Author Topic: NAPOLEON: "DR. DRE WANTED TO PRODUCE HIT EM UP"  (Read 1917 times)

Sccit

NAPOLEON: "DR. DRE WANTED TO PRODUCE HIT EM UP"
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »

dnjp4life

Re: NAPOLEON: "DR. DRE WANTED TO PRODUCE HIT EM UP"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 05:19:09 AM »
Interesting. Would love to have heard how he would have handled the production of the track.
Maybe Dre was behind the beefing with Bad Boy Records at the time for a brief period, and maybe if you asked him now he might be glad he didn't end up producing it?

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:57:55 AM »
Interesting. Would love to have heard how he would have handled the production of the track.
Maybe Dre was behind the beefing with Bad Boy Records at the time for a brief period, and maybe if you asked him now he might be glad he didn't end up producing it?

no doubt about it

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 10:07:33 AM »

Yes, Dre loves money & press more than anything so he woulda loved to be involved in that track but once Pac called him a fag (Which he is) & Suge fucked Michel'le & got her preggo then he decided to leave & worked with Nas & The Firm just to piss Pac off...   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:55:01 AM by U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E. »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 10:47:03 PM »
It was a maxi single so it also sold because it contained the video version of “California Love”.  So people bought it for all those songs.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:57:59 PM »
Also.. my first thought was that the timeline was a bit off.   Does anybody know exactly what month in 96' "Hit Em Up" was recorded.  Cause there was that iconic Vibe Cover with Death Row was at its height and All Eyez on Me had came out and you got the 4 heads of Suge, 2pac, Dre, Snoop there on the cover and Dre is still claiming loyalty to Suge and nobody would've guessed a split was coming.

The timeline in my own head says All Eyez On me came out Feb, the Source cover came out March, and "Hit Em Up" was probably recorded in April when Dre had already left?

But that's just a guess so I got to assume that Napolean is accurate.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

thegooddoc

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 05:01:05 PM »
Also.. my first thought was that the timeline was a bit off.   Does anybody know exactly what month in 96' "Hit Em Up" was recorded.  Cause there was that iconic Vibe Cover with Death Row was at its height and All Eyez on Me had came out and you got the 4 heads of Suge, 2pac, Dre, Snoop there on the cover and Dre is still claiming loyalty to Suge and nobody would've guessed a split was coming.

The timeline in my own head says All Eyez On me came out Feb, the Source cover came out March, and "Hit Em Up" was probably recorded in April when Dre had already left?

This book claims that Hit Em Up" wasn't written and recorded until May 1996, after Dre had already left. Brown, Jake (2005). Tupac Shakur, (2-Pac) in the studio: the studio years (1989–1996  There are also other sources saying that it wasn't written and recorded until May.  Not saying Napolean is wrong, but I don't think Dre would have been around.

The following users thanked this post: D-TalkX

kuruptlon

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 08:25:12 PM »
What beat did Biggie/JM take that supposedly led to Hit Em Up?

dnjp4life

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 06:49:33 AM »
I think Napoleon is just saying they did the 'take money' part in response to Junior Mafia's 'get money' which used a sample from a song I can't remember off top.

Also I think Dr. Dre would have ended up working with Nas anyway regardless of 2Pac calling him a fag and saying he was slow to produce tracks in the studio.  I doubt he was thinking of how 2Pac would react when he hooked up with Nas to produce on his album.

The following users thanked this post: D-TalkX

Mak_Corleone

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 04:33:09 AM »
What beat did Biggie/JM take that supposedly led to Hit Em Up?

Get Money Remix

JonnyTanna

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 05:54:33 AM »

I think based on Dre more openly dissing the East Coast when still on death aria I guess it’s pissible, but I listened to the Aftermath Compilation again last night, and not sure if anyone noticed the R&B songs (which admittedly I mostly skip) but one samples ‘One Love’ by Nas (I know that’s sampled from a different song) and the other song that follows immediately after samples Mobb Deep’s ‘Survival of The Fittest’ so I felt Dre did most of that record because he was put off by Suge demanding the master tapes back, therefore putting Dre off Gangta Rap and also to make up for all the East Coast dissing. I also agree where someone said Dre loves money and controversy, but that’s why he was dope. Shame he made Compton. I’m not sure why everyone wants Detox so bad, but after hearing Compton it’s obvious Dre knows he’s lost it

dj coma

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 07:50:09 PM »
There were two takes of Hit Em Up. The OG version which is what was known as Hit Em Up 2 on the bootlegs was recorded 10/31/95. The retail version was recorded on 4/19/96.

With that in mind, what Napoleon is saying is completely plausible. The OG version was recorded around the time Pac first got out, when Dre was still around, and when Pac was hanging with Faith. Dre wanted to produce that version, Faith heard that version and told Biggie about it. Then Junior Mafia used the same sample first, and Pac redid Hit Em Up and added the “Take Money” adlibs.

Also notable is EDI’s lyric in the retail version “Youz a, BEAT BITER”

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 10:13:42 PM »
There were two takes of Hit Em Up. The OG version which is what was known as Hit Em Up 2 on the bootlegs was recorded 10/31/95. The retail version was recorded on 4/19/96.

With that in mind, what Napoleon is saying is completely plausible. The OG version was recorded around the time Pac first got out, when Dre was still around, and when Pac was hanging with Faith. Dre wanted to produce that version, Faith heard that version and told Biggie about it. Then Junior Mafia used the same sample first, and Pac redid Hit Em Up and added the “Take Money” adlibs.

did not know this, good looks on the info

The following users thanked this post: dj coma

dj coma

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 11:24:13 PM »

did not know this, good looks on the info

No problem. I really didn't realize until this interview that Junior Mafia were the ones who copied the Dennis Edwards sample. I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing it discussed, but maybe I missed it being mentioned in a different interview. Crazy that Pac played Hit Em Up for Faith.

Okka

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 08:00:46 AM »

I think based on Dre more openly dissing the East Coast when still on death aria I guess it’s pissible, but I listened to the Aftermath Compilation again last night, and not sure if anyone noticed the R&B songs (which admittedly I mostly skip) but one samples ‘One Love’ by Nas (I know that’s sampled from a different song) and the other song that follows immediately after samples Mobb Deep’s ‘Survival of The Fittest’ so I felt Dre did most of that record because he was put off by Suge demanding the master tapes back, therefore putting Dre off Gangta Rap and also to make up for all the East Coast dissing. I also agree where someone said Dre loves money and controversy, but that’s why he was dope. Shame he made Compton. I’m not sure why everyone wants Detox so bad, but after hearing Compton it’s obvious Dre knows he’s lost it

You do realize that "Detox" was recorded before "Compton", right? It could've been amazing, with tracks like "Kush" and "Topless".