Author Topic: Does Anybody Remember That Rumor?  (Read 872 times)

Jay_J

Does Anybody Remember That Rumor?
« on: March 03, 2021, 04:51:10 AM »
i remember i read and interview many years ago about some former aftermath producers were going to build a new record label...

neff-u, mel,man or glove comes to my mind first but im not sure.

do you guys remember?

Sccit

Re: Does Anybody Remember That Rumor?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
first time i’m hearing about that, but most these cats always have ideas that never come to fruition so i wouldn’t be surprised

Orbyte

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
Yes, I read the interview too. It was about a dude who worked for Dre and got tired of his attitude and him stealing credit and profit from beats. They tried to start an own label in 2003 (?).
I don't know if Chris was going to be on it too, but all the others you mentioned were supposed to be involved.

Nothing really happened though.
Mel-Man went on record and said that he always got credit for his work at Aftermath some years later.

And Scott did beats for 50 and Game after that, so either Dre lured them back with money or they just felt underappreciated before that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:45:41 AM by Orbyte »

Okka

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 01:56:39 AM »
Yeah, I still own the issue of The Source Magazine this article was in. It was (the A&R of Aftermath) Big Chuck, Mel-Man, Neff-U and Eric B (yes, that Eric B) and I think they were calling themselves The Drama Family? I'll dig up that magazine and take pictures of the article. I think I did type it once and posted it here in the past.

EDIT: Here it is.

Before &
Aftermath

In a shocking revelation,
some of dr. dre’s closest
associates have broken ties
with aftermath records
and are ready to expose
some of the label’s secrets.
Big chuck, mel-man, neff-u and
the legendary eric b. have launched the drama family
and they’re ready to get
the credit they deserve.

t’s time for me to do what I got to do for myself,” states Big Chuck. As Aftermath’s senior director of A&R, Chuck spent seven years helping build the label into the money-making machine it is today. Chuck says he convinced Dr. Dre to sign Eminem, and even arranged for Jay-Z’s contribution to “Still D.R.E.” But with Dre living up 2001’s “Big Egos” a little too often, creative differences soon arose. Big Chuck has now left Aftermath, aligned himself with noted Dre collaborators Mel-Man and Neff-U, and is looking to secure a label deal for his stable of artists, the Drama Family. Also helping out is the legendary Eric B., who is scouting potential talent as a VP for the Drama Family. In this exclusive, Big Chuck and Neff-U catch up with The Source to offer a glimpse into the inner workings of one of hip-hop’s most successful boutique labels. This is the interview Aftermath does not want you to read.

