Author Topic: RIP Shock G  (Read 2334 times)

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

Re: RIP Shock G
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »
When Shock retired I remember him saying in an interview that making music leads him to do drugs and that's why he retired.

Yeap it was widely known that Shock did use drugs but not no Meth shit is insane 

BJV

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2021, 12:51:25 PM »
Shocked that Shock was on Meth. Sherm or something similar I could see fitting his demeanor but he never seemed like a tweaker as he came across so mellow.

Do you have a link to that interview?

I can't find the exact interview since it was so long ago but I did find an article from 2005 about his retirement with his retirement statement that also mentions it:

Shock G Hip-Hop Rap and P Funk Legend Retires
Written by Robert ID1655   
Monday, 11 July 2005 10:48

Hip-hop, rap, P-Funk artist Shock G aka Gregory E. Jacobs has announced he is retiring from music. Shock is also an accomplished artists and writer.

Along with Chopmaster, Shock G formed the Digital Underground hip-hop and rap group with its unique sound in 1987. The group was bizarre, funky and unique in the genre that was being dominated by hard core rappers and gangsta rap groups, but they flourished and survived.

Shock G had many alter ego’s, the most famous was Humpty Hump.

Being born on the east coast and finally settling in the Bay Area, Shock G has made an impact of the music industry worldwide.

One of his accomplishments was introducing the world to the late rap icon Tupac Shakur. Leila Steinberg became Tupac's first manager. Tupac formed the group Strictly dope with 5 other members including rap artist Ray Luv. Later Steinberg introduced Tupac to Shock-G of Digital Underground and Tupac traveled with the Digital Underground, and when Shock gave him his chance on Same Old Song – the world of hip-hop and rap music would never be the same.

Shock G was on many of Tupac’s songs. Some are I Get Around and F**k The World. Shock has worked with almost everybody, from hip-hop’s Richie Rich to funk’s George Clinton to pop’s Prince.

Shocks latest work is his Fear of a Mixed Planet CD. A great album and it stands as a testament of what the music world has lost with the announcement of Shock G’s retirement from the music field.

More recently Shock has been touring and he spoke at the Grand Opening  of the Tupac Amaru Shakur Center for the Arts in Stone Mountain, GA on June 11th.

Since this email from Shock was first posted in forums on the net, we wanted to wait and make sure it was in deed from Shock G and that the information was correct.

We have contacted Shock G’s people and it is confirmed that this is the way Shock G is feeling at the present. I am told he is fine and healthy and we wish Shock all the best in what ever he does. Our thoughts and prayers go with him and hopefully he will receive many blessing for all the blessing he has given all of us over the years. Shock is truly a legend and he will surely be missed in the studio.

Here is the statement from Shock G:

I''m retiring from all forms of studio work and song writing.

My reasons for retiring are:

1. I get no satisfaction or fullfillment from it anymore. It doesn''t make me happy. On the contrary, it depresses me.

Normally I''m not depressed, it's only surrounding the studio. I''m happy when I''m away from the studio.

2. Can''t make a living at it. 90% of the studio work I''ve done in the last 6 years has all been either for free or for peanuts, and hasn''t generated any income since.

3. It drives me to do drugs, cause I HATE BEING IN THE STUDIO. To much pressure & expectation for me to make/save/spark someone elses career or project.

4. I quit the studio. Fuck the studio.

5. I can''t win in the studio, It's pointless, it's a "catch 22" for me, watch:

If what I do sucks, it tarnishes the legacy, hurts the family, and even lowers the price, and also leaves the artists & involved-companies unhappy;

But if what I do shines, it generates more studio work for the future, and furthur traps me in the music business, a business I have no intention of slaving to the rest of my life. I gave it 20 years. I''m done.

6. Every man has the right to the pursuit of happiness and should first try a job that he might gain happiness & fullfillment from. This doesn''t make me happy anymore, it makes me miserable and a drug addict.

7. I''m done widdit. Whew!

YES, it already feels great already just to say it!!!

I most likely will try my hand at some of these:

> writing (Afeni assures me this is my true calling everytime she see's me. Maybe she's right?)

> acting

> stage performing, meaning accepting tours or positions in other bands doing keys & background vocals. (IF it's real and if the moneys good. No amatuer or free stuff anymore.)

> regular jobs in service (like clubs, hotels, TV show bands or staff, resturants, who knows?)

> ..and of course still do digital tours cause it PAYS and people don''t expect me & Mon (grown men) to work for free, like all the studio requests. I''m 42 and have wants/needs/bills/responsibilities.

