Author Topic: Why Do People Hate Dr. Dre's Compton "Album" So Much?  (Read 940 times)

Hellquist

Why Do People Hate Dr. Dre's Compton "Album" So Much?
« on: August 29, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
This music has aged extremely well. I hear it every few months and keeps getting better. Is it better than the Chronic and 2001? No and it wasn't supposed to be. I don't consider Compton an album per se. I consider it music inspired by Straight Outta Compton as a soundtrack to the movie. Even if it's counted as an album in Dre's discography, it's still better than the majority of music lots of artists released before, during and after it.

We're entitled to our opinions, but I never understood this. It wasn't supposed to compete with anything. It's just music made because Dre got inspired by part of his career being on the big screen and decided to make something.

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Why Do People Hate Dr. Dre's Compton "Album" So Much?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 12:03:09 PM »
It was a classic and flawless album up to his gold standard. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM, Sccit

Tony Trey

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 12:20:32 PM »
This music has aged extremely well. I hear it every few months and keeps getting better. Is it better than the Chronic and 2001? No and it wasn't supposed to be. I don't consider Compton an album per se. I consider it music inspired by Straight Outta Compton as a soundtrack to the movie. Even if it's counted as an album in Dre's discography, it's still better than the majority of music lots of artists released before, during and after it.

We're entitled to our opinions, but I never understood this. It wasn't supposed to compete with anything. It's just music made because Dre got inspired by part of his career being on the big screen and decided to make something.

I found the whole album extremely boring.  It just sounded like Dre following rap trends instead of making his own.

doggfather

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 12:45:46 PM »
couse everybody wait for a 2001 2.0...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

abusive

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »

u answered your own question.  :dirty: stop acting brand new.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

h2k4

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »

Because it's not a great album. This question is discussed ad nauseam. It lacks cohesion. He had terrible ghost writers and features that were taking him in a direction that wasn't 'authentic' to Dre.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 02:50:52 PM »
people expected a totally different sound from dre and were thrown off by his unorthodox voice inflections and experimental production style with the intense layering and beat switch ups. in turn, they didn’t really give it a chance beyond what they heard on the surface.

if you are a fan of perfected musical composition and sonic mastery, then you know this album is top tier.

it’s an unheralded classic .. nothin more nothin less.

The following users thanked this post: JeremyM, Orbyte

BJV

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »
I'm a big Dre fan. 2001 actually inspired me to make beats myself. I only listened to Compton once. Maybe I'll give it another chance this week because of this topic.

So Much Style

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 08:18:13 PM »
personally, i thought it was pretty average at best. kurupt in a latest interview compared it to the aftermath album and gave the impression that its like a tide pulling back before a huge game changer ALA 2021
So much style back at it again

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
people expected a totally different sound from dre and were thrown off by his unorthodox voice inflections and experimental production style with the intense layering and beat switch ups. in turn, they didn’t really give it a chance beyond what they heard on the surface.

if you are a fan of perfected musical composition and sonic mastery, then you know this album is top tier.

it’s an unheralded classic .. nothin more nothin less.

this
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 09:58:11 PM »
Because it's not a great album. This question is discussed ad nauseam. It lacks cohesion. He had terrible ghost writers and features that were taking him in a direction that wasn't 'authentic' to Dre.

listen to the lyrics in "All On Me" it's very poignant considering it goes with the NWA movie, and you listen to the lyrics all the reflection going way back to the NWA days to Suge "and that that night came in when that nicca Knight came in"... same thing with "Talkin to My Diary" there's a lot of great reflection there on events depicted in the movie, I think the song even plays beginning and end of the film

And how he mixed in Eazy's voice and totally switched up the track with "Eazy E CPT OG FROM THE OTHER SIDE" that shit is bananas, don't know how you can't like it.. even redid Eazy's "4 the Love of Money" (though I wish he'd put a Bone member on that joint for a 16)

Thought the lyrics and themes were all cohesive and went great with the film... you even got the Game track hook with "Another Day In Compton" sounded and looked great in the movie and on record

...I don't know what's wrong with you people this album blows you away from the first track, "I JUST BOUGHT CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!"

-Quikness-

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 03:11:08 AM »
I just think since The Chronic and then 2001 were regarded globally as such high level albums, Compton needed to be up to par with them and the fact is it just wasn't. I actually just ordered the physical of Compton yesterday,its still a solid 4 mic album imo. Talking To My Diary is what we all want more of  :feedme:

Okka

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 03:32:41 AM »
'Cause it didn't change the game like "The Chronic" and "2001" did.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue, Orbyte, mtbsm

HighEyeCue

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 04:39:44 AM »

exactly...although lack of promotion for the album didn't help

The following users thanked this post: Orbyte

jman91331

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
That doesn't mean it was weak like the people say. I love the album and can agree that Compton isn't on the level of Chronic or 2001 but I still enjoy listening to Compton,  the other 2 doesn't take from that album