The Source: When were your final days at Aftermath Records?
Big Chuck: I left on July 21 because of creative differences between Dr. Dre and myself. I stayed loyal to the dude but I knew no matter how long I stayed I wouldn’t shine like the real diamond I am. I’m a boss, period. I’m not comfortable sitting there stroking $$$$$s. I ain’t a $$$$-sucker. Dre wants people to praise him all day like his name is in the Bible, and I can’t do that.
When did you first meet Dr. Dre?
I met Dre in the ’80s. I was with [Big Daddy] Kane and he was with N.W.A. It was in Detroit. I came in when the first Aftermath album jumped off and everybody counted him out. I was the Krazy Glue in the situation.
It had to take more than a personal beef for you to leave after seven years. Have you guys spoken since then?
Big Chuck: I haven’t spoken to him. I called him and he said he would call me back and he never did. He had the general manager, who is a dear friend of mine, call me and say he thinks we should part ways. He wasn’t man enough to holla at me. He [told] the GM that I ain’t brought him something hot in three years. This is what he told her. How the $$$$ is he going to say that when I recently brought him Neff-U? I hooked him up with the Training Day script. Me and him listened to the Eminem jump-off in his house and I told him he had to sign him. Even the new single, [the “P.I.M.P. (Remix)], with 50 and Snoop—I told them that this joint is a smash. He fought me for it and we kept it. Now look at it—it’s a smash. My ears are my talent.... A lot of $$$$ is being done over there where mutha$$$$as are being mistreated. People aren’t getting credit for records they’re doing. It’s like, “Take this money and be cool.” That happened to Neff-U a couple of times. Mel-Man might have gotten the [co-producer credit on Dr. Dre’s 2001], but he didn’t get that paper.
Neff-U, you’ve been working with Dre for about two years. What records have you done?
Neff-U: I did the beat on the Coors Light commercial featuring Dr. Dre. On The Eminem Show I did “My Dad’s Gone Crazy,” “Say What You Say,” and “When the Music Stops.” On 50 Cent’s album, I did “Back Down,” “If I Can’t” and I played on “Heat.”
The songs you just mentioned on Get Rich or Die Tryin’ were all credited as being produced by Dr. Dre. How did that happen?
Neff-U: I have no idea. I thought I would get co-producer credit [on “If I Can’t”] but I didn’t, so I told my uncle, [Big Chuck], and he handled it. They are fixing that as we speak. They screwed up the credits really bad, but Dr. Dre is Dr. Dre. I don’t try to focus on the business; I just love staying in the studio and doing the music part. Sometimes the business gives me a headache. I can’t get into the creative vibe so I let my uncle handle that stuff.
Big Chuck: As a producer, [Dre] is aiight, but as a person he’s a piece of $$$$. One minute you good with the mutha$$$$a and then he treating you funny-style. But a lot of people believe Dre’s got the chemistry. I was very surprised when Eve came back. Eve was being her own individual outside of the studio when they dropped her [in 1998]. I thought it was crazy when he got rid of her because she was doing what she wanted to do.
There is a lot of talent on that label; you would think they would release more albums.
Big Chuck: Well, you got one person who wants to be a superstar. He’ll sign these artists and keep them on the label for a year or two. I guess it’s a tax write-off. It’s pretty sad that most of the artists that get signed to Aftermath sit until they lose their adrenaline. They go in the studio and record then [Dre] gasses them up and drops them.
That sounds like a harsh fate; too bad it happened to one of the greats. Everyone was waiting for Oh My God. What happened with Rakim? Did he get dropped? Was the music coming out of the sessions really sub-par?
Big Chuck: I think Rakim got tired with that bull$$$$; he left. The god isn’t going to sit around and be mistreated. You got to look at Rakim as a guy who changed hip-hop entirely. How do you sign him and then stick him in the studio with a whole bunch of C-list producers? That’s disrespectful. Dre would throw him one track and not even sit in with him.
Neff-U: It was a shock to me because [the music] was cool. Rakim was Rakim, the Living Legend; the music was good.
Big Chuck: If Dre did the beats and Ra did the rhyme, then what is the problem?
These can’t all be Dr. Dre’s decisions.
Big Chuck: The investors have too much say in the artistic part of the game. These 75-year-old men are telling us how to sound, and they don’t understand the type of music we’re doing. You got these mutha$$$$as A&Ring a record and that’s bull$$$$. Damn the interests of the 75-year-old investors of the company. Damn that because it all falls back on the artist. And a lot of artists are scared to do what they want because they know if you don’t do it their way, sooner or later they will sabotage your career.
You’re going to have to deal with those same 75 year olds trying to get your Drama Family label off the ground.
Big Chuck: I’m trying to get creative control and a fair situation. A couple of real check-writers are hollering at me right now but I don’t want to say whom because I want it set in stone. These labels have been calling me and they’ve seen what I did.
What will be the first album released by the Drama Family and when will it drop?
Big Chuck: We’re working on a secret weapon and we’re going to shock the world with [this album]. The secret missile involves the whole label, and outside artists like Jay-Z and Missy will rock with me. It should be out at the top of the New Year.
As of now, what artists are associated with the Drama Family?
Big Chuck: I got Punch, who wrote Dre’s verses on “What’s the Difference?” and “Big Egos.” Some other artists are Blood Thirsty, Huggy, Goon, Dollar Roc and Stat Quo. Stat Quo’s been writing joints for Dre’s Detox album. Each person we bring along will be able to stand by himself and be superstars. I’m also bringing Freddie Foxxx and Jayo Felony to the label. And Hillstorian [Mel-Man] is going to be a key player in the production. He also has a good ear for talent.
Are you going to try to reach out to other Aftermath associates?
Big Chuck: I went up there [Aftermath Records offices] to get thousands and thousands of demos that get thrown in the garbage. You know how many thousands of demos are sent in and not even listened to in that office? I’ll reach out to all of them. We are going to embrace everyone who is trying to do the right thing.
Neff-U: We are trying to bring originality back into the game, start new trends and give people a chance to have an equal opportunity.
Big Chuck: We’re just going to find raw talent, and let the streets be the judge of the music.

