Author Topic: Prejudices against rap from ignorant people  (Read 528 times)

budsmokeronly

Re:Prejudices against rap from ignorant people
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2003, 12:03:43 PM »
Ac, we all know music is about knowledge, right, and how much you know about something? LOL You dumbass, music is about fun.  Simple as that.  It's not about who has all the lyrics of the entire Lethal Injection CD memorized, that's why music's universal, 2 year olds like music.  Attack my 'knowledge' of music all you want, but in the end, I've taken music theory classes, I've written songs, I've structured chord progressions, I play instruments.  In the end, that's all meaningless, becuase music isn't about being arrogant, but I guess you wouldn't realize that, you're still young.  

hey jackass don't talk about stuff that you ain't knowin about.  You said 90% of all rap albums are all like the list I made in my first post.  Just shows that you don't have a fucking clue about what you are talking about and you are ignorant.  What was that line you said about lil' C-style?  Oh yeah, you said he sucks.  And your reason why he sucks?  Oh yeah, cause you can't tell the difference between him and Big C-Style, because they practically have the same name.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL OF THE IGNORANT IDIOTS IT BREEDS

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2003, 12:06:14 PM »
Ac, we all know music is about knowledge, right, and how much you know about something? LOL You dumbass, music is about fun.  Simple as that.  It's not about who has all the lyrics of the entire Lethal Injection CD memorized, that's why music's universal, 2 year olds like music.  Attack my 'knowledge' of music all you want, but in the end, I've taken music theory classes, I've written songs, I've structured chord progressions, I play instruments.  In the end, that's all meaningless, becuase music isn't about being arrogant, but I guess you wouldn't realize that, you're still young.  

hey jackass don't talk about stuff that you ain't knowin about.  You said 90% of all rap albums are all like the list I made in my first post.  Just shows that you don't have a fucking clue about what you are talking about and you are ignorant.  What was that line you said about lil' C-style?  Oh yeah, you said he sucks.  And your reason why he sucks?  Oh yeah, cause you can't tell the difference between him and Big C-Style, because they practically have the same name. - Lol, that is genius.

Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2003, 12:16:56 PM »
GOD BLESS YA, BROTHER!!! And Little C willie, or Big C stick, or whatever the hell his name is.  GOD BLESS YA!!!!

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2003, 12:14:22 PM »
The worse thing is they all go on about how the lyrics are always about drugs, sex and money and then when someone like Nas does a track like "I Can" they all suddenly think that he's some gay rapper doing poppy tracks. They just contradict themselves all the time.

I normally just make them listen to the Black Star album and then say, there you go, you write and perform sometime better than that, and they all know that they can't.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2003, 07:21:46 PM »
hip hop is the 3rd from last when it comes to over all quality when you're talking about the genre as a WHOLE including all the nelly's and talib kwelis together.

for one : the majority of hip hop is about self righteous lusts and selfish disires that tear down others.....most of it IS negative. from the begining it was about saying you were the best and the other mc was 'wack' when you examine other genres lyrics they read more like poetry rather than a game of the Dozens on the school yard.
     granted there are artists who hold substance in their lyrics like 2pac,eminem, Nas, Mos Def, hell even Dead Prez but hip hop's artists like these are far and fewbtween! whereas in any other genre say for instance soul music it's about love and emotion in almost every artist's lyrics. Then punk rock you got them talking actual politics. now most of you are going to come in saying hip hop talks about these things.....yeah it does but on a dumber level it's rare there's an actual poetic/or artistic credible line there. it's like finding gold in your back yard. no one in hip hop has come close to Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, jimi Hendrix, Paul Mccartney, Bob Marley,ect when it comes to lyracism .....REAL lyracism .

two- the  instrumentation.........hip hop is probably the 2nd or 3rd worst when it comes to beats. Yeah hip hop is full of ....fuck that CHALK FULL of catchy little beats, but i got to emphasise little.....almost all beats are 2-4 second loops! you know how much of a joke that is to someone who knows how to play any instrument!? this is the argument here when people say "it's not real music" cuz in a way it's not, it's either A)sampled from someone else or B)simple as banging rocks togehter........if you don't believe me go out and pick up a bass guitar and play ANY of your favorite rap songs  then go and try to play a song by metallica....then  you'll get my point. Hell even the 2 best producers in rap , dr. dre and dj quik are considered mediocre musicians when you compare them to everyone else in music .