So there it is, spread the word, I quit.

I don''t make beats, I don''t do vocals, I don''t write vocals, NONE OF IT.

Those of you who are friends, will be happy for me. Happy that I shook something that was making me miserable.

Those of you who had plans to "use" or manipulate me at the expense of my own health & happiness, will be upset about this. All I can say to those would be, you''re free to do whatever you wish, and so am I.

I choose to QUIT.

there it is.

Thanx everybody, spread the word

shock

Yeap it was widely known that Shock did use drugs but not no Meth shit is insane

Yeah the meth is just a rumour so I hope that isn't the case.

The following users thanked this post:

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2021, 04:47:26 PM »
highly doubt it was meth

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2021, 09:54:22 PM »
Ill ask him that thanks for the reminder X & Black Rob did take the vaccine & look at em now

yeah that's the word... good looks
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 04:55:02 AM »
I can't find the exact interview since it was so long ago but I did find an article from 2005 about his retirement with his retirement statement that also mentions it:

Thanks. Man he sounded depressed. Money B sounds like a bitter ass hater when you see him but Shock always seemed on the up, guess that was just a front as that interview showed a totally different side.

Tin foil side, 3 famous black rappers all happen to die right around each other, not in the midst of a "pandemic" but after when the shots were flying and no one thinks its suspicious?

The media really did a number on you clowns and no I'm not an antivaxxer I just know this whole thing stinks.

Sccit

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
Thanks. Man he sounded depressed. Money B sounds like a bitter ass hater when you see him but Shock always seemed on the up, guess that was just a front as that interview showed a totally different side.

Tin foil side, 3 famous black rappers all happen to die right around each other, not in the midst of a "pandemic" but after when the shots were flying and no one thinks its suspicious?

The media really did a number on you clowns and no I'm not an antivaxxer I just know this whole thing stinks.

has it even been confirmed that he took that vaccine?

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2021, 08:37:57 AM »
No official word. Look at D, on one hand you've got hospitals writing people who died of being hit by a bus off as covid related because they had a test and on the other you've got them saying the link isn't confirmed in his case.

Suspicious stuff but only the big dogs see it - the rest of you sheeple believe it as the "good shepherd" fleeces and slaughters.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
Before this thread takes a runaway train into conspiracy theory world... It sucks that Shock G is gone. Humpty Dance was the jam. That beat and base line were ridiculous. I always wished Ice Cube let that beat ride a little longer on Jackin' For Beats and gave it a full verse.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:31:35 PM by Safe+Sound »

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc

BJV

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »

BJV

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 07:53:16 PM »
Digital Underground Founder Shock G. Laid To Rest, DJ Premier, Big Daddy Kane And Other Notables Pay Respect

Shock G was laid to rest today in Tampa, Florida and a number of well-known rappers were on hand to pay their final respects.

Digital Underground founder Shock G. was lead to rest today (May 1st), in his hometown of Tampa, Florida.

Funeral services for the late rapper/musician were held at the Allen Temple A.M.E. Church.

A variety of hymns, along with secular music were sung throughout the service by the Tampa Mass Choir, who belted out a tear-jerking rendition of Stevie Wonder’s timeless song “As (I’ll Be Loving You Always).”

Notables like Public Enemy’s Chuck D., Yo Yo, The Luniz, DJ Premier, Big Daddy Kane, Sway, Rob Base, MC Serch, Busta Rhymes, Jermaine Dupri, Cee Lo Green, and of course, Digital Underground founders Chopmaster J and Money B were in attendance or streamed into the funeral service to pay their final respect to Shock G.

“What I’m going to miss the most about Shock.G. was talking to him. He was the type of person, he gave me his full attention when he talked to you. He always looked at you directly in the eyes and would get really close to you. He was very animated, he was very passionate. He’d put his arms around me and we’d have deep conversations. He made me feel seen and loved.” – YoYo.

Big Daddy Kane recalled touring with Digital Underground during his Chocolate City Tour, and the fun he had being on the road with the group who created hits like “The Humpty Dance,” “Dowhatchalike,” “Kiss You Back” and the classic, “Same Song,” which introduced the world to Tupac Shakur.

