Author Topic: Who Has A Better Catalog? Dre, Timbo or Pharrel?  (Read 851 times)

tempo2

Re: Who Has A Better Catalog? Dre, Timbo or Pharrel?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 01:11:09 AM »
all procucer beats sound the same in some respect tho. thats what makes people go to them for a particular sound.

Jay_J

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2023, 02:22:13 AM »
dre was making music well before the other 2

so while he’s slowed down, his catalogue from the 80s 90s and 2000s is enough to put him at 1

it has nothing to do with who started making music first. there are a few legends also started producing before dre. for example grandmaster flash, marley marl... but they can't compete with dre's catalog.

it was 96 when timbo produced Aaliyah's debut album. It was 88 when dr. dre produce eazy-duz-it, jj fad and nwa. We might say dre was 8 years ahead of timbaland. Dre is almost retired since he produced relapse in 2009. But timbaland is still making hits till today and its 2023. Honestly, the variety of artists, variety of genres and longevity makes me say Timbaland has a bigger and various catalog. But let me repeat again that doesnt change the fact for me that Dr. Dre is still my favorite producer and an uncomparabel legend stands above these other 2 cats.

but i see the point why dre has less variety of artist and genres to fuck with. we all know how perfectionist he is and how many times his projects are shelved duo to his mood. if dre could release %10 of his vault back in the day, we wouldnt be comparing his catalog to anyone in the world today.

Jay_J

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2023, 02:25:39 AM »
Dre makes real music.  Dres sonics are unmatchd. Me never liked timbo that much, to much going on in hes productions and beats. Too noisy.
 Neptuns are too mainstream, pop, and all beats sounds the same.

we are talking about catalog bro. we are not comparing their skills or sounds.

dnjp4life

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2023, 05:06:27 AM »
If you were to ask most rap fans, they will say Dr. Dre, and list off the following albums:

N.W.A's first two albums, Eazy-Duz-It (these three alone already put Dre well on the path to legendary status), not forgetting No One Can Do It Better (perhaps more praised for The D.O.C.'s lyricism, but still);

The Chronic and Doggystyle (certified legend at this point), the other Death Row albums he had his fingers on (like giving 2Pac a massive record in 'California Love');

2001, nothing needs to be said about that album at this point, all the Eminem stuff he was involved with during this time, 50 Cent's first album, again, one of the biggest rap records of all time with 'In Da Club'.  Also all of the connected records during this period like Xzibit, D12, Obie Trice, Busta Rhymes etc;

Then you come to The Documentary, again a massive record, then onto producing all of Eminem's comeback album Relapse, getting involved with the big introduction of Kendrick Lamar and latterly Anderson. Paak.  And that's just a brief run through of Dre's production.

Now if you ask about Timbo or Pharrell, people will ring off some of their solo stuff, the big tracks produced for the likes of Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Busta Rhymes, Nelly Furtado etc and the many other artists that they've produced for, but if we're being honest, it's no way near Dr. Dre's output and overall influence.

So yeah, Dr. Dre wins this every time.  Even Pharrell and Timbaland would accept that and bow down.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit, Marco

Sccit

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 09:30:23 AM »
it has nothing to do with who started making music first. there are a few legends also started producing before dre. for example grandmaster flash, marley marl... but they can't compete with dre's catalog.

it was 96 when timbo produced Aaliyah's debut album. It was 88 when dr. dre produce eazy-duz-it, jj fad and nwa. We might say dre was 8 years ahead of timbaland. Dre is almost retired since he produced relapse in 2009. But timbaland is still making hits till today and its 2023. Honestly, the variety of artists, variety of genres and longevity makes me say Timbaland has a bigger and various catalog. But let me repeat again that doesnt change the fact for me that Dr. Dre is still my favorite producer and an uncomparabel legend stands above these other 2 cats.

but i see the point why dre has less variety of artist and genres to fuck with. we all know how perfectionist he is and how many times his projects are shelved duo to his mood. if dre could release %10 of his vault back in the day, we wouldnt be comparing his catalog to anyone in the world today.

i still say dre’s catalogue >>>>

doesn’t even start in 88

he was producing hits before eazy duz it.. let’s not forget

Lucifuge

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 01:34:45 PM »
All the nwa records, no one can do it better (for the time, album is so clean to thia day), chronic, doggystyle, sslp, mmlp, lastmeal, 2001, restless, d12, grodt, doxumentary, cheers, familly afair, bilall, gwen stefani, busta rhymes big bang, grate album, underated as fuxk. I mean, cant fuxk with dre when he actually relesse music. Fck it im drunk.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Dwax-187

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 03:28:20 PM »
Can someone post a tracklist of songs each producer produced?  So there is a reference to time, genre, hits, etc.

Jay_J

The following users thanked this post: astra4322

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »
Not to get too far in the weeds, but Dre had some big hits with Michelle and World Class Wreckin Cru back in the day.  Big club hits for the time.

The following users thanked this post: Okka