Author Topic: Russian prisoners sing for freedom  (Read 113 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Russian prisoners sing for freedom
« on: May 20, 2003, 10:43:31 AM »
Russia's prisoners sing for freedom

Prisoners from all over Russia have sent in demo tapes
Russian prison officials have promised the ultimate prize - freedom - to the winner of a contest to find the country's best singing prisoner.
Later this year, 20 jailhouse rockers will battle it out on stage for the title "Pop prisoner of the year".

Top pop stars will be on the jury and the winner's song will be released on cassette and video.

Of the 50 contestants selected so far for the qualifying rounds, one has been convicted of murder - a 27-year-old former singer at the Kazan conservatoire, Ruslan Anufriev.

Officials say he is being allowed to compete because he committed his crime in self-defence, and that serious criminals will usually be barred from taking part.

Emotion

All contestants in what the BBC's Steve Rosenberg describes as "Eurovision with handcuffs" will be accompanied on stage by a prison guard, just in case they decide to make a run for it.

Demonstration tapes on audio- and video-cassettes have already been flooding into the Justice Ministry from all over the country.

A prison official told the Moscow Times that competition organisers wanted songs that "open up the heart".

He said songs about prison life and the country's criminal subculture would be banned.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 11:39:39 AM by Capo Di Tutti Capi »

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re:Russian prisoners sing for freedom
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 12:19:36 PM »
lmfao
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

mauzip

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 04:01:18 PM »
hehe. maybe they even got a talent :D

but seriously, this is rediculous. those people aren't there for nothing. keep em in jail!

Immortal

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 02:00:52 PM »
lol
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA