Author Topic: Doggystyle  (Read 212 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Doggystyle
« on: May 27, 2003, 12:18:20 PM »
I hear that Dre had to rush this album because of the incredible hype that surrounded Snoop before this came out...and I hear critics say it was a dope album but coulda been better if they had spent more time on it....
Do any of y'all think think album coulda been any better than it was? I really can't imagine that, unless the "coo" and "good" songs were replaced by more "perfect" songs such as Gin and Juice, What's my name, Murder was the case, Doggy Dogg World, and Ain't no fun..and at that I have never heard one album with this many perfect tracks.
Also, what album do u prefer listenin to..Doggystyle or Chronic? I kno it's an old debate but I prefer Doggystyle better just because I'm a child of the G-Funk Era, and even tho Chronic introduced G-Funk, Doggystyle expanded on it.

Megaveli

• 'G'
Re:Doggystyle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 12:27:31 PM »
i like chronic better,but i read that dre recorded the second half of the doggystyle album in less then 2 days?

tnp

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:47:08 PM »
Thing is, there was so much anticipation for this album, that everyone already had an idea of what THEY wanted the album to be. I personally wanted an album full of songs like Lil Ghetto Boy and Deep Cover. I even had an idea of what I wanted the cover to look like. And the album couldn't be everything to everyone. So it didn't live up to my expectations because they were unfair for it. That said, I thought it could have been better. One song with Dre would have been nice, and have it be more of a solo album. With less skits.

Oh, and I like The Chronic over Doggystyle, as it still had parts of the production from Efil4zaggin, which is my favorite Dre production. Also a rawer Snoop and I had no expectation of it (I didn't even know about it until that Source where Dre had the gun pointed at his head).

peace,
tnp

asdasda

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 01:07:42 PM »
I hear that Dre had to rush this album because of the incredible hype that surrounded Snoop before this came out...and I hear critics say it was a dope album but coulda been better if they had spent more time on it....
Do any of y'all think think album coulda been any better than it was? I really can't imagine that, unless the "coo" and "good" songs were replaced by more "perfect" songs such as Gin and Juice, What's my name, Murder was the case, Doggy Dogg World, and Ain't no fun..and at that I have never heard one album with this many perfect tracks.
Also, what album do u prefer listenin to..Doggystyle or Chronic? I kno it's an old debate but I prefer Doggystyle better just because I'm a child of the G-Funk Era, and even tho Chronic introduced G-Funk, Doggystyle expanded on it.
If only Suge remembered this thing..
I'm talking about Crooked I..
He had to do it Doggystyle! LOL.

Efrain

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 01:30:17 PM »
In Ronnin Ro's book it said Doggystyle took almost a year to finish and at times snoop got frustrated thinking it was never gonna get done so dre had to constantly reassure him and get him refocused. Eventually under the pressure of the hype and snoop and co loosing faith Dre put out what they had but unsatisfied with it. Dre also said he wanted Doggystyle to be a classic, like the quintessential rap classic album and I don’t think the finish product is what he had in mind.    

McKinley lee's book also said it took a while, with them recording tons of songs and takes only to not use them or throw them out.  

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 01:54:02 PM »
In Ronnin Ro's book it said Doggystyle took almost a year to finish and at times snoop got frustrated thinking it was never gonna get done so dre had to constantly reassure him and get him refocused. Eventually under the pressure of the hype and snoop and co loosing faith Dre put out what they had but unsatisfied with it. Dre also said he wanted Doggystyle to be a classic, like the quintessential rap classic album and I don?t think the finish product is what he had in mind.    

McKinley lee's book also said it took a while, with them recording tons of songs and takes only to not use them or throw them out.  

man i dont even want to think about what we could have gotten if it wasnt rushed...cause i can say that shit is just about as perfect as an album gets now if you can get it more perfect than that  :o

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 02:54:32 PM »
tnp, me and u have foil views on the chronic...the reason i didn't like the chronic quite as much is because i loved g-funk, but i could never get into his nwa-style production as much, so other than the commercial released tracks and maybe 2 other tracks, i wasn't feelin some of those style of beats.

damn....it's bad because dre has 2 spend too much time to make classic albums...i donno how long quik takes, but i kno that quik has made six albums within 11 years compared to the 3 dre will have within 12 years.

platinumk777

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 07:45:48 PM »
man i dont even want to think about what we could have gotten if it wasnt rushed...cause i can say that shit is just about as perfect as an album gets now if you can get it more perfect than that  :o

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 10:04:13 PM »
Thing is, there was so much anticipation for this album, that everyone already had an idea of what THEY wanted the album to be. I personally wanted an album full of songs like Lil Ghetto Boy and Deep Cover. I even had an idea of what I wanted the cover to look like. And the album couldn't be everything to everyone. So it didn't live up to my expectations because they were unfair for it. That said, I thought it could have been better. One song with Dre would have been nice, and have it be more of a solo album. With less skits.

Oh, and I like The Chronic over Doggystyle, as it still had parts of the production from Efil4zaggin, which is my favorite Dre production. Also a rawer Snoop and I had no expectation of it (I didn't even know about it until that Source where Dre had the gun pointed at his head).

peace,
tnp

Damn, me and tnp is defo on the same page on this one.  I would've liked to hear songs like "Lil ghetto boy" and "Nigga wit a gun"---more gangsta ish.    But yeah, I would rather listen to The Chronic anytime over Doggystyle for the same reason tnp said.....(production similar to Niggaz4life).