftover

Sccit

and the cali love beat didn’t come from epmd neither

goodyoung

I think you mean Doggystyle

SuperSpider

What's crazy about these stories?

Sccit

I think you mean Doggystyle

yea ur right .. it was supposed to be the outro

bouli77

"Mind Made Up" -  Not sure if I believe this backstory, but supposedly Dre made the beat or something like that, and then Daz used the beat (or something like that) and then you got Deck and Rage on the song but they get left off and it's originally a Dogg Pound track, but then later Pac gets added, well they never asked Red and Meth for permission but Suge uses them on the track and they probably never got paid or anything--just a crazy backstory

You got things a little twisted. This song is one of the reasons 2pac started getting pissed at Dre because Pac heard the beat and Dre told him it was his when in reality Daz had made the beat. The song was originally Tha Dogg Pound featuring Method Man, Redman, Inspectah Deck and The Lady of Rage. It was intended to be on Dogg Food (which gives credit to the theory claiming that NY NY wasn't a diss song) but Daz somehow lost the reel. Pac found it when he came to Death Row and was blown away by the track so he wanted to jump on it. You can read Daz's account of how it happened here :

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2016/04/daz-explains-why-lady-of-rage-inspectah-deck-verses-did-not-make-all-eyez-on-me-video/

"New York, New York" - Pooh had made the beat for Biggie for a St Ides commercial.  The track later ends up being used for the Dogg Pound on the hit "New York, New York" which disses New York (but later revisionist history Dogg Pound tries to claim it was "honoring" New York but I'm not sure I buy that logic) kicking down buildings and shit in the video and Snoop gettin on there with the "New York, New York big city of dreams" which is a sample of which 80's song? Anyway, Big goes on New York radio during the filming and encourages headz to get at the Dogg Pound and shots are fired... crazy backstory

It seems you got the timeline confused. Originally they were supposed to shoot the video in different neighborhoods in New York. They were filming in Red Hook and Biggie got on the radio and got pissed and told they were filming there. So their trailers got shot up. They packed and left and finished the video in LA, adding the parts with the buildings being kicked out of spite. It wasn't intended at first. I totally believe NY NY wasn't a diss. It was more like a New York inspired battle track where Kurupt goes on an ego trip. Nobody is mentioned, no subliminal is thrown, it's just Kurupt spitting east coast style. You have to remember that coming up they were looking up to New York MC's especially Kurupt and Snoop. That incident started the beef, which led to them later recording NY 187 which was a definite diss track.

Here's Kurupt account of how it happened : 
https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2018/03/kurupt-recalls-snatching-the-new-york-new-york-beat-from-biggie-smalls/

The following users thanked this post: Elko.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
and the cali love beat didn’t come from epmd neither

Oh shit, didn't know this one

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"Mind Made Up" -  Not sure if I believe this backstory, but supposedly Dre made the beat or something like that, and then Daz used the beat (or something like that) and then you got Deck and Rage on the song but they get left off and it's originally a Dogg Pound track, but then later Pac gets added, well they never asked Red and Meth for permission but Suge uses them on the track and they probably never got paid or anything--just a crazy backstory

You got things a little twisted. This song is one of the reasons 2pac started getting pissed at Dre because Pac heard the beat and Dre told him it was his when in reality Daz had made the beat. The song was originally Tha Dogg Pound featuring Method Man, Redman, Inspectah Deck and The Lady of Rage. It was intended to be on Dogg Food (which gives credit to the theory claiming that NY NY wasn't a diss song) but Daz somehow lost the reel. Pac found it when he came to Death Row and was blown away by the track so he wanted to jump on it. You can read Daz's account of how it happened here :

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2016/04/daz-explains-why-lady-of-rage-inspectah-deck-verses-did-not-make-all-eyez-on-me-video/

It seems you got the timeline confused. Originally they were supposed to shoot the video in different neighborhoods in New York. They were filming in Red Hook and Biggie got on the radio and got pissed and told they were filming there. So their trailers got shot up. They packed and left and finished the video in LA, adding the parts with the buildings being kicked out of spite. It wasn't intended at first. I totally believe NY NY wasn't a diss. It was more like a New York inspired battle track where Kurupt goes on an ego trip. Nobody is mentioned, no subliminal is thrown, it's just Kurupt spitting east coast style. You have to remember that coming up they were looking up to New York MC's especially Kurupt and Snoop. That incident started the beef, which led to them later recording NY 187 which was a definite diss track.

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2018/03/kurupt-recalls-snatching-the-new-york-new-york-beat-from-biggie-smalls/

Thanks... good info.  Not used to people actually reading what I post on the forum anymore so I was getting a bit lazy.... I still think "New York, New York" was more of a diss than a tribute... but I'll make a seperate poll thread for that

Sccit

Thanks... good info.  Not used to people actually reading what I post on the forum anymore so I was getting a bit lazy.... I still think "New York, New York" was more of a diss than a tribute... but I'll make a seperate poll thread for that

you’d be surprised how many people read this forum .. most just lurk, but this thread has 120 views for instance

Word, if you want crazy stories check into how ODB ended up on some of his features

Elko.

Word, if you want crazy stories check into how ODB ended up on some of his features

How he recorded his verse for Mariah Carey's 'Fantasy' is fuckin' hilarious
https://eurweb.com/2016/04/14/ol-dirty-bastard-drinks-and-sleeps-during-fantasy-session-with-mariah-carey/

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"No More Pain" - I also like this backstory.  I guess Devante was supposed to show up in the evening and the studio engineers and everyone was waiting around forever and the guy would never show up until they finally were about to give up on him.... dude was really riding high at that point in his career I mean Jodeci had been like the biggest, baddest crew in R&B and he was also producing for outside acts... finally dude rolls in at like 3 or 4am and laces a gem, and I don't know a lot about 2pac's side of things but as they say the rest is history.   It's one of those songs that wasn't a single but was every bit as good as any other track you've ever heard.  The song had everything really and fueled a lot of the East/West flames as well.