Author Topic: Murder Was The Case OST  (Read 1321 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

Murder Was The Case OST
« on: June 05, 2003, 10:49:38 AM »
Murder Was The Case OST
Death Row Records

This soundtrack was put together to compliment the fifteen minute Murder Was The Case music video, which was filmed for the track of the same name. This was basically Death Row during their peak, Snoop had just dropped Doggystyle, the Chronic had been around for a couple of years, and Dogg Pound were soon to release their debut album. So cue the entire Death Row roster plus a few outsiders creating one of the best compilations ever.

Snoop Dogg - Murder Was The Case (Remix) - this track is just a remix of the track of the same name off of Snoop's Doggystyle album, with the beat slowed down. Although I do still prefer the original version of this track, this version is still dope as hell, and is still a near classic track. 4.5/5

Dr Dre & Ice Cube - Natural Born Killaz - having settled their differences over the NWA split having realised that they were both being screwed out of money, Dre and Cube combined on this classic track. It was great to hear these two together again, and their obvious chemistry combined with dope lyrics and a cool hook made this an unmissable track. 5/5

Dogg Pound - What Would U Do? - the album continues with yet another classic track. This track really is straight DPG to the fullest, a great up tempo party track with pumping bass and dope lyrics. Daz and Kurupt both come correct on this track, with Snoop dropping by to help out with the hook. Straight classic. 5/5

Snoop Dogg & Tray Dee - 21 Jumpstreet - this Daz production is the definition of laid back G Funk, and really is a great track to just kick back and chill to. Snoop brings a dope laid back flow on this track, and is backed up by Tray Dee's trademark snarling flow, which is just straight dope. A group of singers coming in on the chorus just make the track even better, especially the bridge which leads into the second verse in which Snoop & Tray trade verses as if they had been doing it together for years. The comedy of the W Balls presenter and phone in people just finishes off the track perfectly, completing a classic track. 5/5

Nate Dogg - One More Day - a slight change in format for this track with a Nate solo track, although the production is once again handled by Daz to stunning effect. This dope up tempo beat, again with a great bass line, is graced with Nate's vivid portrayal of life in the ghetto when he was growing up. This has to be one of Nate's best ever solo joints ever, and is another extremely dope track. 4.5/5

Jewell - Harvest For The World - to be honest this track is just way too slow for my taste despite the fact that it was produced by Dre. Jewell's voice just doesn't hold my attention and there seems to be nothing to the track really which means that most of time I just end up skipping straight past this track. 2/5

Snoop Dogg feat Tha Dogg Pound, Lil Style, Young Swoop - Who Got Some Gangsta Shit? - this track is another dope laid back G Funk track, produced by Soopafly. The whistle is in full effect on this one, in great tandem with a dope as hell bassline. All of the artists drop dopeness on this one, staying with the beat all along, especially Snoop who sounds great on this one. 4.5/5

Danny Boy - Come When I Call - this track is produced by DJ Quik and features a great laid back beat for Danny Boy to sing over. He really shows his obvious singing talent on this track, and although the track does drag a little bit, the hook is good and the quality vocals of Danny Boy keep you interested and make this a great track. 4/5

Sam Sneed feat Dr Dre - U Better Recognise - this Sam Sneed produced track, shows the sort of quality we could have seen from him if he had ever been able to release an album whilst he was on Death Row. The beat appears to utilise some of the same instruments as Natural Born Killaz earlier on the album as it retains the same eerie atmosphere of that track. Sam Sneed comes pretty tight on this track, with Dre dropping by to contribute on the hook. Overall this is a dope track. 4/5

Jodeci feat Tha Dogg Pound - Come Up To My Room - this is basically an Rnb track by Jodeci which happens to feature verses from both of Tha Dogg Pound. Kurupt and Daz both put in very good performances, and Jodeci provide a great hook and singing on this sex song. Basically a lot of rapping and singing about bitches and sex over a nice beat by Daz & Devante makes a great mix of RnB and Rap. 4/5

Jewell - Woman To Woman - the second Jewell track on this album and this track basically focus on woman trash talking to one another about their men. Jewell comes much doper over this DJ Quik production than she did on her previous track and this track is overall pretty good, and doesn't have me reaching straight for the skip button like her previous effort. 3.5/5

