Author Topic: Compton is a classic album  (Read 1414 times)

Re: Compton is a classic album
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 04:43:42 PM »
KUSH IS A FUCKING CLASSIC - PLAY THAT SHIT RIGHT NOW AND TELL IT DONT BUMP?

Kush is good but Compton is for the children! For real, the wisdom contained within that CD could be a new chapter of the gospel as it proves Dre is a prophet. Lyrics should be etched on stone tablets with a little wind up music player for future generations to savor the high point of our culture. You mere mortals need to catch up, you'll understand how good it is in about 20 years. Ketchup.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 01:35:34 AM »
I disagree. Compton is nowhere near the level of a Chronic or 2001 - not only numerically in terms of success, but conceptually or production-wise. Standalone leftovers that didn't even make it on the album - like Music To Driveby - were better than the entire release. Compton reminds me of the Aftermath compilation that flopped right before he realized he need to get back to what he knows and made 2001. Hopefully we'll see the same thing happen again.

I still love the Aftermath Presents album and bump it to this day.  I believe it was so far ahead of it's time nobody ever quite caught up to it. 

Shit.. one of the illest dreams I ever had was when I fell asleep one night with "Shittin On The World" playing on repeat... I ended up in some ill underworld carrying an 80's style boombox like Radio Raheem and selling old school tapes out the trunk of my car, into freaking hunnies at some underground African club, and an apartment complex that looked like Snoop's apartment in the Baby Boy movie... and the whole time that track was the one bumpin again and again and again for the 8 hours I was asleep.  Have you ever been so high you felt you were actually inside of the song?  Imagine that feeling but while lucid dreaming.

... and that's just one song.  "East/West Killaz" is the most timely hip-hop track of all time and Nas' greatest verse of all time.  RBX banger "Blunt Time" I put up against any track to this day... "Been There Done That" was epic... and "St8 Gone" with King Tee was a certified banger.. That David Bowie remake "Fame" is a banger and the sleeper that flies behind the radar is the "Nationowl" joint is one of the smoothest tracks you will ever here and the lyrics are fire and introspective.

I could write a whole fuckin book about this album... I even have written a lot about it... it was my favorite era in hiphop history and deepest year of my life 1996... I would say best year of my life because it was.. until 2pac got shot (so I will just say it was my best summer, and the magazine in my sig came out that summer I had it on top of my stereo next to my window all summer) and I ain't ever moved on since I been stuck in a time warp since Sept 13th.. a part of me died when Pac died

...but of course all this is just subjective and in my own humble opinion cause it's personal to me.  COMPTON is actually a great album OBJECTIVELY.  I'm not talking about my opinion or cause of the time period or anything like that... it is a great album critically

INFINITE TRAPPED IN 1996 HAS SPOKEN..
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post:

V2DHeart

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 06:38:23 AM »
No where near classic IMO. It has none of the redeeming qualities that a classic album should possess; replay value, an album that you can listen from start to finish with little to no skippers, tracks that you immediately know the melodies off. None of the indicators are there for me for this one. This album's status of a solid classic 'great' seems more of a forced marketing persuasion that it should be, than it actually is.

It's been years since I've listened to this album and the only track I remember is the Dre and DJ Premier one near the end of the album.

It's an average album, not trash, but in the same category as 'Aftermath Presents' to where it gets no replay spins
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Safe+Sound

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 08:43:22 AM »
I still love the Aftermath Presents album and bump it to this day.  I believe it was so far ahead of it's time nobody ever quite caught up to it. 

Shit.. one of the illest dreams I ever had was when I fell asleep one night with "Shittin On The World" playing on repeat... I ended up in some ill underworld carrying an 80's style boombox like Radio Raheem and selling old school tapes out the trunk of my car, into freaking hunnies at some underground African club, and an apartment complex that looked like Snoop's apartment in the Baby Boy movie... and the whole time that track was the one bumpin again and again and again for the 8 hours I was asleep.  Have you ever been so high you felt you were actually inside of the song?  Imagine that feeling but while lucid dreaming.

... and that's just one song.  "East/West Killaz" is the most timely hip-hop track of all time and Nas' greatest verse of all time.  RBX banger "Blunt Time" I put up against any track to this day... "Been There Done That" was epic... and "St8 Gone" with King Tee was a certified banger.. That David Bowie remake "Fame" is a banger and the sleeper that flies behind the radar is the "Nationowl" joint is one of the smoothest tracks you will ever here and the lyrics are fire and introspective.

I could write a whole fuckin book about this album... I even have written a lot about it... it was my favorite era in hiphop history and deepest year of my life 1996... I would say best year of my life because it was.. until 2pac got shot (so I will just say it was my best summer, and the magazine in my sig came out that summer I had it on top of my stereo next to my window all summer) and I ain't ever moved on since I been stuck in a time warp since Sept 13th.. a part of me died when Pac died

...but of course all this is just subjective and in my own humble opinion cause it's personal to me.  COMPTON is actually a great album OBJECTIVELY.  I'm not talking about my opinion or cause of the time period or anything like that... it is a great album critically

INFINITE TRAPPED IN 1996 HAS SPOKEN..

