Author Topic: MC Ren - Da Villain in Black (Source review)  (Read 847 times)

tnp

MC Ren - Da Villain in Black (Source review)
« on: May 19, 2003, 10:48:29 AM »
MC Ren - Da Villain in Black
May 1996 issue
3 mics

Niggas Without Attitudes is an apt summary of the gangsta rap artists to appear in the last four years. Gangsta rap has gone far astray from its 1989 stance. Nowadays, its MCs are too apathetic and emotionless. Indeed, it's damned difficult to find any album that effectively fuses liquor store politics, revolutionary anthems and originality like N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton, Above the Law's Livin Like Hustlers, Geto Boys' Grip It On That Other Level, CMW's It's a Compton Thang or Spice 1's East Bay Gangster. The anger, energy and focus of the music and MC no longer exist. Tired of how far shit has gotten out of control, MC Ren is back to teach niggas about attitude with his new album, Da Villain in Black.

Always the consummate MC, Ren brings back the hardcore lyrics, swagger and karma by battling the monster he helped create on the single "Mad Scientist": "Yes Ren has heard enough, cuz nowadays niggaz don't come with funky stuff that I used to hear in 83 and 84 when shit had to be hardcore/Criminal minded you've been blinded/I'm lookin for some shit like that but cant' find it/6 in the morning police at my door/Niggas don't make that kinda shit no more."

Other cuts like "I Don't Give a Damn," "The Great Elephant" and "Bring It On," featuring Above the Law, all resonate a hardcore attitude reminiscent of the N.W.A. era. But the album has one major flaw. Ren's greatest asset has been his delivery over fast paced, break beat production. Songs like "If It Ain't Ruff," "100 Miles and Running" or his verses on "The Grand Finale" and "The Last Song" showed Ren at his best, crushing MCs, cops and suckas. Though Da Villain in Black is solid musically and lyrically, the beats make it feel like Ren is pulling punches instead of hitting with full force.

review by Allen S. Gordon "Tha Ebony Cat"

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Re:MC Ren - Da Villain in Black (Source review)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 11:13:25 AM »
Ren's greatest asset has been his delivery over fast paced, break beat production. Songs like "If It Ain't Ruff," "100 Miles and Running" or his verses on "The Grand Finale" and "The Last Song" showed Ren at his best, crushing MCs, cops and suckas. Though Da Villain in Black is solid musically and lyrically, the beats make it feel like Ren is pulling punches instead of hitting with full force.

I think he sounded good on the slower production.

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 11:30:31 AM »
Ren's greatest asset has been his delivery over fast paced, break beat production. Songs like "If It Ain't Ruff," "100 Miles and Running" or his verses on "The Grand Finale" and "The Last Song" showed Ren at his best, crushing MCs, cops and suckas. Though Da Villain in Black is solid musically and lyrically, the beats make it feel like Ren is pulling punches instead of hitting with full force.

Siberian Wolf

• Lil Geezy
  • ODB is back on track!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 03:11:54 AM »
LOLz

"Where I come from, Source dont give you mo' than 3 mics"
Looks like Ren comes from the same place Kam & Solo do  :D

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 12:55:46 PM »
ya this CDs a tite ass cd but id give it prolly a 3 1/2

Immortal

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 02:50:32 PM »

"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA