Author Topic: Ice Cube - Lethal Injection Source review  (Read 1390 times)

tnp

Ice Cube - Lethal Injection Source review
« on: May 18, 2003, 07:18:39 PM »
Lethal Injection
3 1/2 mics

Before Dre and Snoop became household names on both coasts, Ice Cube had already started tearing down the wall seperating the East and West Coasts of the hip-hop nation. As a boundary-less lyrical master with movie joints to boot, Cube was quite the man. Now with his fourth solo effort in less than four years, Ice Cube is still big-time but this shot in the arm is considerably less potent than his original nigga-you-loved-to-hate material.
My first impression of the album was one of unimpressed ambivalence. After the so-so Predator album, I was open for a big comeback. I wanted more of the ill gangster-isms of "Once Upon a Time in the Projects" or "Steady Mobbin'," and les sof "Wicked"'s trendy mark-isms. This album is somewhere in between the two and it grows on you.
Production-wise, the album displays both the G-Funk trend and the Oakland sound. The results of QDIII, Jinx, Laylaw and lesser knowns Brian G, Madness 4 Real and 88X Unit are bumpin' but Cube seems to be searching for that tight fit he used to have. A perfect example of that paradox is "Down 4 Whatever," produced by Madness 4 Real. This is creepin' music straight up and down. You got the evil synth whine up top with sonic bass tremors down low, plus ultra-slow, molasses-flow lyrics like "Here comes the big headed nigga that's dippin'/Sippin on Courvosier/God-damn, I must have the floss today/Now pimpin ain't easy but it's necessary/So I'm chasin' bitches like Tom chases Jerry." Dope as hell except for the fact that it sounds nothing like Cube. More like Too Short, with a li'l pinch of Snoop. Change and development is Kool and the Gang but you miss Cube's ill humor, manipulating verbals into narratives. His flow is more disjointed now, forming clever phrases rather than paragraphs.
Aside from the criticisms, Cube scores on tracks like "Really Doe," "You Know How We Do It" and "Lil Ass Gee." The bass-heavy beats are on point as Cube expounds on the hoo-bang lifestyle. And there's some anti-white, anti-Christian preaching as well. A message to white women, "Cave Bitch" is as musically dope but also as lyrically vicious as Death Certificate's "Horny Lil Devil," with disconcerting rhymes like, "I'm true to the game/Y'all all look the same/Standin by my backstage door, hopin I will switch/Spread out ya little cave bitch!" For the most part though, the other cuts sound regular; nothing pure bunk, but no classic material either. If you're a true Ice Cube fan and you have all of his previous work, by all means get Lethal Injection for the good shit. But for all y'all others, if you don't already own Amerikkka's Most Wanted and/or Death Certificate, take care of your business. Don't buy the rims 'til you've got the '64.

review by Shortie.

Dr._Funkenstein

Re:Ice Cube - Lethal Injection Source review
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 09:28:34 AM »
I kinda agree with this one. It's a new Cube with a few radio friendly songs like "You Know How We Do It" or "Bop Gun (One Nation) but he still keeps it hardcore with tracks like "Lil Ass Gee" or "Down For Whatever".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 09:30:24 AM by Doctor Funkenstein »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 01:53:39 PM »
Lethal Injection = 4.5 Mics
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 07:45:41 PM »
I actually agree with this rating.  I liked the first half of the CD, but I didn't think the production fit Cube's style at all.   If the remixes that were on Bootlegs & B-Sides were the same ones that appeared on Lethal Injection, it defo woulda been a tighter CD.  The remixes on Bootlegs & B-Sides fit his style.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 02:45:10 PM »
Yeh I think I agree with the review but it shoulda got 4 mics.

shlomid1

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • g-funk 4 ever!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 12:59:49 AM »
this is such a tight album with songs like when i get to heaven, what can i do, realy doe, bop gun, you know how we do it, ghetto bird.
westside!!!!

MIC44

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Ice Cube - Lethal Injection Source review
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »
Very good album, my favorite song is You KNow How We Do It.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
GHetto bird!!! You know how we do it!! BOp Gun!!! so many classics!!

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 07:13:44 PM »
Lethal Injection
3 1/2 mics

::)

After the so-so Predator album,

no classic material either

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
Death Certificate and Lethal Injection = my two favorite Cube albums cause the production is so West Coast.

Blood$

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:54 PM »
Death Certificate and Lethal Injection = my two favorite Cube albums cause the production is so West Coast.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
Who cares. The Source isnt credible
funkyfreshintheflesh

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
when really doe first dropped everybody was on that shit out here yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

bussy_mama

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »
GUYS ITS HAPPENING LIVE IN OUR COUNTRY. THE 1ST ONLINE ROMANCE FORUM www.synamix.net CHECK OUT SYNAMIX FORUM TO DISCUSS LOVE, ROMANCE, RELATIONSHIP, SEX, HEALTH, MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE ISSUES AND ANY MORE DISCUSSIONS ON www.synamix.net . JOIN US TODAY.

felipebtu

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
source is a joke