Hahaha, I'm glad you've experienced cool dreams and that the album has inspired you to write a book.

Art doesn't leave much room for objectivity. The point of most art is how it's interpreted by the observer. With music however, there are some aspects that can in fact be isolated and evaluated objectively like sound quality / soinics. But anything in the realm of liking or disliking what you're hearing falls into the opinion box, no matter how strong... which is fine because that what art is about.  :)

Str8 Gone with King T is a great song. I'd say the best song on the compilation. Can't really lose with T on a song. But overall I thought it was a terrible album.

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 09:34:59 AM »
the aftermath compilation is severely underrated .. not classic because there is a bit of filler, but def got its share of classic joints.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »
the aftermath compilation is severely underrated .. not classic because there is a bit of filler, but def got its share of classic joints.

Even Dres "worst" songs are way better than any other artist could hope to achieve on his best day. After all he's revolutionized the game countless times and is a true originator who is still current and can drop whenever he wishes, the whole world will sit up and listen.

Aftermath presents needs a level of intelligence to be able to contextualize it with music coming out from that specific era as it represented a counter current and was a refreshing breath of fresh air in the midst of that played out E/W beef.

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
Even Dres "worst" songs are way better than any other artist could hope to achieve on his best day. After all he's revolutionized the game countless times and is a true originator who is still current and can drop whenever he wishes, the whole world will sit up and listen.

Aftermath presents needs a level of intelligence to be able to contextualize it with music coming out from that specific era as it represented a counter current and was a refreshing breath of fresh air in the midst of that played out E/W beef.

damn u finally catchin on, i’m proud of u

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 10:21:55 AM »

damn u finally catchin on, i’m proud of u

mtbsm

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
This is my favorite thread in a minute. Dre-level excellence trolling

Hellquist

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 10:54:04 PM »
I don't consider Compton an album just like the Aftermath Presents, which is a compilation and shouldn't be judged as such. Compton is a soundtrack inspired by Straight Outta Compton. Compton has aged well to me. Now you have me listening to it right now. It's not a classic by any means, but surely not a flop. The 2010s should also not be judged by sales or all that jazz. If the Chronic and 2001 never sold shit, we would all say the same thing, which is they are masterpieces. I don't care about album sales and all that. It's about the music and escapism for me. What hurts Dr. Dre is his perfectionism. He should have 5 or 6 albums (Chronic, Heltah Skeltah, Chronic 2, 2001, Detox, Planets).

The following users thanked this post: Malcy

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 07:18:44 AM »
This is my favorite thread in a minute. Dre-level excellence trolling

Look out for Detox!

In the mean time remember to buy some headphones, laptops, trainers, albums that may or may not include Compton and whatever else the good Doctor recommends:

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2021, 07:36:55 AM »
The 2010s should also not be judged by sales or all that jazz. If the Chronic and 2001 never sold shit, we would all say the same thing, which is they are masterpieces. I don't care about album sales and all that. It's about the music and escapism for me. What hurts Dr. Dre is his perfectionism. He should have 5 or 6 albums (Chronic, Heltah Skeltah, Chronic 2, 2001, Detox, Planets).

2001 and The Chronic were Dre doing fast food for the masses, it was designed to sell well. Compton is for the intelligentsia, those that walk a higher path with the level of taste required to decode the multilayered symphony Andre Young gifted to the world as his true Magnum Opus. Matter of fact, give it 7 mics based off that alone. Where did we get the extra mic on top of the one from LLs arm?

Anyone: Tyson, Jordan, Jackson. Actually, lets give all them mics to Dre for this classic to end all classics: 

I heard that if you play Compton exclusively to pregnant women during the third trimester the child is born uttering the iconic phrase "Hayulll Yeaaahhh!" whilst recklessly eyeballing the Doctor, daring him to smack them. Apparently its a way of establishing dominance in the medical field, its a Doctor thing, you wouldn't understand.

V2DHeart

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 07:38:37 AM »
"Compton is such a good album, that even all of the women that Dr Dre has beaten up over the years still bump it"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 07:52:16 AM »

We all know Dre is a perfectionist who takes ever endeavor seriously so we should thank his dedication for plying his trade outside his area of immediate expertise in his quest for aural excellence. One misstep and the world may never have basked in the glory of Compton in the year 0 B.C.

That's Behold Compton therefore its now 6BC. Its a new day:

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 07:56:35 AM »
Listening to the song and you get some flashes of brilliance that show the evolution of Compton, I mean:

I woke up this morning thinking 'bout the old me
When I was feeling like, Miller Lite and OE

The way he rhymed "old me" and "OE" - That shit was genius mayne, GENIUS. Can you think on that level, mayne? I mean, can you? WHOOOO! I thought he'd never top the heights set by this solid gold bar from back when:

I get plenty of ass, so call me an ass-tronaut

But it just proves you can never count Dre out as he just keeps getting better and better.