Author Topic: Suga Free 2 mics in the Source for his 97' album, they diss the shit out of him  (Read 1494 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I lost all my Source issues in move (except the Dre cover one you see in my signature) to Cali back in late 02'.  So I go back and order old back issues every now and then... I picked up the Biggie cover he had in 97' right before he died.  Not cause I'm a fan of Big but because I found a back issue for less than $10 I cop it...  Some interesting notes from the issue.

- They got Big cartoon of Biggie laying in a coffin at the end of the issue (not knowing Big would be murdered less than a month later).  And kind of surreal reading a feature article on Biggie about how he was the fuccin man at the time—without anybody realizing during the publication of that magazine that Big would be dead by the time the issue hit the shelves.   Crazy trip through time.

-  They diss the shit out of Suga Free in his album review.  They give props to Quik for his production but accuse Suga Free of using tired, worn out themes of Pimpin without offering anything new.  I think they fail to realize that that is not Suga Frees fault that so many rap artists is bitin' and took up that persona—but then you got one of the geniune pimps in the game Suga Free and you accuse him of followin' the trend?  He is the trend muthafuckaz!!!!  I'm too lazy right now but maybe later I'll do a screen shot.

-  Had a Master P, No Limit feature before they blew up.  All I really knew of them at that time was "Heaven For A Gangsta" being a banger on Rhyme and Reason and their little 15 minutes in the documentary.  But anyway, it was cool to see a well done feature on No Limit before they blew.  Showed the Source always had their ears to the streets and the underground. 

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Okka

Damn, The Source used to be one of my favorite magazines, but fuck 'em for dissing that classic album. Could you take a picture of the review?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Damn, The Source used to be one of my favorite magazines, but fuck 'em for dissing that classic album. Could you take a picture of the review?

Yeah sure homie I got you...just was being lazy but I’ll upload some photos later

...as for the Source it’s a great issue this was back when it was truly a Bible for headz, but the rating system for albums always had an East Coast bias because their offices are located in New York

The following users thanked this post: Okka, Sccit, dj coma

Okka

Yeah sure homie I got you...just was being lazy but I’ll upload some photos later

...as for the Source it’s a great issue this was back when it was truly a Bible for headz, but the rating system for albums always had an East Coast bias because their offices are located in New York

It's still the greatest Hip Hop magazine. I wish I still had my old magazines. I'm not even sure what happened to them.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It's still the greatest Hip Hop magazine. I wish I still had my old magazines. I'm not even sure what happened to them.

It’s actually my fault, I was being a bit influenced by the more Arabized version of Islam in 02’ so when I was moving I had to fit everything in my car and threw out all the classic magazines (except for the Dre 96’ cover).   And then on top of that in 01’ someone broke in my apartment and stole all my cases (not realizing the cds were not inside) so I lost all my liner notes to classic album.  So one of them was my fault, one not my fault.

Still pieces me off because I miss all that old hiphop memorabilia
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 05:37:17 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Sccit

where’s the pics at? curious to see the review

Sccit

embarrassing

• Muthafuckin' Don!
how'd you do that shit?

Sccit

how'd you do that shit?

you have to copy and paste the jpeg from the link by holding on to the pic and clicking copy

also, would help if you clicked resize image on the site before uploading it

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Master P and No Limit feature about 6 months before they blew up

Last page of Source April 97’ issue featured Biggie in coffin... little did they know...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 09:56:39 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Source trashes Suga Free debut album

Okka

Fuck Miguel Burke. Thanks for postin' those pictures, Infinite.

The following users thanked this post: huffnpuffslim

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Fuck Miguel Burke. Thanks for postin' those pictures, Infinite.

No doubt.. and just to put it in perspective, in the same issue they lauded Heavy D’s 97’ album and gave it 3 and a half mics.

Sccit

No doubt.. and just to put it in perspective, in the same issue they lauded Heavy D’s 97’ album and gave it 3 and a half mics.

east coast dick gobblers

The following users thanked this post: huffnpuffslim

thegooddoc

The album with the Dogg Pound feature?  Heavy D was cool if you were into pop, but 3 1/2 mics? lol