Author Topic: Spice 1 - 187 He Wrote (Requested Source review)  (Read 650 times)

tnp

Spice 1 - 187 He Wrote (Requested Source review)
« on: May 25, 2003, 06:50:27 PM »
Spice 1 - 187 He Wrote
November 1993 issue
Jive Records
Production: Ant Banks, EA Ski & CMT, South Central Cartel
3 1/2 mics

Recipe for gangsta stew: two tablespoons of bitch-ass niggaz, one teaspoon of ho's and sluts, four kilos of coke, a cup of hollow points, and two cups of fools getting smoked. Ooops! I almost forgot the most important ingredient. Can't make gangsta stew without adding a little Spice.

Incredibly talented and skilled on the mic, Spice 1 follows his 1992 gold debut with an album that picks up right where he left off. Despite all of the controversy regarding his being a "studio gangsta" and what not, he once again successfully pulls you into the war zone of East Oakland. This time around Spice adds a women's touch to things as the gangstress known as Boss helps him rip shit up on "Don't Ring the Alarm"--a sort of a 1993 version of Eazy E's "Nobody Move" with a ghetto Bonnie & Clyde feel to it. The first single, "Dumpin' Niggaz In Ditches," freaks the beat to DJ Quik's "Only Fo' The Money" as Spice and his 187 Faculty dispose of the bodies of fools who claimed he wasn't real. It seems that murder is entertainment for some folks as Compton's MC Eiht travels north on Highway 5 to Oakland where he and Spice host a "Murder Show" of their own. The back-and-forth between the two should bring a smile to your face. The album's best cut, "187 He Wrote," has a phat piano riff, a laid-back gangsta beat and a chorus reminiscent of Mad Cobra's "Flex." "One-eight, one eighty-seven/187 is the murder he wrote," goes the butter-smooth hook. Other notable tracks include "Runnin' Out the Crackhouse," "380 On That Ass" and "R.I.P."

While the first five songs are straight-up bomb, portions of the album are a bit unsatisfying. Aside from the music, there aren't enough lyrical innovations to take it to the next level. The subject matter is there, the beats are phat, but it's the same Spice from last year. And everybody has caught up with the breakthroughs he made in '92 (you got to stay ahead of the competition, homie). But aside from that, he gives his core audience exactly what they are looking for.

Hip-hop fans who wish gangsta rap would go away should come to the realization that they're rubbing the wrong magic lamp, because as long as there are people like Spice 1 around to tell the stories, it won't be goin' away anytime soon.

review by Allen S. Gordon, 'Tha Ebony Cat'

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Re:Spice 1 - 187 He Wrote (Requested Source review)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 10:12:49 PM »
I never knew that Spice's first solo went gold---especially that fast!

tony_montana

• Lil Geezy
  • what it do??
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 06:14:09 AM »
hell i know 2 of his albums went gold in tx alone...

187 he wrote and amerikkkaz nightmare...

wish he could bring back mo funk like this,,, 8)

runs my motherfuckin mouth from 2k3 to 3k6..what that do???

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 10:35:02 AM »
wish he could bring back mo funk like this,,, 8)[/glow]