Author Topic: WC & the Maad Circle-Curb Servin (Requested Source review)  (Read 901 times)

tnp

WC & The Maad Circle - Curb Servin
October 1995 issue
London/Payday Records
Production: DJ Crazy Toones, Ice Cube
3 1/2 mics

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. This is the rule among dope hip-hop artists who have been overlooked, underappreciated and downright ignored by hip-hop consumers. On top of the list is one of USC's (University of South Central) tightest MCs, WC. As a member of both Low Profile and MAAD Circle, WC was a victim of bad promotion and fan neglect. Now with a new label and more creative control, the MAAD Circle hits the streets with Curb Servin, which is "strictly for the hoo-riders" but can be appreciated by all hip-hoppers.
The first single, "West Up!," features Ice Cube and Mack 10 returning a few disses in retaliation to the East. Cube's verse is the most prolific: "Now I have to show you how the West Coast rock, no razor blades in my mouth just a Glock/and now I'm hittin you up with the WS--the sun rises in the East but sets in the West..."
WC claims he's "still as strong as malt liquor" on "The One" 1995's version of Cool J's "I'm Bad." DJs will flip over the mixing and scratching performance (which has sadly become extinct on most hip-hop albums today) of Crazy Toones' "A Crazy Break Part 2." "On the Set" may sound like gang shit, but WC is giving up the real about the oldest method of interactive television before the computer. For all true WC & MAAD Circle fans, Granny is back and still talkin' shit.
"Wet Dream" is the album's best cut and the ultimate nocturnal emission. No dreaming about an island full of naked women--this one's about Black people organizing and taking over their communities and the country. Other dope tracks include "Curb Servin," "Kill a Habit," "The Creator" and "In a Twist," featuring Coolio. WC's three year layoff shows major improvement for an MC who was already tight. Lyrics, styles and flow all come off. The beats mostly remain old shool USC a la Toddy T and Mix Master Spade, which should be greatly appreciated by older heads, whild WC's game will attract the younsters a la Wu-Tang Clan.

review by Allen S. Gordon "The Ebony Cat"

Dr._Funkenstein

Re:WC & the Maad Circle-Curb Servin (Requested Source review)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 11:42:42 PM »
Wow, pretty cool review. I'd give the album a higher score but all in all it's one of the best Source related reviews I've read so far. 3.5 mics ain't that bad!

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 12:59:59 PM »
ya this CDs a good CD WC comes tite as hell (like always) on it.... id agree ith the ratin i think but i havnt listened 2 this cd 4 a while... im bout 2 pop it in now

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 08:11:03 AM »
Wow, pretty cool review. I'd give the album a higher score but all in all it's one of the best Source related reviews I've read so far. 3.5 mics ain't that bad!

True.

MIC44

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: WC & the Maad Circle-Curb Servin (Requested Source review)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
One of best westcoast album for me, I love all tracks. My favorite songs are The One and West Up.

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 01:34:02 AM »
SMH @ The Sourse giving this Album 3 1/2 mics..........This is a fucking classic, 5 Mics  8)

MIC44

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 04:05:49 AM »
SMH @ The Sourse giving this Album 3 1/2 mics..........This is a fucking classic, 5 Mics  8)
Pfff, fuck The Source !