“[They would] come around with their water guns, shooting us with super soakers and whatnot…and then on any given night you’d come downstairs around 1:00, 2:00 a.m. seeing Shock G. just sitting there at the piano in the lobby, getting it on just playing and whatnot. Man, it was beautiful times and I’m glad that I was able to have time to spend with you brother, rest well.”- Big Daddy Kane

DJ Premier offered up some words and revealed Shock G. had been consistently been sending him music as recently January 29th of 2021.

“I need to say how great you are and how great you’ve made things for just our souls to be touched, from Digital Underground to just playing the two characters of Humpty Hump and just being Shock G. You’ve always been deep. I feel like I’m a deep person so I could totally relate…we’re gonna miss you but we’re gonna hold it down for you. We’ll see when we get there all right Shock G?” – DJ Premier

The funeral for Shock G. comes a week after he was found dead in a Tampa, Florida hotel room. Employees found Shock unresponsive after he failed to check out.

According to the police, Shock was battling with substance abuse in the months before his passing.

In February, two Tampa cops encountered him after a complaint regarding a domestic disturbance at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk hotel. The police found the 57-year-old outside of a popular watering hole a few streets away and arrested him. Afterwards, they put him in protective custody.

The “Humpty Hump” rapper, whose real name is Greg Jacobs, strange behavior was connected to him drinking and ingesting his substance of choice: methamphetamine.

One police officer said, “I believed that without treatment, Gregory would get himself hurt. He was unable to determine for himself if medical treatment was necessary.”

They decided to detain Shock G. under the Marchman Act that allows police to take a person to a hospital to be evaluated for their own safety for substance abuse.

A few weeks later, according to a Hillsborough County Medical Examiner, Shock G. was found dead at the Vista Inn and Suites on E Bearss Avenue in Tampa.

His cause of death will not be released until a formal autopsy report and toxicology results are in.

Shock G’s life is not unlike so many gifted artists that are so filled with genius that their only escape or sanctuary is to indulge in narcotics.  Regardless of how he passed, Shock G. will always be a titan in Hip-Hop culture.

“People talk about him as a great musician, a great artist or whatever, but he was 10 times the human. He wanted everyone around him to be comfortable and happy, in spite of what made him happy,” Money B. said.

Sccit

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 09:05:41 PM »
so it looks like the meth rumor might be true .. pretty shocking

BJV

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2021, 09:18:12 PM »
so it looks like the meth rumor might be true .. pretty shocking

His ex from the early 90s posted a video on youtube of him apologizing to her for something that went down in the early 2000s. Now I don't think she was right for posting this on youtube because it was a personal message but it does kind of insinuate that he took his own life. On his mirror it says something like "please don't leave I need you" maybe a message he wrote to himself to keep going?

Shock G always seemed so chill and down to earth but it seems he had a lot of demons and was struggling all this time.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Allgold

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
I agree unfortunately.

After watching that video it seems pretty clear that he either killed himself shortly after this obvious goodbye to this person or he OD'ed knowing that the inevitable end to that was coming and would not be here much longer. Drinking out of the vodka bottle and that "Please don't leave.....needs you...." message someone wrote on the mirror at the end there is pretty telling.

This doesn't seem like some conspiracy with a vaccine. Black Rob was in bad health for a long time with the kidney failure and strokes too. I'm sure the vaccine didn't help.  DMX's current wife or girlfriend did initially say he got sick and never recovered from getting the shot that night and then I don't know what happened there. There was a big attack by the media to shoot that story down immediately. So probably something there. Like how they attacked the story of Hank Aaron dying from the shot. I do think there has been catastrophic damage and death 100% attributable to the vaccine and there is more complications coming in the next few years. The media won't report on the deaths from the shot the same way they will never even attempt an accurate accounting of how many have actually died from Covid because those numbers were and are so inflated on purpose.

moneymack408

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2021, 10:23:06 PM »
Rip King! F’d up year!

Sccit

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »

Shock G died in a Tampa hotel room from a deadly mix of drugs and alcohol ... according to the Hillsborough County Medical Examiner.

A rep for the medical examiner's office tells TMZ ... the Digital Underground rapper died from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, ethanol (alcohol) and methamphetamine.

We broke the story ... Shock G was found unresponsive in his hotel room in April, and there were no outward signs of trauma. Shock was last seen the day before he died, by a hotel manager ... who then found him in the room on April 22.

The manager had grown concerned after Shock -- famed performer of the 'Humpty Dance' -- missed check-out time, and immediately called 911.

The Hillsborough County ME says Shock G was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:20 PM ET.

As we first told you ... the iconic rapper's funeral was held May 1, and his Digital Underground family was well represented at the service.