Author Topic: Dre could've released literally any version of Detox  (Read 713 times)

Dre could've released literally any version of Detox
« on: February 25, 2021, 03:50:43 AM »
and it wouldve shit on Compton.

Go back over the old bootlegs, what was recycled, shelved etc.. and you could easily whip up an album that was far far superior to that weedplate. Don't you agree with me?

Orbyte

Re: Dre could've released literally any version of Detox
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 04:56:02 AM »
Some versions would've been cool.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 05:38:49 AM »
Yeah but Dre seems to need to drop a brick every now and then in order to unleash something to make us forget about it after.

Back to back classics fill him with all kinds of angst whereas coming up off something that went wood means he can only win. I see you Dre.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:58:15 AM »
Don’t know what you are talking about—Compton was flawless and on par with the Dre standard of quality.  He didn’t do any promotion or videos for it I don’t know why...

Detox on the other hand had a great setup — “Kush” and “I Need A Doctor” were very popular songs even non headz were into... “Topless” was a great song.   But other than that I can see why Dre scrapped it.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: thegooddoc, dj coma

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:00:22 AM »
Most of detox leaks sounds bad to me.

Okka

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 01:31:05 PM »
"Kush" and "Topless" are better than anything on "Compton". I would've wanted to see that version of "Detox".

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 02:12:07 PM »
I take compton all Day

woof

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »
meh Under Pressure was supposed to be the single, song was wack

Topless and Shit Popped Off were nice though

thegooddoc

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »
Don’t know what you are talking about—Compton was flawless and on par with the Dre standard of quality.  He didn’t do any promotion or videos for it I don’t know why...

Detox on the other hand had a great setup — “Kush” and “I Need A Doctor” were very popular songs even non headz were into... “Topless” was a great song.   But other than that I can see why Dre scrapped it.

Yeah, don't understand the hate for Compton.  It was clear that Dre was more concerned with sound and less concerned with commercial success with Compton.  It would have been nice to see him promote the album.

The following users thanked this post: dj coma

dj coma

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 07:44:27 PM »
There were some great Detox leaks but also a lot of trash. I think it would have been a great album of course, but I’m really not sure if it could top Compton.

The Compton hate is annoying to me and I bet most of the people dissing it never even listened to it front to back so they don’t even understand what makes it a great album. If you’re not feeling the production or Dre’s flow, thats fine, but you can’t deny that the cohesiveness of the album, song transitions, and storytelling are top notch. There’s a lot of emotion put into the album that I can feel while l’m listening to it. It’s sort of similar to how I can feel Pac’s music when I listen to it.

jessiebarker2020

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 12:07:57 AM »
the mans best friend snippet didnt sound that great to me but that was only a snippet

Elson

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
do you have that snippet?

romson19

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 01:02:11 AM »

always wondered who sings this hook... sounds like Governor to me but im not sure... damn that song is from 2005 and this beat is still hot and in my opinion one of the best "detox reference track"
RIP Nate Dogg
RIP Nipsey Hussle
RIP Bad Azz

jessiebarker2020

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 05:15:35 AM »
If you’re not feeling the production or Dre’s flow, thats fine, but you can’t deny that the cohesiveness of the album, song transitions, and storytelling are top notch. There’s a lot of emotion put into the album that I can feel while l’m listening to it.

Such a cop out way of saying there were no game changing bangers on there. Really don't get this idol worship people have for Dre like he doesn't drop bricks every now and then.

Simple test:

Is Compton closer to 2001/The Chronic or Aftermath Presents?

There is your answer. Take any metric from personal favorites, immediate impact, sales, street buzz, online chatter, promotion and support from the label or just the timelessness or era defining nature of the songs.

2001/Chronic had those factors in droves and thats what people expected. Aftermath bricked and people wrote Dre off whilst some hardcore fans said is what great and you had to really listen to it to get what Dre was doing as his production was so advanced and the features so tight. LOL.

Both of them were rush jobs and not upto his usual standards. Even Dre treats this album like a forgotten memory (see that recent Insta post) that was shoved out there as an escape route for the marketing vehicle that was Detox.

With that said:

Look out for Detox!