Author Topic: Rank Daz Albums -- Where does So So Gangsta rank?  (Read 1594 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Rank Daz Albums -- Where does So So Gangsta rank?
« on: November 18, 2020, 10:34:39 PM »
Daz and Kurupt always seemed to me like artists who worked better on a major label.  We saw how lazy Kurupt got with his rhymes when he went Independent with his own company Antra.  He came weak on Kuruption even though he wasn't far from his prime.  Same with Daz... Revenge Retaliation Get Back meets the Death Row gold standard of their prime—but then Daz got sloppy with Raw.  It has bangers and had potential but everything from the marketing, to the artwork, to the sequencing—it's all sloppy. 

So I was thinking—Daz is back with a major.  He is with So So Def and Sony... but then So So Gangsta album came and went without nearly a word about it.  I don't even remember anyone on this forum talking about it.  I definitely slept though it.

Sccit put me up on "Money On My Mind" in another thread so I've gone back and gotten into the album.  It has some solid cuts, "All I Need" is a nice joint as well.  So where ya'll rank it in Daz solo albums?  I got it as #3 because I think most his Independent shit is sloppy.  The one exception is RAW and probably only because he still had some leftover Death Row bangers in his stash... so I got...

1.  RRGB
2.  RAW
3.  So So Gangsta

...then where ya'll rank the rest?
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

Re: Rank Daz Albums -- Where does So So Gangsta rank?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
so so gangsta def his best and sad, but only "professional" (big label type) album.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:28:40 AM »
I'd put it either 3rd or 4th tied with TITLIL depending on my mood

in fact the only Daz album I could never get into was Gangsta Crunk

Okka

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:08:54 AM »
I definitely don't agree with most of what you're sayin' in your post. You're ranking "So So Gangsta" as number three 'cause it had some "solid cuts"? That's crazy.

I know the albums I like the most from Daz, but I'm not sure how I would rank all of his albums. I like "Retaliation, Revenge & Get Back", "R.A.W.", "This Is The Life I Lead", "DPGC: U Know What I'm Throwin' Up", "Tha Dogg Pound Gangsta LP", "So So Gangsta", "Only On The Left Side" and "D.A.Z." the most. "Dazamataz" too. Not in any specific order, except that "R.A.W." is my favorite album from him.

Tony Trey

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 12:13:08 PM »
When I buy a Daz album, I want Daz production.  I want the entire thing produced by him, or least a solid majority.  For that reason alone, So So Gangsta is easily in the bottom 25% of his catalog.  As to where I rank his others, he has so many that I find it easier to rank them in tiers.

Top Tier - Almost perfect for me:  This Is The Life I Lead was his strongest overall, followed by RAW & RRBG. 
2nd Tier - Really good, possibly with a couple missteps:  Dazamataz, Matter of Dayz, and D.A.Z. are relatively close together. 
3rd Tier - These might have a couple good songs, but aren't solid enough to be in my regular rotation:  DPGC-U Know What I'm Throwing Up, Public Enemiez, I Got Love In These Streetz, Only On The Left Side
Bottom Tier - No Daz production = No buy from me: Gangsta Party, So So Gangsta, Gangsta Crunk, Witit Witit, and Weed Money

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
I definitely don't agree with most of what you're sayin' in your post. You're ranking "So So Gangsta" as number three 'cause it had some "solid cuts"? That's crazy.

I know the albums I like the most from Daz, but I'm not sure how I would rank all of his albums. I like "Retaliation, Revenge & Get Back", "R.A.W.", "This Is The Life I Lead", "DPGC: U Know What I'm Throwin' Up", "Tha Dogg Pound Gangsta LP", "So So Gangsta", "Only On The Left Side" and "D.A.Z." the most. "Dazamataz" too. Not in any specific order, except that "R.A.W." is my favorite album from him.

We are actually not in disagreement... only thing I’m sure of is RRGB at #1 and RAW at #2.  I was asking where to place So So Gangsta on the list—and I only suggested that Daz Independent projects are sloppy and don’t have the machine behind them to demand perfections from Daz so he takes shortcuts. 

It’s like Kurupt on Kuruption you can see many mistakes and short cuts, those two even said in an interview when asked why their stuff was all fire on Death Row Kurupt responded “trust me not all the shit was fire but you ain’t ever gonna hear that shit” meaning if it didn’t meet the gold standard at that time it would never see the light of day.

Because I thought So So Gangsta has more of the markings of a Major—Sony label project I thought maybe it appeared more complete.  But I was just asking y’all cause it there is a more obvious choice for #3 I want to check it out more in depth to compare.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
not sure how i’d rank em but dazamataz is definitely top 5

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:24 AM »
When I buy a Daz album, I want Daz production.  I want the entire thing produced by him, or least a solid majority.  For that reason alone, So So Gangsta is easily in the bottom 25% of his catalog.  As to where I rank his others, he has so many that I find it easier to rank them in tiers.

Top Tier - Almost perfect for me:  This Is The Life I Lead was his strongest overall, followed by RAW & RRBG. 
2nd Tier - Really good, possibly with a couple missteps:  Dazamataz, Matter of Dayz, and D.A.Z. are relatively close together. 
3rd Tier - These might have a couple good songs, but aren't solid enough to be in my regular rotation:  DPGC-U Know What I'm Throwing Up, Public Enemiez, I Got Love In These Streetz, Only On The Left Side
Bottom Tier - No Daz production = No buy from me: Gangsta Party, So So Gangsta, Gangsta Crunk, Witit Witit, and Weed Money

Need to go back and check This Life I Lead.  You had it ranked even higher than RRGB?  Holy shit

Tony Trey

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 04:49:00 AM »
Need to go back and check This Life I Lead.  You had it ranked even higher than RRGB?  Holy shit

Yup.  Something about Daz and Mike Dean together that just does it for me.

Suga Foot

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
My problem with So So Gangsta was there was so much good songs that didn't make the album

"Boyz N tha hood" with Nate Dogg
"get drunk" prod by Scott Storch
"party people" with Jagged Edge
"daz thang" with kurupt

These all leaked before the album came out so when the album dropped without these songs it was kinda dead to me and I never really got into it. 

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Okka

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 01:30:38 AM »
My problem with So So Gangsta was there was so much good songs that didn't make the album

"Boyz N tha hood" with Nate Dogg
"get drunk" prod by Scott Storch
"party people" with Jagged Edge
"daz thang" with kurupt

These all leaked before the album came out so when the album dropped without these songs it was kinda dead to me and I never really got into it.

Those songs were all dope. I don't remember "Party People" though, but it was still a great album. You should check it out.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:42 AM »
not sure how i’d rank em but dazamataz is definitely top 5

it could have been cut down a little but yeah it was very dope...Daz discography has been amazingly consistent over the years 8)