Author Topic: Why did Kuruption fail? How Kurupts first solo could've been a classic...  (Read 1505 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
All Kurupt had to do was condense the album to one disc, remove the filler, tighten his lyrics up a bit to his Death Row quality.  Maybe add a couple bangers and he could've had a classic.  Here's the makings of what could've been a classic... (off the top of my head). This should've been the tracklist.  Tighten up the lyrics, condense it to one disc, and add another banger or two and you got a classic.

TRACKLIST FIXED

1. "This Ones For You" - Good sound and chorus, but lose the intro, and tighten up the lyrics
2. "Put That On Something" - Very underrated and vintage Kurupt joint.  Stellar production and concept (this song is good as is)
3. "Make Some Noise" - good as is, Daz was still at top of his game, so the Daz work on Kuruption is up to standard
4. "We Can Freak It" - Perfect lead single, the single also did well commercially, it might of hit #1 on some outlets, good as is, good video as well
5. "Fresh" - good as is, Daz was still at top of his game, so the Daz work on Kuruption is up to standard
6. "C-Walk" - Shit was fuccin bangin and should be regarded as a West Coast anthem, good as is
7. "Hos a Housewife" - Concept was so good that Dre even ripped this one.  Obviously the production was the issue on this one, tighten up production
8. "Another Day" - Banger but just not sure if Gonzoe and Slip Capone are worthy guest appearances.  Could of gone with an Ice Cube or a BadAzz on this one
9. "Ask Yourself A Question" - Flawless, memorable joint from Dre's post Death Row - Pre Eminem era of his career.  Was supposed to be a mini-movie never released.  They fucced up with the early release and this came late as a bonus cut
10.  "That's Gangsta" nice Warren G assisted track
11. "The Life" Kurupts most under-rated cut in my opinion.  It's a sleeper classic.  Reminds of Bad Azz "The Last Time". One of those softer cuts you can put on repeat and drift away to another zone
12. "Who Do U Be" good chorus and production but tighten up the lyrics Kurupt
13.  "We Can Freak It" - Nore banger, but rushed album made this a bonus cut

This shit still went gold didn't it?  If it was a double disc then Kurupt might've still made a grip on it.  But he could've gone platinum if done correctly.  I think it did like 300,000 to 600,000.  Kurupt is the type of artist that needed the Death Row or Major Label machine to ensure quality and standard.  He got sloppy out on his own.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:48:33 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

Re: Why did Kuruption fail? How Kurupts first solo could've been a classic...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 10:59:24 PM »
the west coast disc is actually great... not classic, but a buncha bangers on there from top 2 bottom

the east coast disc is what dragged it down tbh

streetz iz a mutha was his definitive classic tho, and that came out on the same label, so he was clearly capable even witout death row

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 11:46:11 PM »
the west coast disc is actually great... not classic, but a buncha bangers on there from top 2 bottom

the east coast disc is what dragged it down tbh

streetz iz a mutha was his definitive classic tho, and that came out on the same label, so he was clearly capable even witout death row

I thought Streetz is A Mutha and Space Boogie were Major Label and Kuruption was all Kurupt??   Maybe there was some quality control or oversite somewhere on second and third album because the quality is better.  I'll have to look it up (but too lazy)

...Yeah, East Coast disc dragged it way down, notice I only kept like 2 or 3 cuts off the East Coast disc.  "Gimme What You Got" was not a worthy single and didn't deserve a video.  Seemed like he was just chillin with different homies and recording tracks with them but a lot of weak guest appearances on this album.  Tray Dee did his thing on "C-Walk" and Dre always steps up to standard -- but weak other than that
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Tony Trey

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:52:53 AM »
As much as I liked Kurupt as part of Tha Dogg Pound and as great as a lyricist as he used to be, he's only ever really released one solo album that was good to me, Tha Streetz Iz A Mutha.  All the rest are held down by either shit guests, shit production, or lazy Kurupt lyrics. It's sad that the two best lyricists on the West Coast (Kurupt and Crooked I) just can't seem to make solid albums.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 04:59:34 AM »
the East Coast disc suffered because of weak guest spots and production...Buckshot and Nore were probably the 2 exceptions...I mean it was a high profile release and he could not even get a throwaway Primo or Pete Rock beat?

Kurupt was actually spitting hard on there, Its A Set Up and Game are vintage Kurupt 8)

kuruptDPG

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »
dr dre advised him not to do a double disc but kurupt went ahead with it anyway

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 10:28:12 PM »
the East Coast disc suffered because of weak guest spots and production...Buckshot and Nore were probably the 2 exceptions...I mean it was a high profile release and he could not even get a throwaway Primo or Pete Rock beat?

Kurupt was actually spitting hard on there, Its A Set Up and Game are vintage Kurupt 8)

He had that nice joint at the time with Pete Rock.  The one where they are riding race cars in the music video.  Too bad, him and Pete Rock couldn't have shared that song for both of their albums.  That was desperately needed for the East Coast disc.

I don't remember Buckshot coming nice, and "It's A Set Up" had a video didn't it?  But I never remember seeing it on.  I have to go back and check it.  "Game" I remember having a nice beat and concept but Kurupt coming weak on.. I'll go back and listen to all those maybe I missed something

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 12:03:52 AM »
HIS SOLO DEBUT SHOULDA BEEN FULLA SONGS LIKE UP DOWN N AROUND

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 03:41:59 AM »
HIS SOLO DEBUT SHOULDA BEEN FULLA SONGS LIKE UP DOWN N AROUND

good find

Okka

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 09:48:32 AM »
I like both discs, but you could definitely turn it into just one disc and maybe add "Story To Tell" with Snoop (that was supposed to be on the album) as a bonus on there.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 11:26:53 AM »
He had that nice joint at the time with Pete Rock.  The one where they are riding race cars in the music video.  Too bad, him and Pete Rock couldn't have shared that song for both of their albums.  That was desperately needed for the East Coast disc.

I don't remember Buckshot coming nice, and "It's A Set Up" had a video didn't it?  But I never remember seeing it on.  I have to go back and check it.  "Game" I remember having a nice beat and concept but Kurupt coming weak on.. I'll go back and listen to all those maybe I missed something

the most high profile producers the East disc had was Easy Mo Bee who did the track with Buckshot "Light Shit Up"...Devante did "I Wanna Fuck" and Stevie J did "We Can Freak It Out" with Nore...D-Moet produced "Its A Set Up" and "Game" as well as a couple of other tracks including "The Life"

I like both discs, but you could definitely turn it into just one disc and maybe add "Story To Tell" with Snoop (that was supposed to be on the album) as a bonus on there.

there was definitely some heat left off the album..."Gangsta Shit" with Snoop was another one