Author Topic: Aftermath Era Busta Rhymes: What went wrong?  (Read 1635 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Aftermath Era Busta Rhymes: What went wrong?
« on: November 09, 2020, 03:06:11 AM »
Was bumping the Wash soundtrack and remembered the Busta Rhymes banger on there.  Showed so much promise.  Seems he had his share of bangers with Dre.  Why didn't it work?
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

Re: Aftermath Era Busta Rhymes: What went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 05:25:16 AM »
why? it worked. they release an album.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

David Gutterman

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 05:59:48 AM »
The Big Bang is really dope, my favorite Busta album  8)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:54 AM »
I don't think anything went wrong...the album was dope and became Busta's first #1 on the charts I believe

Hittman2001

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 07:44:13 AM »

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 10:13:45 PM »
his aftermath album is probably his best

k1000

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:11:34 PM »
his aftermath album is probably his best

I prefer "Genesis". It has an Aftermath flavour thanks to 4 Aftermath beats (3 Dre and 1 Mel-Man).

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
What ya'll think were his best songs of the Aftermath Era?

Dre is usually at his best when he first links with an artist.  Eazy "Boyz in the Hood", "Deep Cover" was first joint he did with Snoop, and it still stands as one of their best they ever did together.  "My Name Is" was one of the first he did with Eminem.  "Bitch Please" with Xzibit.  "In the Club" with 50.   

Dre had worked with Bus before but "Holla" was the first joint I can think of off top.  Bus was reaching to the nightly heavenz, in the zone on this one, Oh My God!! "Scripture at your Bar Mitzvah"!!  Those verses were some 5% god emcee revelation, with production as sound as the howl of the full moon!!

"Break Your Neck" was a banger for sure I thought would blow up way more than it did.  Seemed like a perfect pop hit with #1 potential.  But it didn't really blow up all the way.

What were his best Dre/Aftermath era related tracks?

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

k1000

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
i would have bet "Break Your Neck" destroyed everything in its path.

Anyway, the 4 Aftermath beats on "Genesis" are dope. "Holla" as you said, "Truck Volume" is totally devastating, "Break Your Neck", title speaks for itself, and Mel-Man brings something else to the table with "Bounce" ; subtle and overwhelming.

Astonishingly, Busta's Aftermath LP came out much later, because he then released "It Aint Safe" (with no Dre involvement at all) and finally reconnected with Dre in 2006 for "The Big Bang".

This Aftermath album was delayed multiple times and highly anticipated. I was disappointed by the singles before the album dropped, but when it dropped, the intro song is probably my favorite Busta-Aftermath collab: "Get you Some" has everything  :o

heisenberg

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »
he was close to drop a second album on aftermath, if im correct the first title of the second aftermath album was not B.O.M.B. then he renamed it B.O.M.B. still on aftermath and he left the label before the release. Probably cause the multiple delays and he started the album from scratch.

he took him 11 years to release another solo, thats weird. i dont know if he had a depression or something cause physically he was not the same.

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 05:35:03 PM »
he was close to drop a second album on aftermath, if im correct the first title of the second aftermath album was not B.O.M.B. then he renamed it B.O.M.B. still on aftermath and he left the label before the release. Probably cause the multiple delays and he started the album from scratch.

he took him 11 years to release another solo, thats weird. i dont know if he had a depression or something cause physically he was not the same.

i believe tha crip has some version of his second aftermath solo in his sticky custom project thread 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 11:50:44 PM »
i would have bet "Break Your Neck" destroyed everything in its path.

Anyway, the 4 Aftermath beats on "Genesis" are dope. "Holla" as you said, "Truck Volume" is totally devastating, "Break Your Neck", title speaks for itself, and Mel-Man brings something else to the table with "Bounce" ; subtle and overwhelming.

Astonishingly, Busta's Aftermath LP came out much later, because he then released "It Aint Safe" (with no Dre involvement at all) and finally reconnected with Dre in 2006 for "The Big Bang".

This Aftermath album was delayed multiple times and highly anticipated. I was disappointed by the singles before the album dropped, but when it dropped, the intro song is probably my favorite Busta-Aftermath collab: "Get you Some" has everything  :o

^^nice post^^.

btw "Carried Away" with Nas was another great joint from the Aftermath era... Nas always comes through for Dre (unless of course its the firm album) "East/West Killaz", "Hustlaz", "Topless", etc ..

Funny thing though, don't know if anyone else noticed this but did this album sound to anyone like it wasn't Mastered to the quality of other Death Row/Aftermath albums?  Sound quality didn't seem as full or loud?  Maybe it was something with my system

another good Busta Aftermath joint was his guest spot on Game's first album.

k1000

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
he was close to drop a second album on aftermath, if im correct the first title of the second aftermath album was not B.O.M.B.

It was supposed to be called "Blessed" (or even "Before Hell Freezes Over" earlier). Aftermath had released a promo single with Linkin Park in 2008 were you can read "Blessed coming soon":
https://img.discogs.com/tlH9ZEuVxXzfpxOGh0OuyMm2LHw=/fit-in/471x475/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1893179-1479094412-6564.jpeg.jpg

k1000

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 11:03:11 AM »
^^nice post^^.

btw "Carried Away" with Nas was another great joint from the Aftermath era... Nas always comes through for Dre (unless of course its the firm album) "East/West Killaz", "Hustlaz", "Topless", etc ..

Funny thing though, don't know if anyone else noticed this but did this album sound to anyone like it wasn't Mastered to the quality of other Death Row/Aftermath albums?  Sound quality didn't seem as full or loud?  Maybe it was something with my system

another good Busta Aftermath joint was his guest spot on Game's first album.

did not notice the sound quality being soft. But i'm not good at it. Although i did notice the sound quality on his latest release (ELE2) is sometimes very mediocre.

Okka

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 10:14:56 AM »
Busta didn't sell as much as they expected. That's what went wrong. As far as music goes though, "The Big Bang" is one of Busta's best albums.