Author Topic: When albums come out....  (Read 289 times)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
When albums come out....
« on: May 11, 2003, 09:45:02 PM »
There are certain albums that when I hear them, I think of the season it came out....for instance--

I bumped the hell outta "Tha Last Meal" and that came out in December.  I was bumping it all through the winter, so now whenever I play it, I think of snow and cold ass weather.

There's some albums that I wish would come out in the summer, so I could think of summer when I bump 'em.

West Coast Veteran

Re:When albums come out....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 10:05:30 PM »
I know EXACTLY what you mean. Whenever I hear a certain album I bumped the shit out of I relate it to that time of my life when it was released.

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 10:13:30 PM »
Same thing for me.

tnp

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 10:15:26 PM »
Most of my albums I have I think about Summer when I play them, if only because where I live (Atlanta) has Summer type weather almost from the end of February to the end of September/middle of October. And even after that it's still short sleeves weather. Albums with a nostalgic summer feel to them:
DJ Quik-Safe + Sound
MC Eiht-We Come Strapped
Spice 1-187 He Wrote

I remember Doggystyle came out in November of 93, but I still had short sleeves on when I was waiting for Camelot to open that morning.

The only album I have in fact that does have a winter feel to it is the Chronic...because it came out in December 1992 and I remember playing it all that winter...still gave me a summer mindstate though.

btw, I usually also identify certain spots in my city where if I drive past there I think of a certain album or song too.

tnp

« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 10:18:02 PM by tnp »

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 11:02:40 PM »
btw, I usually also identify certain spots in my city where if I drive past there I think of a certain album or song too.

tnp

Hell yeah!  I do that same exact thing.  When I hear a certain part of a song, I can tell you a landmark of place that comes to mind right away.

I'll use one of my favorite albums as an example:

N.W.A. - Niggaz4Life

I think of......
1.   Prelude (a specific spot in my hallway listening to it on my headphones thinkin' "If mom knows what I'm listening to, she'll throw it out")
2.   Real Niggaz Don't Die (sitting on my porch swing)
3.   Niggaz 4 Life (a hot ass day on the playground {elementary school})
4.   Protest (me and my cracka Shane listening to it)
5.   Appetite For Destruction (playing basketball in an alley down the street)
6.   Don't Drink That Wine ( always thought of commericals)
7.   Alwayz Into Somethin' (just think of the black&white video for this)
8.   Message To B. A. (I automatically think of 'broomstick')
9.   Real Niggaz (quiet summer night)
10.   To Kill A Hooker (always thought of it as part of "one less bitch")
11.   One Less Bitch (the outro always makes me think of this girl from 6th grade)
12.   Findum, Fuckum And Flee (the tree in my front yard)
13.   Automobile (these 3 brothers at school always singing this on the playground)
14.   She Swallowed It (my fifth grade teacher because this one kid would always say Euguene {the teacher's real name} swallowed it!)
15.   I'd Rather Fuck You (of a conversation my friend told me he had with this hot bitch in our class from 6th grade)
16.   Approach To Danger (cool night)
17.   1-900-2-COMPTON (always thought of it as part of the song)
18.   The Dayz of Wayback (of walking down Bolton Ave. and seeing someone I didn't like from school)

I can do that shit with just about any album.  That one really doesn't have an landmarks because I was only 10 years old when the album came out.  Anything that came out in 1996 or later, I can name specific buildings or streets that I think of with certian songs.

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 11:13:19 PM »
There are certain albums that when I hear them, I think of the season it came out....for instance--

I bumped the hell outta "Tha Last Meal" and that came out in December.  I was bumping it all through the winter, so now whenever I play it, I think of snow and cold ass weather.

There's some albums that I wish would come out in the summer, so I could think of summer when I bump 'em.

whenever i play tha last meal i always think of the toys r us.

i really recognize what you are saying, i have the same with i think every album i got too.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 11:17:11 PM »
When I was about 10, my dad was playing My Girl on the radio one time, and he was like "Man! Everytime I hear this song, I think of dancing with cindy whoever in Dance class in junior high, I can still smell her perfume... see, music today doesn't have that magic, you'll probably never have that kind of reaction to a song because all the songs today aren't any good"

LOL if he only knew

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 11:17:55 PM »
Oh, and there's a country song that goes

"Ain't it funny how a melody, can bring back a memory?"

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 03:23:44 AM »

tnp

Hell yeah!  I do that same exact thing.  When I hear a certain part of a song, I can tell you a landmark of place that comes to mind right away.

I'll use one of my favorite albums as an example:

N.W.A. - Niggaz4Life

I think of......
1.   Prelude (a specific spot in my hallway listening to it on my headphones thinkin' "If mom knows what I'm listening to, she'll throw it out")
2.   Real Niggaz Don't Die (sitting on my porch swing)
3.   Niggaz 4 Life (a hot ass day on the playground {elementary school})
4.   Protest (me and my cracka Shane listening to it)
5.   Appetite For Destruction (playing basketball in an alley down the street)
6.   Don't Drink That Wine ( always thought of commericals)
7.   Alwayz Into Somethin' (just think of the black&white video for this)
8.   Message To B. A. (I automatically think of 'broomstick')
9.   Real Niggaz (quiet summer night)
10.   To Kill A Hooker (always thought of it as part of "one less bitch")
11.   One Less Bitch (the outro always makes me think of this girl from 6th grade)
12.   Findum, Fuckum And Flee (the tree in my front yard)
13.   Automobile (these 3 brothers at school always singing this on the playground)
14.   She Swallowed It (my fifth grade teacher because this one kid would always say Euguene {the teacher's real name} swallowed it!)
15.   I'd Rather Fuck You (of a conversation my friend told me he had with this hot bitch in our class from 6th grade)
16.   Approach To Danger (cool night)
17.   1-900-2-COMPTON (always thought of it as part of the song)
18.   The Dayz of Wayback (of walking down Bolton Ave. and seeing someone I didn't like from school)

I can do that shit with just about any album.  That one really doesn't have an landmarks because I was only 10 years old when the album came out.  Anything that came out in 1996 or later, I can name specific buildings or streets that I think of with certian songs.

Yep im the same i can always remember where i was / what i was doing when i listen to albums / songs...:)

HHH

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "hello!!"
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 04:49:26 AM »

Funkadelic

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 11:34:05 AM »
It doesn't depend on the weather. I can even bump all these dope summer tracks on a rainy day. When I'm happy I hear happy music. When I'm sad, I'm listening to sad music.

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 11:49:08 AM »
Word...there are albums that remind me of particular seasons and shit...

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 05:19:00 PM »
good post... same thing for me

Sikotic™

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 05:23:01 PM »
I remember when I first got Tha Last Meal I was up in Big Bear when it was snowin'. It brings back memories of the cold too.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 07:40:39 PM »
i kno EXACTLY wut u guys r talkin about and 4 me cetan songs remind me of colors and i tryin imagin a video 4 sum songs n shit