Author Topic: Anderson Paak Leaves Aftermath?  (Read 1385 times)

common

Anderson Paak Leaves Aftermath?
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Anderson Paak last songs ( Jewelz , Cut Em In ) were released on Ape Shit Inc.
Is it a new label?
He ´s still on Aftermath?
Months ago, Lockdown was released on Aftermath...

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Anderson Paak Leaves Aftermath?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:06:09 PM »
Too bad we never got a Dre produced Paak Aftermath project.  Sort of like a Doggystyle followup to the Chronic type album for Paak following up Compton.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

thegooddoc

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
Dre was heavily involved in Oxnard.  Although it would have been nice if he produced it all.  With all of the studio producers around Dre now days, I wonder how much Dre production we will ever get.  Dre needs to go back to just using studio musicians and actually producing songs.

goodyoung

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 12:45:36 AM »
Thankfully Dre didn't produce Oxnard in full. The tracks Dre produced (except Cheers) were absolute garbage and ended up being the worst tracks on the album. I even think Paak hates them as well, it would explain his desire to release Ventura so soon after Oxnard and get away from that new Dre sound as soon as possible.

The following users thanked this post: JonnyTanna

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 12:52:04 AM »
Too bad we never got a Dre produced Paak Aftermath project.  Sort of like a Doggystyle followup to the Chronic type album for Paak following up Compton.

actually we did .. it was called oxnard and paak was rapping the entire project.

it was dope but also a letdown, considering paak was comin off a soulful classic in his previous effort malibu.

he then followed it up with ventura, which was another near classic.

Malcy

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 04:03:55 AM »
Thankfully Dre didn't produce Oxnard in full. The tracks Dre produced (except Cheers) were absolute garbage and ended up being the worst tracks on the album. I even think Paak hates them as well, it would explain his desire to release Ventura so soon after Oxnard and get away from that new Dre sound as soon as possible.

Or maybe he just wanted to release another project. He said in an interview that he had recorded loads and was eager to put out another project soon after.

Or you could just keep choosing to believe your ridiculous idea of events. You think Paak would release something he didn’t like?

goodyoung

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 05:07:30 AM »
Or maybe he just wanted to release another project. He said in an interview that he had recorded loads and was eager to put out another project soon after.

Or you could just keep choosing to believe your ridiculous idea of events. You think Paak would release something he didn’t like?
Not even remotely far-fetched. From his interviews I got the impression that he didn't really like Dre interfering with Oxnard, and the fact that Dre's role was reduced to a minimum on Ventura really speaks for itself.

Tony Trey

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 06:52:29 AM »
Anderson Paak last songs ( Jewelz , Cut Em In ) were released on Ape Shit Inc.
Is it a new label?
He ´s still on Aftermath?
Months ago, Lockdown was released on Aftermath...

You're surprised by this?  This is exactly how Dre has operated Aftermath since he opened it.  Every 5 years or so, he signs a bunch of promising young talent.  One makes a name for himself and the rest sit on the shelf for the entire 5 years before leaving without releasing much more than a few mixtape tracks.  When you sign with Aftermath, you have a 2% chance of blowing up and a 98% of wallowing in obscurity.

Malcy

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »
You're surprised by this?  This is exactly how Dre has operated Aftermath since he opened it.  Every 5 years or so, he signs a bunch of promising young talent.  One makes a name for himself and the rest sit on the shelf for the entire 5 years before leaving without releasing much more than a few mixtape tracks.  When you sign with Aftermath, you have a 2% chance of blowing up and a 98% of wallowing in obscurity.

Artists gain valuable insight into the business at Aftermath. If they’re good enough then they don’t need Dre to make that happen for them. They have the experience to do it themselves. Look at The Last Emperor for example. He got signed and went out to LA but he wasn’t interested in hanging out at the studio and all that. He just wanted 100% work and release.

So he left with no animosity and went his own way with the experience he picked up while there. Rakim didn’t want to go down the gangster rap route so it wasn’t for him. Other artists just done nothing at all. And it’s not just at Aftermath, it happens at every single label in every genre. Being signed to a label isn’t a guarantee of a release or success. Really wish people would have a knowledge of the music industry before posting nonsense. It’s not a simple business. I spent years studying to be qualified in the industry and had experience but you learn that what you learn isn’t the whole picture.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »
Not even remotely far-fetched. From his interviews I got the impression that he didn't really like Dre interfering with Oxnard, and the fact that Dre's role was reduced to a minimum on Ventura really speaks for itself.

wrong

he planned to put out one hip-hop album with dre and one soulful album with his own team prior to the releases

goodyoung

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »

wrong

he planned to put out one hip-hop album with dre and one soulful album with his own team prior to the releases
He said that right after Oxnard flopped, right?

Tony Trey

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »
Artists gain valuable insight into the business at Aftermath. If they’re good enough then they don’t need Dre to make that happen for them. They have the experience to do it themselves. Look at The Last Emperor for example. He got signed and went out to LA but he wasn’t interested in hanging out at the studio and all that. He just wanted 100% work and release.

So he left with no animosity and went his own way with the experience he picked up while there. Rakim didn’t want to go down the gangster rap route so it wasn’t for him. Other artists just done nothing at all. And it’s not just at Aftermath, it happens at every single label in every genre. Being signed to a label isn’t a guarantee of a release or success. Really wish people would have a knowledge of the music industry before posting nonsense. It’s not a simple business. I spent years studying to be qualified in the industry and had experience but you learn that what you learn isn’t the whole picture.

Oh, I understand all that.  The original poster seemed surprised that Paak was off Aftermath and my point was it happens all the time.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
He said that right after Oxnard flopped, right?

no before it even dropped

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »
Oh, I understand all that.  The original poster seemed surprised that Paak was off Aftermath and my point was it happens all the time.

he’s not even off aftermath tho

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »

actually we did .. it was called oxnard and paak was rapping the entire project.

it was dope but also a letdown, considering paak was comin off a soulful classic in his previous effort malibu.

he then followed it up with ventura, which was another near classic.

Yeah somehow I've been meaning to check those out and never have.  Eventually I will get around the Dre one at least
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)