Author Topic: MSNBC Summer Jam Article: 50 Cent Bigger than Eminem?  (Read 115 times)

AfterMathematics

• 'G'
  • West Coast Represent for all y'all
MSNBC Summer Jam Article: 50 Cent Bigger than Eminem?
« on: June 04, 2003, 07:49:56 PM »
http://www.msnbc.com/news/922203.asp?0dm=V11SL

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., June 4 —  When 50 Cent’s album debuted to record-breaking sales earlier this year, the rapper joked that mentor Eminem — rap’s reigning sales king — was getting a little worried about his own status. “‘He told me, ‘Be easy money, you’re up on my heels,”’ laughed 50 Cent, whose debut album, “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,” is the year’s best-selling disc with almost 5 million copies sold. “I’ve got his mojo right now.”

THAT COULDN’T have been more clear Tuesday night, at arguably the largest rap concert of the year. The 10th anniversary of Summer Jam, sponsored by New York City radio station Hot 97, drew 60,000 fans to Giants Stadium.
       Despite a bill that featured some of the biggest names in hip-hop, Nelly, Busta Rhymes, P. Diddy, Nas and Lil’ Kim, it was clear that 50 Cent was the star of the show, whipping the rain-soaked crowd into a frenzy as he paraded around stage in a bulletproof vest, with a posse of almost 50 in tow.
       And when 50 Cent’s performance was over, so, for many of the crowd, was the concert — despite the fact that Eminem was performing onstage. While there were still thousands of fans bopping their heads as the Oscar-winner performed hits like “Without Me,” a stream of people headed toward the exits.
       “The show is over, the whole audience is gone,” said Chris Fox — with a bit of exaggeration — as he walked toward the exit.  
       “50 Cent is just off the hook,” said Natasha Johnson. “(I’m leaving) because I don’t think 50 is coming back.”
       While 50 Cent can hardly be described as a savior of rap — Enimem and Nelly were responsible for the 2002’s No. 1 and No. 2 selling albums, respectively — it’s clear that the buff, bullet-scarred gangsta rapper has riveted the rap scene like no other.
       He’s got the No. 1, No. 8 and No. 9 singles in the country (and another moving up the charts); his disc, which was released five months ago, is at No. 2; he’s about to embark on a nationwide tour with Jay-Z this month; and on Wednesday, announced a partnership with Reebok, including his own line of sneakers.

FRESH FACE
       In an interview with The Associated Press earlier this year, rapper Fat Joe said one of the main reasons 50 Cent has become so popular much is because he’s a fresh face on a familiar rap scene.
       “We all reach our peak, and hip-hop is youthful music,” he said. “I think the reason why 50 Cent has blown up as big as is his is because it’s about time. People needed someone new.”  
         But his gangsta lifestyle and raw charisma are also a major part of his popularity. Few on the bill at Summer Jam were able to get the crowd excited for any extended period of time; Some in the audience shouted “Bring on 50!” when Lil Kim — her silicone breasts almost popping out of her flimsy top — gave her lackluster performance.
       And both Nelly and rapper Nas got a Bronx cheer from the restless crowd; the boobirds pecked Nelly as he tried to finish his set with the tender, Grammy-winning “Dilemma,” while Nas received boos when he revisited his verbal assault on Jay-Z.
       In fact, besides veteran rapper Busta Rhymes, whose frenetic rapping and energetic stage performance had fans jumping out of their seats, only 50 Cent and Enimem had the crowd riveted for any length of time.
       A former drug dealer from Queens who was once shot multiple times, 50 Cent has embraced the thug lifestyle in ways even one of his influences, Tupac Shakur, never did. On stage Tuesday night, sounds of shots and a gun cocking were as an important to his stage show as his music, as he paraded on stage wearing his now trademark bulletproof vest.
       Moreover, 50 Cent has a charisma and charm that appeals to both men and women, and he markets both aspects deftly. Women in the audience squealed as he removed his bulletproof vest to reveal his cut muscles and he sang his No. 1 hit, the romantic (for hip-hop, anyway) “21 Questions”; yet, soon afterward, he was giving them the brushoff, declaring himself a “P.I.M.P.” to the shouts of male fans.
       His ongoing beef with fellow rapper Ja Rule has also boosted 50 Cent’s hype; fans laughed uproariously when a taped intro to his show lampooned Ja Rule.
       Later, when Eminem, 50 Cent and Busta Rhymes joined in on a verbal assault on Ja Rule, Busta Rhymes felt the need to justify the attack, telling the crowd he hadn’t built his career on feuds with other rappers.
       50 Cent was unashamed, though.
       “I built my career on this beef!” he said, dropping to his knees, laughing. “And I love it.”
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 07:50:20 PM by AfterMathematics »