Author Topic: Compton is a classic album  (Read 1437 times)

Tony Trey

Re: Compton is a classic album
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 12:12:14 PM »
Compton is the most boring, uninspired rap album I've ever heard.  It just sounds like Dr. Dre imitating Soundcloud, mumble rappers.

The following users thanked this post: Orbyte

hitsaw

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 02:49:08 AM »
This is not a classic, I even forgot this album came out.

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 04:25:19 AM »

You should go back to it and listen again, maybe you'll get it this time round as Dre wasn't dumbing himself down for the mainstream on this one. Conceptually its miles ahead of anything he's ever done. I mean look at this ground breaking lyric video he did just to make sure people get the message:

Talk about starting the album off on a high point and it just gets better and better from there on out. The fact that he's evolved to the point where Dre can now consider Pacs point of view and see through that lens too shows you the kind of humility crossed with excellence we've come to expect from Dre post 2001.

You better recognize, foo!

Orbyte

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 08:10:23 AM »
I know this is a troll thread, but It's all on me and Diary are classics in my book, nobody could change my mind about that.
Those are the only tracks in which Dre doesn't try to be/sound like something/someone that he isn't.
When it comes to the rest..I can take em or leave em.

I overplayed Just Another Day and hearing Paak scream that much on the Deep Water outro made my dislike the song after a point.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:16:09 AM by Orbyte »

escowino

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 10:54:35 AM »
I don't like the Compton album. Such a disappointment! I don't know anyone who even plays anything from that. I remember when I first heard it, i didn't feel it at all. I thought maybe I'm just too old, so let me play it for teenagers and see if they like it. None of them liked it. Every one of my friends I played it for who like rap, nobody liked it. I bet if you asked the average hip hop fan about it, that most would not be able to answer the questions that a classic album would be able to get. Like nobody quotes any of the lyrics off this album, I bet most can't name more than 5 song titles off this album, I've never heard anyone bump this in their ride or at functions. I even liked some of the Detox tracks more than anything on this album. Of course, the sonics and engineering are excellent, I'm not gonna argue that, but who cares about that when the songwriting/beats have no replay value. For me, Dr. Dre lost his ear for picking dope beats. The last thing I liked from him is the Topless song. Even stuff he has production credits for on the Eminems recent album is nothing special. Thats my opinion.

If you like it, thats cool, I'm happy for you. I guess we just have different tastes. Maybe its a classic in some peoples personal opinion, but not in the real world it isn't.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »
I don't like the Compton album. Such a disappointment! I don't know anyone who even plays anything from that. I remember when I first heard it, i didn't feel it at all. I thought maybe I'm just too old, so let me play it for teenagers and see if they like it. None of them liked it. Every one of my friends I played it for who like rap, nobody liked it. I bet if you asked the average hip hop fan about it, that most would not be able to answer the questions that a classic album would be able to get. Like nobody quotes any of the lyrics off this album, I bet most can't name more than 5 song titles off this album, I've never heard anyone bump this in their ride or at functions. I even liked some of the Detox tracks more than anything on this album. Of course, the sonics and engineering are excellent, I'm not gonna argue that, but who cares about that when the songwriting/beats have no replay value. For me, Dr. Dre lost his ear for picking dope beats. The last thing I liked from him is the Topless song. Even stuff he has production credits for on the Eminems recent album is nothing special. Thats my opinion.

If you like it, thats cool, I'm happy for you. I guess we just have different tastes. Maybe its a classic in some peoples personal opinion, but not in the real world it isn't.

what could have been

Safe+Sound

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 05:09:49 PM »
Even Dres "worst" songs are way better than any other artist could hope to achieve on his best day. After all he's revolutionized the game countless times and is a true originator who is still current and can drop whenever he wishes, the whole world will sit up and listen.

Aftermath presents needs a level of intelligence to be able to contextualize it with music coming out from that specific era as it represented a counter current and was a refreshing breath of fresh air in the midst of that played out E/W beef.

“The music I was doing at that time – it wasn’t completely up to par; it was just something that we were working on and experimenting with…. I think the album that we did at that time – The Aftermath record, the first record – it went platinum or what have you but it wasn’t my best foot forward. It didn’t just...it didn’t smash.”

- Dr. Dre

Source:

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 11:03:14 PM »
what could have been

The "Topless" version I always had in rotation was the one that had T.I. spitting Dre's reference vocals and then Nas' killer verse... Nas' really brought his A game for Dre and this track is one of the best unreleased tracks of all time. 

Best unreleased tracks of all rhyme -

Dre "Topless"
Dre and Royce "Throne Is Mine"
Eminem "Our House"
2pac "Play Your Cards Right" OG version
6'2" "Day Like Today" prod. by Dre

to name a few
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post:

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »
As an Upstanding Member I would like to distance myself from this obvious troll thread and take a moment to reassert that Compton was, without a shadow of doubt, a very weak album that was not worthy of the Dr Dre name and is in many respects worse than Aftermath Presents... and that takes some doing.

You are free to hold any contrary opinions. I choose not to agree with them.

Be well, mellow citizens.

The following users thanked this post: Safe+Sound