Author Topic: Dre’s dislike for Hammer an under-reported reason for Dre leaving Death Row  (Read 925 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
This doesn’t get mentioned enuff but check it.  NWA was just barely a couple years before I became a head... I became a head when tha Chronic dropped but NWA used to diss Hammer—they were in opposition artistically.. I don’t know all the instances cause I wasn’t a head then but I can mention the Formula video by DOC a clear diss to hammer

—Dre and Eazy got a Hammer phony in the booth clownin before they bring in DOC to show what the real is..

—Suge was supposed to handle the business end and Dre the creative control.  Suge signed Hammer and promised Hammer Dre production on an album and tried to get Dre to do it and Dre was like fucc no

—Dre didn’t like Suge signing and bring untalented rappers round the studio and label.  I don’t think he liked OFTB other cause in the Source 96 feature he mentions he stopped liking going to the studio cause it would be like a bunch of niccaz like “yo I just signed to the label” and Dre would be like “who the fucc is you”

I love Suge but he got arrogant once he got Pac and though he didn’t need Dre.  You had the greatest creative genius overseeing your creative control of the label...why would you do anything to jepordize that?  Dre supported Pac signing cause pac had superstar talent... but Suge should’ve stayed out of the music side. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

interesting take

i don’t think it was hammer in particular .. but to summarize what u sayin, dre felt his grip on the label and decision making was getting weaker, which is understandable considering suge having creative control over dre wasn’t a recipe for success

seems like suge was feelin himself after gettin pac n started gassin himself up to think he was a genius musical scout when pac’s signing was more the luck of the draw

disaster in music always strikes when cats start givin themselves too much credit and stop appreciating their bread n butter

Okka

interesting take

i don’t think it was hammer in particular .. but to summarize what u sayin, dre felt his grip on the label and decision making was getting weaker, which is understandable considering suge having creative control over dre wasn’t a recipe for success

seems like suge was feelin himself after gettin pac n started gassin himself up to think he was a genius musical scout when pac’s signing was more the luck of the draw

disaster in music always strikes when cats start givin themselves too much credit and stop appreciating their bread n butter

Exactly. Suge has no idea what producing a record means or anything like that. I've seen people who worked at Death Row say that.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

this joint from that unreleased Hammer album was tight...except for Hammers verses :D

BJV

I remember hearing clips of the NWA hotline from the Niggaz4Life album era and they dissed MC Hammer on there.

I think Dre was just unhappy with everything going on at Deathrow. There mustve been a bad vibe at the studio and Suge started making power moves on him so he bailed.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
this joint from that unreleased Hammer album was tight...except for Hammers verses :D

Yeah if you really wanna know how wack Hammer was on the mic just compare Pac's reference vocals for "Unconditional Love" that was on his Greatest Hits album vs. the wackass Hammer version of "Unconditional Love". Pac tried to hook him up with a great song just on the strength of their Bay Area Connection—and Hammer destroyed it.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

Yeah if you really wanna know how wack Hammer was on the mic just compare Pac's reference vocals for "Unconditional Love" that was on his Greatest Hits album vs. the wackass Hammer version of "Unconditional Love". Pac tried to hook him up with a great song just on the strength of their Bay Area Connection—and Hammer destroyed it.

oh yeah no doubt...Hammer seemed like a good dude but he was a terrible MC

Hammer became a much worse MC on DR. His flow, lyrics, concepts everything devolved horribly. Sure he was a commercial rapper but his earlier releases made you dance your ass off, the beats were tight and lyrics inspiring with a good flow.

None of that on DR as he switched it up too much and lost what was real about him. Unconditional Love and Too Tight are perfect examples of that. Pac gave him classics and he re spat them like Suge was choking him out in the booth as he was trying to lay the record.

BIGWORM

Dr. Dre was fed up with the ganger shit that was going on there. We all know he's not cut from that cloth. The reason he left was Suge fucking Michellaye(however you spelll that lol)

Dee Tha AK

Those two weren't that bad

Didnt Pac punch Hammer in the stomach on one of early pre dr tours & didnt Pac diss him in Davey D Intervire pre DR?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 02:47:10 AM by VytalStar »

MotaDogg

• Lil Geezy
Shortsighted. MC Hammer had much more of the work ethic that Dr. Dre wanted to work with than either Snoop or Pac

MC Hammer works

dnjp4life

Shortsighted. MC Hammer had much more of the work ethic that Dr. Dre wanted to work with than either Snoop or Pac

MC Hammer works

You can’t fault 2Pac’s work rate when he signed to Death Row Records, but I don’t think that’s your point.

Anyway, I quite like Hammer’s version of Too Tight, but that’s mainly because he’s imitating 2Pac in his delivery. It would have made a good 2Pac track for one of his albums.

HighEyeCue

MC Hammer works

Pac had many faults but work ethic was never one of them

Sccit

Pac had many faults but work ethic was never one of them

but he didn’t like to be told what to do, retakes, coaching on his cadences etc. he was the type that would knock out numerous tracks in 1 session. opposite of dre, who was more meticulous and would spend a gang of time perfecting just 1 track.

pac’s method was in direct conflict with how dre worked.

The following users thanked this post: Okka, HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

but he didn’t like to be told what to do, retakes, coaching on his cadences etc. he was the type that would knock out numerous tracks in 1 session. opposite of dre, who was more meticulous and would spend a gang of time perfecting just 1 track.

pac’s method was in direct conflict with how dre worked.

this I agree...I guess this was what @MotaDogg meant in the original post