Author Topic: DEATHROW RECORDS 30TH ANNIVERSARY RELEASES  (Read 3830 times)

abusive

Re: DEATHROW RECORDS 30TH ANNIVERSARY RELEASES
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
Yes, bankruptcy trumps copyright.  Copyright is just another type of ownership, just like owning land, a car, a business, etc.  When a company or a person files bankruptcy, what they're saying is "Judge, I don't have enough income to pay my debts, so please release me from paying those debts" and in exchange the judge says "Okay person or company, we can do that, but if you have assets that the court can sell to pay a portion of those debts, that's what we're going to do."  Copyright ownership is just another asset the court can sell.  I've actually had a few clients who had to disclose copyrights and in those cases, the court didn't sell the copyrights because they were basically worthless.  In Death Row's case, the copyrights and masters were worth literally millions of dollars, which were then used to pay down portions of Death Row and Suge Knight's debts.

As to a lifetime management agreement, I've never heard that before, but I'm trying to read up on it now. 

UPDATE:  Okay, so Suge made a claim that Dre, in order to leave Death Row, agreed to turn over to Suge (a) his publishing and copyright to The Chronic, (b) his 50% ownership interest in Death Row, and (c) Dre agreed to a lifetime management fee of 30% of whatever he earned in the entertainment business.  Suge made these claims in court during the 2016 wrongful death lawsuit from when he ran that guy over and killed him on the set of Straight Outta Compton.  Suge was alleging Dre actually hired that dude to kill Suge in order to not pay Suge millions owed from the Apple Beats sale.  Suge produced no evidence of any of this and the court dismissed his claim.  He lost.  Dre does not owe Suge any money.  Suge does not have Dre tied to a lifetime management agreement.  It was more Suge Knight bullshit.

Thanks for the response. As far as the last part goes... If Dre and Suge had a verbal agreement, wouldn't that be legally binding? If so, how could you say it's not true if it was a verbal agreement between two parties? Im glad you responded but you lost me with the Suge bs part + quick dismissal of something you just found out about. How do you know there isn't more to this that you don't know?

For the record, I'm not stating an opinion on this. I was under the impression that Suge still had interest in DR music. There was talk on the bomb1st YT channel that Snoop needed Suge to sign off on some of his music that Suge had a hand in for a movie Snoop wanted to do. I just want to make sure I'm not being lied to by any of the info I'm getting.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:24:23 AM by abusive »
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

abusive

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2021, 08:23:10 AM »
One more thing. If the music was wrapped up in a LLC, could it be touched during a bankruptcy?

Tony Trey

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2021, 12:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the response. As far as the last part goes... If Dre and Suge had a verbal agreement, wouldn't that be legally binding? If so, how could you say it's not true if it was a verbal agreement between two parties? Im glad you responded but you lost me with the Suge bs part + quick dismissal of something you just found out about. How do you know there isn't more to this that you don't know?

For the record, I'm not stating an opinion on this. I was under the impression that Suge still had interest in DR music. There was talk on the bomb1st YT channel that Snoop needed Suge to sign off on some of his music that Suge had a hand in for a movie Snoop wanted to do. I just want to make sure I'm not being lied to by any of the info I'm getting.

When I said it was bullshit, I was just summarizing what happened. He made a bunch of claims, produced no written contract or witnesses, and it was rightfully dismissed. Kind of like the bullshit claims Trump keeps making about fraudulent, stolen elections. Is it possible he had a verbal agreement with Dre? I suppose, but I don't think Suge would be silly enough to make a deal worth potentially millions over the course of decades without getting it in writing and getting Dre's signature.

Also, there's a thing called the statute of frauds that says for courts to enforce contracts that are longer than one year, they must be writing. Suge and more specifically his attorneys would have known better than to let Dre walk away on a hand shake deal under those terms knowing the bad blood between Dre and Suge and that it could go to court eventually.

The following users thanked this post: abusive

abusive

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »
Fair enough. What about the llc thing?

abusive

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2021, 05:53:55 PM »
https://www.scribd.com/document/223605676/Dre-Deathrow
Page four and five talk about the chronic Master. That is coming from Dre's side. It mentions an oral agreement as well but not for management.

romson19

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 10:13:55 PM »
another update

RIP Nate Dogg
RIP Nipsey Hussle
RIP Bad Azz

The following users thanked this post: abusive, SuperSpider

SuperSpider

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
fingers crossed for a sizeable chunk of Crooked I unreleased tracks  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
Death Row Crook was the best Crook. Far superior MC in terms of absolutely everything that just sat on a shelf, shit on Beverly Hills then sat on a shelf again.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 04:03:57 AM »
Any word on Helter Skelter or Eargazm? Dunno how much was ever recorded for them but would be hella dope if something was released.

J-Flexx's LP could be dope (any info on producers? Sam Sneed, Dre, Daz or Quik or what?) , but more interested in Street Scholars in decent quality.

An RBX LP from this time could be cool too.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

abusive

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
all positive until I read John Payne at the bottom lol

im not optimistic about all these things, not sure if even one will see the light of the day.
It's kind of hard to be optimistic when u see John payne's name at the bottom listed.j/k

I watched some of the last ig video so sorry if this was addressed already. What about unreleased videos? Music, studio sessions, Interviews, behind the scenes etc . Also, what about other non DR artist who recorded for DR? (I know they r great questions.)  It's been stated that Suge would tax artist by making them record a song for him while out in LA. With all of the talk of mary j being around for example, I know there has to be something recorded on her.

shmosh

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »
Street Scholars isn't getting any better than the leaked original album (that coincidentally I sourced from Sneed).

The album is unfinished which is why some of the tracks were missing verses and DR don't have it. When he turned over that released album he'd only included a couple of tracks from the original album and censored some of the lyrics.

So I wouldn't get too excited for Sam Sneed!

I would however hope there's some Eargasm sessions, or maybe RBX Dre-produced tunes from the Chronic/Doggystyle era which are yet to come out. Obviously everyone wants Heltah Skeltah but that will never get an official release, same for Tha Next Episode.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 06:56:03 AM »
Street Scholars isn't getting any better than the leaked original album (that coincidentally I sourced from Sneed).

If that version gets properly mixed & mastered, I'll be pretty happy!
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

Okka

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »

The album is unfinished which is why some of the tracks were missing verses and DR don't have it. When he turned over that released album he'd only included a couple of tracks from the original album and censored some of the lyrics.

So I wouldn't get too excited for Sam Sneed!

I would however hope there's some Eargasm sessions, or maybe RBX Dre-produced tunes from the Chronic/Doggystyle era which are yet to come out. Obviously everyone wants Heltah Skeltah but that will never get an official release, same for Tha Next Episode.

"Helter Skelter" was never recorded. They only made a few songs.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
Any word on Helter Skelter or Eargazm? Dunno how much was ever recorded for them but would be hella dope if something was released.

J-Flexx's LP could be dope (any info on producers? Sam Sneed, Dre, Daz or Quik or what?) , but more interested in Street Scholars in decent quality.

An RBX LP from this time could be cool too.

Other than a J-Flexx LP, don't think there was enough material recorded for Eargasm, RBX, or Helter Skelter. Maybe a few tracks at the absolute most for each project.

shmosh

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
"Helter Skelter" was never recorded. They only made a few songs.

I think there's 4? Enough for an EP release anyway. But as I said sadly this won't happen.