Author Topic: Do Christians Believe...?  (Read 202 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Do Christians Believe...?
« on: May 12, 2003, 07:11:16 PM »
Do Christians believe that Jews are the "chosen people"...?

My Christian homie was telling me this, and was also telling me how Christians believe Israel is the "Holy Land" and how it belongs to the Jews and that God will do whatever he can to protect the Jews and Israel...I don't really understand much of this...If Christians believe Jews are the "chosen people", why don't they just convert? Can anyone please explain it to me?

The Big Bad Ass

Re:Do Christians Believe...?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 07:14:59 PM »
None of the denominations I've been apart of, or studied with refer to Jews as "Chosen People". Old Test. calls them that, but I don't recall ever reading that phrase in the New Test. which is what our religion is pretty much based entirely on.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 07:17:34 PM »
Sure, I'll be happy to!

Good question... it's kind of confusing.  Christians believe that the chosen people of God are the jewish people.  There's a thing called the abrahamic covenant, where god promised that all of the people that made it into heaven would be of abraham's descent, and abraham fathered the jewish tribes of israel.  In the new testament, it further explains that even if someone isn't a blood descendant of abraham, he can still make it to heaven, because in christ, we are all descendants of abraham, since it was promised to abraham that all those saved in christ would be his descendants, lol.. so it's kinda like others are adopted into judaism if they are 'saved'.

Anyways, the old testament tells of jesus's coming; christians believe that Jesus was the saviour mentioned in the JEWISH old testament; Jews didn't believe he was their saviour, and had him crucified... christians, jesus's followers, believe that the jews incorrectly crucified their own saviour.

So today, Jews are waiting for the savior to arrive, and christians are waiting for the savior to return.  The big problem Jews had with christ was that he wasn't a 'king' in the traditional sense, they felt that since he was so poor and not born of noble birth (as far as they knew) that he wasn't their king, and therefore wasn't their saviour.  Christians believe that Jesus was in fact the descendant of David, and as such, was the rightful king of Israel.  He chose to live in poverty, and was crucifed as an end to mans sins (by allowing himself to die, an immortal deity, he paid the price of our insurmountable sins).

So basically, in a nutshell, christians believe jews just didn't recognize jesus as the saviour.  Christians are really jews, they're just the jews that accepted Christ as the savior, whereas the modern day tribes that identify with judaism didn't.  

Peace~

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 07:19:19 PM »
I see...It's just cuz I've had a few Christians tell me that, and I was wondering about it...I was also watching some program on TV where all these Christians were talking highly of Jews, and how they need to help protect the Jews and their Holy Land (Israel)...

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 07:19:55 PM »
OH, and as Big Bad Ass mentioned, most christians don't believe that jews will be saved since the jews don't accept christ, so they wouldn't call them 'chosen people'... my particular sliver of christianity believes the jews are just being decieved and are still his 'chosen people'.  Peace~

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 07:22:18 PM »
Sure, I'll be happy to!

Good question... it's kind of confusing.  Christians believe that the chosen people of God are the jewish people.  There's a thing called the abrahamic covenant, where god promised that all of the people that made it into heaven would be of abraham's descent, and abraham fathered the jewish tribes of israel.  In the new testament, it further explains that even if someone isn't a blood descendant of abraham, he can still make it to heaven, because in christ, we are all descendants of abraham, since it was promised to abraham that all those saved in christ would be his descendants, lol.. so it's kinda like others are adopted into judaism if they are 'saved'.

Anyways, the old testament tells of jesus's coming; christians believe that Jesus was the saviour mentioned in the JEWISH old testament; Jews didn't believe he was their saviour, and had him crucified... christians, jesus's followers, believe that the jews incorrectly crucified their own saviour.

So today, Jews are waiting for the savior to arrive, and christians are waiting for the savior to return.  The big problem Jews had with christ was that he wasn't a 'king' in the traditional sense, they felt that since he was so poor and not born of noble birth (as far as they knew) that he wasn't their king, and therefore wasn't their saviour.  Christians believe that Jesus was in fact the descendant of David, and as such, was the rightful king of Israel.  He chose to live in poverty, and was crucifed as an end to mans sins (by allowing himself to die, an immortal deity, he paid the price of our insurmountable sins).

So basically, in a nutshell, christians believe jews just didn't recognize jesus as the saviour.  Christians are really jews, they're just the jews that accepted Christ as the savior, whereas the modern day tribes that identify with judaism didn't.  

Peace~

Thanks...

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 07:22:23 PM »
Yeah, I personally hope people of Jewish faith can make it to heaven, but 99% of the peeps I know believe you won't. I tell them they are wrong for making that assumption since only God himself knows.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 07:26:06 PM »
^^ Yeah, that's true too, I can't say for a certainty of course that any jewish people will be saved, it ain't my call... but mormons typically believe that since people evil and bad will all be resurrected upon christ's second coming, they will all have a second chance to convert, ya dig?  (and I don't mean dig as in dirty bodies climbing out of graves, that's just disgusting, how dare you mention that, yall are crazy)

TheSheriff

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 07:22:12 AM »
Good explanation, Trauma.

Yeah, there are no "Christians", so to speak, as far as a completely differen religion or whatever; we're just Jews who believe Christ was our saviour.

Hellrazor818

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 06:01:01 PM »
Jews are filthy liars who took control of the world with their stolen money.

mauzip

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 09:33:36 PM »
Jews are filthy liars who took control of the world with their stolen money.

your stomach needs to be cut out with an unsharpened knife

TheSheriff

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 02:38:45 PM »
your stomach needs to be cut out with an unsharpened knife

A RUSTY blunt knife

Hellrazor818

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2003, 03:57:59 PM »
I take that comment back. They are not filthy. They are just lying thieves.

Quakaveli

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2003, 05:18:46 PM »
They are not filthy. They are just lying thieves.

not all, but I know wat ur saying...theres this skinny fuckin jew in my floor, holla @ me on AIM to get his hillarious pic...so anyway this fool is so fuckin stingy dude its a joke, pisses me of so much  :(

Hellrazor818

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2003, 05:22:34 PM »
I didnt actually say that they were filthy hygiene wise, but if thats what you believe then ok  ::)  ;D