3-rap isn't meant to be a serious brand of music, it was bred out house parties in NY .....the only time rap has any credible serious moments is when it's mocking or sampling another genre ("dear mama" "i'll be missing you")

so when people say the things they say about rap and hip hopdon't brand them ignorant becuase what they're saying is 90% true , the only ignorance is the ignorance in hip hop and it's fans if it's artists and fans did more musical research  you'd have a more credible genre.........and i'm quoting chuck D when i say that

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2003, 07:23:47 PM »
The worse thing is they all go on about how the lyrics are always about drugs, sex and money and then when someone like Nas does a track like "I Can" they all suddenly think that he's some gay rapper doing poppy tracks. They just contradict themselves all the time.

see i like that song, not becuase it's a good song but becuase it's the direction hip hop NEEEEDS to take

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2003, 05:25:01 PM »
Hip Hop is a culture.Black White Green Red. Its all about a feel. I do not feel classic rock and punk rock.. Classic rock gives me a vibe like i am in a farm in a field boring a hell. Punk Rock gives me a vibe like Faggy little kids in dickies pulled up to there stomach and tucked in ripped shirts are surrounding me...Music is about a vibe... Ignorant Punk rock kids will come up to me and say What Up YO! Bling Bling Yo!..That is mad ignorant. People would flip if i would talk in a gay\nerd voice and was like "Hey support communism and tree hugging!" Which is True so i can say it right?

Suga Foot

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 07:40:47 PM »
You CAN'T say those things about Hip Hop.  You can only say it about artists.  Take as many music classes as you want, study music your whole life, if you don't get it, then you just don't get it.  Rap music has only really been around for 20 years, which means it's way too new to make such judgement as people do.  Subject matter is irrelavant, in any genre of music, you can have the same subject matter as another.  

budsmokeronly

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2003, 12:33:25 PM »
good words big suga suga.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2003, 11:37:26 PM »
Hip Hop is a culture.Black White Green Red. Its all about a feel. I do not feel classic rock and punk rock.. Classic rock gives me a vibe like i am in a farm in a field boring a hell. Punk Rock gives me a vibe like Faggy little kids in dickies pulled up to there stomach and tucked in ripped shirts are surrounding me...Music is about a vibe... Ignorant Punk rock kids will come up to me and say What Up YO! Bling Bling Yo!..That is mad ignorant. People would flip if i would talk in a gay\nerd voice and was like "Hey support communism and tree hugging!" Which is True so i can say it right?

you can't see the hypocricy in your statement?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2003, 11:49:24 PM »
You CAN'T say those things about Hip Hop.  You can only say it about artists.  Take as many music classes as you want, study music your whole life, if you don't get it, then you just don't get it.  Rap music has only really been around for 20 years, which means it's way too new to make such judgement as people do.  Subject matter is irrelavant, in any genre of music, you can have the same subject matter as another.  

fact is i get it.....i've gotten it, and i get everything else out there too, the day you open yourself up to other cultures judgements become more clearer.....it's obvious most of this board has their hands roooted 6 feet deep in hip hop and mabe an inch at most in other genres..how can you form an opinion on something else when you don't have the knowledge to make a logical statement?
 20 years? is that some kind of excuse?! you just admitted hip hop is a slow to move genre......when you compare rock in 1950-you got dudes talking about rock around the clock and doing the twist and such ....then flash up 20 years to 1970 and you get a group called the beatles whose influence has never been matched in any genre. you get jimi hendrix the purest artist music has seen you get another band called led zeppelin transforming musicianship and ect. rock in 1970 was way bigger than what hip hop is now......so don't use the 20 year thing as an excuse.

Subject matter is irrelavant, in any genre of music, you can have the same subject matter as another.  

you just said that lyrics mean nothing......what 2pac had to say is useless, what PE said in the 80's was just for fun, NWA were just and accident

note most of these artists had lyrical depth and are legends and the most celebrated hip hop acts hmmmmmmm cooincidence?

Suga Foot

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2003, 02:19:11 AM »
if you don't get it, then you just don't get it

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2003, 06:35:38 AM »
Yes jake i do see the hypocrasy in my statement thats why i wrote it..People get angry when people diss their music..It is there lifestyle..I was trying to make a point.

Tha_Reverend

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2003, 06:18:34 PM »
hip hop didn't start off as Gangsta.  it was first an expession of the ghetto.   today it's rapped with shit like nelly and ja rule.  my parents are ignorent when it comes to hip hop.  and I can see why.  

AC that list you put up can all be siad in two words.  MAIN STREAM.  lol.  Main Stream rap is all that some peeps hear when it comes rap.  they don't know real soulful shit like Quik for example.  that's why peeps like my parents think of garbage like ja rule when they hear the term hip hop.  when if fact shit like that is not real hip hop at all.

that's why it's up to us to edgucate them.  sit them down and play some shit by Quik, The Twins, Foesum (my new found favorite) and so on.  

DaSchizophrenic1

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2003, 06:22:04 PM »
edgucate

LMAO....how ironic.... please tell me that was intentional....