Author Topic: Free education  (Read 227 times)

ITW [the irish boy]

Free education
« on: May 27, 2003, 11:28:35 AM »
Here in ireland we have free education for first second and third level. This means that everyone can go to college and as a result we have a very skilled workforce. However last week the minister for education announced he wanted to withdraw it for people who are able to pay. This has caused absolute uproar. The governments popularity dropped 25percentage points in two days and the minister has had to do a complete u-turn and say he will instead put extra grants into disadvantaged areas. What do you think? Is it a fundamentl right for education? In Ireland, we cant imagine a situation where u have to pay for college, or healthcare. What is the situation in other countries?When the minister even mentioned reintroducing them he wasnearly shouted out of office, do you think he was right or wrong?

My belief : The very rich, earning over 80000 a year should be made to pay, since many low income families dont go to college and therefore shouldnt have to pay thru taxes for the rich to go. I welcome this u-turn where there remain no fees and the disadvantaged will get grants to go to college.

Your views....
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

Agua

Re:Free education
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 11:39:58 AM »
free education is a bless.

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:50:08 PM »
the education system is a bunch of bull shit in the U.S., boy it really pisses me off...you cant go to elite shools unless your parents(who have nothing to do with you) have tons of money...i went to a decent college(Penn St.) and am not almost 20g's in debt..and will be paying it for 10 fucking years...im done complaining about it... >:(

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 04:45:45 PM »
i think higher learning should be paid for, only the basics should be "free" (come from taxes) k-12 should no doubt be free but you should pay for college and if you can't afford it apply for financial aid and grants ect. and BOO FUCKING HOO if you can't go to harvard or yale fine things should be exclusive or they're not fine anymore, that's like bitching cuz you got to get a regular corvette instead of a z06 , and on top of that demanding to have it for free

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 07:18:09 AM »
well, what we have here is a points system, whereby your acceptance to universities and colleges is based on your academic ability, rather than ability to pay. While you can argue that its unfair against less intelligent people, it means the "finer" courses like brain surgery etc are only accessible if your are highly intelligent.
Someone above said its a blessing, and it is. While you might think the government is losing out from paying all those fees think of the long term benefits gained...20% of working class in college, 97% of middle and upper class in college. It attracts huge amounts of investment and jobs as a result and has seen our economy have a 5year boom period making us one of the richest in europe. It certainly beats having just a few rich kids leaving college without a debt.
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »
well the current education system in the U.S. keeps the rich rich and the poor poor  >:(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 07:50:18 AM by VerbalAssaulta »

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 08:45:12 PM »
i think higher learning should be paid for, only the basics should be "free" (come from taxes) k-12 should no doubt be free but you should pay for college and if you can't afford it apply for financial aid and grants ect. and BOO FUCKING HOO if you can't go to harvard or yale fine things should be exclusive or they're not fine anymore, that's like bitching cuz you got to get a regular corvette instead of a z06 , and on top of that demanding to have it for free

As VerbalAssaulta says -  that system makes sure the elites stay at the top - the rich kids get everything given to them (such as the current Pres - nowhere near intelligent enough to go to the schools he did but it's all about the money your parents have)

Reef

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Guess Whos Back?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 12:54:12 PM »
I agree. Your access to education should not be reliant on your ability to pay for the higher charging courses. I believe in free education throughout school and college life. I do also believe that University should be paid for, but not the frees which are charged here in britan. I was reading some sort of article and they say the average student who finishes a average 3 year course will be in a huge amout of debt.. I cant remember the exact figure,, i think it was over £5k.

Out of interest.... What level of education has everyone had? and/or what are they planning. I have jsut finished school and i am definatly going onto college, and most likley university.

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 12:58:17 PM »
Gareefa, i think the average student leaves University with a £10,000 debt for a 3 year course.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 01:14:38 PM »
just to go back to "keeping fine things fine"

in academic terms, would things not be finer if there was a higher level of intelligence rather than money???

I plan to go to Pulse Recording College to study sound engineering for a year. Then i plan to do a marketing course for 2 yrs so i can 1. get a job and 2. have a business background so i can start up myself or move into management.
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

Reef

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Guess Whos Back?
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 03:31:34 PM »
Gareefa, i think the average student leaves University with a £10,000 debt for a 3 year course.

I thought it was somethin like that but i didnt wanna say it cause i wasnt 2 sure..

Hater Player

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2003, 04:27:39 PM »
fuck da education in amerika man they only be helpin da white people aint no fuckin mexicans up in college n shit they go to like contineuation skool and get there ged wtf and da white ppl be up in like harverd n shit

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 10:10:44 PM »
You obviously paid attention in school Hater Player

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2003, 12:16:06 AM »
fuck da education in amerika man they only be helpin da white people aint no fuckin mexicans up in college n shit they go to like contineuation skool and get there ged wtf and da white ppl be up in like harverd n shit

i hate to break it to you pal but i'm mexican i'm in college and my cousin in phoenix went to Princeton....god y'all act like fine colleges won't help you find a way to pay for your college, my cousin is a damn einstein and he had a chance to go to USC, Stanford, Princeton, and i think yale....my aunt and uncle wern't exactly rich niether but he applied for a grip of grants and got all sorts of scholorships that helped pay for damn near all of his college debts...man you people just like to bitch like little girls i hate to bring the race card in to this but between black people and foriegn white people y'all bitch way too god damn much

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Maestro Minded

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2003, 05:37:45 AM »
i remember some of yall foos claimin some time ago that education in usa is free ??!!!!

good thing i live in Sweden... im currently in University ... for free... Sweden is the country of hope... anybody can study.. for free.... if i remember correct, only Sweden and Cuba can offer something like that...