Author Topic: RBX - RBX Filez (Requested Source review)  (Read 1460 times)

tnp

RBX - RBX Filez (Requested Source review)
« on: May 23, 2003, 04:25:22 PM »
RBX - RBX Filez
Production: artist
3 1/2 mics

For all of those who thought the only sound coming out of Southern Cal was head bobbin', gangsta, 64 Impala bouncin', roll up a spliff music, think again. RBX should shatter those stereotypes on the quick fast. Many should remember RBX "dropping bombs like Hiroshima" on Dr. Dre's classic album The Chronic. Now he's on the solo tip, trying to drop bombs on Dre and Death Row.

RBX Filez sounds nothing like the trademark G-Funk prevalent in the Long Beach area. RBX keeps his unorthodox style - which was different from those of his former Death Row inmates to begin with - and combines it with eerie, clashing rugged beats. On "A.W.O.L." he uses a funked up track that flat out bumps and lets his new-found nemesis have it: "Dr. Dre do you remember you was broke/and the rap industry thought you was a joke/me, D.O.C. and D.O.G. sat and made/lyrics to replenish your name like Gatorade." RBX gives a lyrical ass whippin' on this joint, one of the worst disses since "No Vaseline" and "Dre Day." But "A.W.O.L." gives little indication as to the rest of the album. On the cut "Rough Is The Texture," RBX flips some action/adventure type lyrics. "Tundra" uses a simple beat off the 808, light bass and synths, and adds a reggae artist kickin' ragamuffin styles on the chorus. "Moms Are Crying" is one of the doper tracks on the album. RBX kicks some of the tight shit that made him noticed on The Chronic album over a track dominated by a stand up bass and a basic, but tight drum pattern.
An unquestionably skilled lyricist and MC, RBX may be ahead of his time. Some won't be ready for the advanced flavas on this album. Not to say people won't feel him, but free your mind when you check out the album, and most of all, concentrate.

review by Wesley K. Marshall

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
Re:RBX - RBX Filez (Requested Source review)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 03:47:10 AM »
Thanks bro...never thought to check this one out,

but from the review it sounds interesting...worth a preview on irc at least then if its good buy it :)

Pz

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 10:36:58 AM »
I always thought this was a pretty good album.  I agree with the reviewer, he was ahead of his time on this one cause a lotta people slept on it.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 12:07:15 PM »
damn..i've never heard this album :-\ need to check it out

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 12:31:07 PM »
ya this album is a lil diferant its a DARK ass cd...... theres a few songs that r hella tite but weird/kinda evilish but ey its tite like songs like tracks 4 and 5

kywhiteboy

• 'G'
Re: RBX - RBX Filez (Requested Source review)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 08:06:32 PM »
I thought this album sucked!

Paul

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 07:09:13 PM »
quality slept on album
love the track "no time" really didnt see that 1 comin

nice review
funkyfreshintheflesh

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 05:41:15 AM »
good album!
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 06:20:47 AM »
I got it from the bargain bin in 97, hated it and traded it to my friend for Wu's Forever. Now that I'm old enough to finally understand the music a little better, I want to hear it again but I can't find it anywhere.

Paul

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 08:42:08 PM »
I got it from the bargain bin in 97, hated it and traded it to my friend for Wu's Forever. Now that I'm old enough to finally understand the music a little better, I want to hear it again but I can't find it anywhere.

yeah u probably shouldnt hav done that
funkyfreshintheflesh

hempside

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 04:25:55 AM »
One of my favorite lps.classic westcoast album...RBX at his best. 8)
heyheyhey smoke weed everyday.

The Sorrow aka Maurice

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
Best RBX album..

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 09:53:23 AM »
It's certainly his deepest. It also shows him in an aggressive fashion he doesn't usually display. A.W.O.L.,of course. But also tracks like 'Rough Is The Texture' with lyrics like '...Inglewood is hit in a smash..South Central gets burned like a hasj...' I like this music,but I do need to be in the mood for it.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Paul

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 05:11:17 PM »
I like this music,but I do need to be in the mood for it.
funkyfreshintheflesh

Diggfinger

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 12:57:07 PM »

I got mine at Amazon for a few bucks. Check there man...

Yeah this album is damn near a classic. Good review, but this album ist 4.1 !