Author Topic: Prejudices against rap from ignorant people  (Read 546 times)

budsmokeronly

Prejudices against rap from ignorant people
« on: May 10, 2003, 05:41:19 PM »
every other word is a cuss word

they have no talent

all they do is talk fast

only lyrical content is murder, drugs, and sex

rap isn't "real" music

all rappers are gangsters or wanna be gangsters

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Prejudices against rap from ignorant people
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 05:49:09 PM »
they pretend to be cool bling bling which is ridicolous ( cant deny that in some cases )

Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Jome

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 08:51:52 PM »

they have no talent

all they do is talk fast

rap isn't "real" music

Yeah, I've heard them all.. ignorant people..  ::)

Tell them this: oh well, there's something called lyricists too, and they got better vocabulary than most professors.. in fact they study their texts in hi-schools and universitys..
When they want examples, you tell them Ras Kass, Pharoahe Monch, or your favorite lyricist..
And finish it off with: "I bet you wouldn't understand half of their metaphors, or half the words they use".. and then they will be like "Oh, hmm.. I see"

Discussion won! (As usual..  8))
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003, 08:52:59 PM by Goldie Jome »

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 08:58:08 PM »

they have no talent

all they do is talk fast

rap isn't "real" music

Yeah, I've heard them all.. ignorant people..  ::)

Tell them this: oh well, there's something called lyricists too, and they got better vocabulary than most professors.. in fact they study their texts in hi-schools and universitys..
When they want examples, you tell them Ras Kass, Pharoahe Monch, or your favorite lyricist..
And finish it off with: "I bet you wouldn't understand half of their metaphors, or half the words they use".. and then they will be like "Oh, hmm.. I see"

Discussion won! (As usual..  8))

Yup i've got that a lot, and its no suprise when it turns out they haven't even heard of people like Ras Kass or Talib Kweli etc...
In a way, you can't blame em really.  Most of the crap that comes on radios is ignorant, its all about bling bling, womanzing, intense and uneccessary cussing and pretending to be "gangsta".  And thats what people hear, gives a bad name to this music genre...

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 09:48:17 PM »
Hmmm, well out of what you mentioned, they're all true in 90% of the cases, so how can you be mad that people assume those stereotypes are true?  They're reinforced  constantly.  It's not like they just one day decided to hate rap, things made them decide to hate rap.  

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 10:53:56 PM »
i agree with the topic, but what is wrong with bling bling?

Doggystylin

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 11:55:05 PM »
Hmmm, well out of what you mentioned, they're all true in 90% of the cases, so how can you be mad that people assume those stereotypes are true?  They're reinforced  constantly.  It's not like they just one day decided to hate rap, things made them decide to hate rap.  

why do you listen to rap then? and if you dont, then why do you still post here

every other word is a cuss word - can you honestly tell me all rap songs are like this? maybe some, but not every song

they have no talent - dr dre, snoop dogg,talib kweli, biggie,nas,eminem all have no talent, right?

only lyrical content is murder, drugs, and sex - keep ya head up,crossroads,dear mama,get by,juicy,nobody til somebody kills you, one mic, i can etc etc

rap isn't "real" music - why did it have ur head bobbin at one point or another?

all rappers are gangsters or wanna be gangsters- ALL no...a big percentage..maybe.

now trauma, please, make posts you can back up, a lot of your recent posts seem very idiotic, not thought through, ignorant and infinite-like. is he over there now?

budsmokeronly

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 10:30:56 AM »
Thanks for backing up my point Doggy, you know what you are talking about.

That is why I labeled this thread Prejudices against rap from IGNORANT people.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 10:57:21 AM »
In 90% of the cases, those stereotypes ARE true.  I didnt' say 100%, maybe you bastards can't count, but it's true... don't be mad I pissed in your cheerios... BROTHER!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

budsmokeronly

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 11:02:47 AM »
This is comming from a guy that pretty much has his head completely up his ass when it comes to knowledge of westcoast rap.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 11:46:32 AM »
One thing that pisses me off is when my friends who are casual rap fans and when i say i listen to rap for the message they give, they just there aren't any messages it's just about how they flow over the beat. I then play them some Ras Kass and knock them out.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 11:48:54 AM »
Ac, we all know music is about knowledge, right, and how much you know about something? LOL You dumbass, music is about fun.  Simple as that.  It's not about who has all the lyrics of the entire Lethal Injection CD memorized, that's why music's universal, 2 year olds like music.  Attack my 'knowledge' of music all you want, but in the end, I've taken music theory classes, I've written songs, I've structured chord progressions, I play instruments.  In the end, that's all meaningless, becuase music isn't about being arrogant, but I guess you wouldn't realize that, you're still young.  

GOD BLESS YA, BROTHER!!!!

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2003, 11:50:47 AM »
One thing that pisses me off is when my friends who are casual rap fans and when i say i listen to rap for the message they give, they just there aren't any messages it's just about how they flow over the beat. I then play them some Ras Kass and knock them out.

but, you would probably admit, like I mentioend earlier, that if you picked 90% of the rap cd's in stores, that would be true, right?  What's Lil Jon's message?  Ludakris?  Dre's? Snoop's?  Jay Z's? Most rap doesn't have a message, it is about flow, but not all cases.  They're just ignorant (like ac said) but how can you expect them not to be? Look at what the radio plays, it don't want no rass kass.  Peace~

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2003, 11:54:45 AM »
Yeah i know but when someone who listens to, say rock mainly and listens to a bit of rap and then tells you that you don't listen to rap music for the message, it pisses me off. I wouldn't say all rock music is made by sad, depressed, middle class white boys who think the whole worlds against them.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2003, 11:56:44 AM »
^^ Yeah, but most of it is, LOL.  If you said that, I wouldn't blame you, I'd just think you hadn't heard the good stuff, and play you some stuff, like you did for your friends... just try and understand where they're coming from, hell Rock in most cases is presented the way you described, because that is what a lot of it is.  Same with rap.  GOD BLESS YA, BROTHER!!!!