“Dre wants to be a superstar. he’ll sign artists and keep them for a year or two. i guess it’s a tax write-off.” —Big chuck

“How do you sign rakim and put him in the studio with c-list producers? that’s disrespectful.” —Big chuck

The following users thanked this post: , dj coma

Jay_J

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 02:20:13 AM »
does anybody know where mal-man is today? or big chuck? you can't start a company with aiming at dr. dre. otherwise dre deletes you from history like you never existed in music business.

thats interesting dre still keeps neff-u around. he worked on compton and revival.

Orbyte

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 04:14:37 AM »
In my opinion "Heat" doesn't even sound like a Dre-beat.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 04:49:51 AM »
Dre steals a lot of stuff - See that time he apparently remade a Mobb Deep beat so well it sounded just like the original LOL - but often ends up putting a layer of shine on it and presents it perfectly. Way better than the original producer could as he's got that vision.

With Dre I see him as a co producer that takes something good to a higher level but has he ever came up with a true solo composition even from back in the days? He's always been a team player in that sense as long his name gets top billing and the kids coming up will happily hand him their tracks to say they worked with Dre so in effect he's just a pimp.

romson19

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 05:08:30 AM »
does anybody know where mal-man is today? or big chuck? you can't start a company with aiming at dr. dre. otherwise dre deletes you from history like you never existed in music business.

thats interesting dre still keeps neff-u around. he worked on compton and revival.

Mel Man IG
https://www.instagram.com/Radar_Live/
RIP Nate Dogg
RIP Nipsey Hussle
RIP Bad Azz

The following users thanked this post: dj coma

Okka

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 05:20:21 AM »
Dre steals a lot of stuff - See that time he apparently remade a Mobb Deep beat so well it sounded just like the original LOL - but often ends up putting a layer of shine on it and presents it perfectly. Way better than the original producer could as he's got that vision.

With Dre I see him as a co producer that takes something good to a higher level but has he ever came up with a true solo composition even from back in the days? He's always been a team player in that sense as long his name gets top billing and the kids coming up will happily hand him their tracks to say they worked with Dre so in effect he's just a pimp.

Dre produced "No One Does It Better" alone. Yella has said Dre did all the work back in the Ruthless days.

Okka

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 05:26:47 AM »

romson19

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 06:59:12 AM »
I don't think that's Mel-Man.

U think? im not sure but check this out?
RIP Nate Dogg
RIP Nipsey Hussle
RIP Bad Azz

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 07:38:44 AM »

he’s made many beats solo from scratch tho .. he just enjoys directing a team of musicians like a true composer, but that’s not because of his lack of ability as much as it is because of his incredible vision and leadership.

for instance, just dippin is all dre ..

at the end of of the day, he’s the end all be all on whatever he touches.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
We're saying the same thing, like a simile.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 11:22:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure he didn't have that much help back in the NWA days

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 01:02:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure he didn't have that much help back in the NWA days

he didn’t