DJ Quik - Dollars and Sense - now I think this track has to be considered a true classic track. Quik drops one of the dopest beats ever in my opinion, which just gets you moving through the mix of the dope bass, and the brilliant percussion, without you even realising that you are doing it. The track is basically a diss track towards MC Eiht. Quik comes dope as hell on this track, coming out with classic lines such as:
"E,I,H,T, shall I continue, you left out the G cause the G ain't in you."
Overall this is a straight classic track. 5/5

Slip Capone & CPO - The Eulogy - this track has a more sinister beat to it courtesy of San Man. This track is pretty dope, both CPO (also known as Boss Hogg), and Slip Capone both coming off well on their verses, especially Slip. The hook is also pretty good with another G Funk synth coming in to compliment the spoken hook. Overall a pretty standard track. 3.5/5

B-Rezell - Horny - this is a slow tempo rnb track, which is basically about sex and most of these tracks appear to be. The voice of the singer does get a little annoying at times, but you can't really front on the beat, and the hook is pretty good so overall it is still a good track. 3/5

Young Soldierz - Eastside/Westside - this track samples the same track which was later sampled by both Snoop and Top Dogg for their Snoopafella and Top Dogg Cindafella tracks respectively. What this basically amounts to is a very dope up tempo track. All the rappers do actually rip the beat really well, and the chanted hook is pure dopeness. Overall I really like this track and I think that it is a dope way to finish the album. 4/5

Overall, you really cannot find much to complain about on this album. There really are some classics tracks on hear, and the production throughout the album is almost flawless. Although some of the rnb tracks aren't that great, you can't complain too much because they all still have straight westcoast beats which make them still worth listening to. This is what I love so much about all these Death Row compilation is that there is always a consistent westcoast sound throughout them even when you have rnb tracks. If only Death Row had at least aimed for this type of thing on the Dysfunktional Family soundtrack instead of the commercial rap/rnb album that they did then it could have been much doper. Oh well, we can only hope that one day Death Row will be able to release another compilation that gets anywhere near the quality of this one, because this really is straight dopeness all the way through. Although it isn't flawless and therefore isn't a classic it is pretty close, and is certainly up for the best compilation ever released.

Overall: 9.5/10
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 12:35:58 PM by Waitin For The Daz Album »

caTASHtrophe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Murder Was The Case OST
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 10:58:18 AM »
Best soundtrack EVER...

Dollars and sense, and What would u do were the best tracks on the album

:)

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 12:20:31 PM »
agree...best sound track ever ...however
the danny boy, jodeci, nate dogg, annd who got some gangsta shit tracks are all 5/5 tracks in my book along with the ones you mentioned...good review  8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 12:20:56 PM by VerbalAssaulta »

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 06:18:43 PM »

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 03:31:29 AM »
Best soundtrack EVER...

Just being picky now ;)

its is one my 5 favourite soundtracks....boyz n the hood...tales from the hood...and probably ...juice and new jersey drive (disc 2 then 1)

hehe

pZ

TheSheriff

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 12:58:42 PM »
I prefer the OST Murder Was The Case. It's far more sinister than the Doggystyle one.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 10:36:02 PM »
agree...best sound track ever ...however
the danny boy, jodeci, nate dogg, annd who got some gangsta shit tracks are all 5/5 tracks in my book along with the ones you mentioned...good review  8)
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Lost__Soul

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 07:06:01 AM »
good review

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 04:42:48 PM »
definitely a classic unlike that garbage Dysfunktional Family OST.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 10:57:34 AM »
This review was pretty much on point. Yeah, I like the beat from Doggystyle "Murder was the case" better, especially at the breakdown "Now I lay me down to sleep"

KVB

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 12:17:48 PM »
Yeah this a classic soundtrack, the 2nd best ever IMO... I would only put the Friday OST above it. All Dre/Snoop/DPG tracks on this album are classics in my opinion and the R&B tracks ain't too bad, I would give it 4.5 mics. Good review as ever Waitin For The Daz Album, keep 'em coming.

* props *
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 12:18:25 PM by KVB »

Blood Rain

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • flesh of my flesh, my blood is life
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 06:27:40 PM »

gchild213

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Murder Was The Case OST
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 04:10:27 PM »
this record had a lot of dope tracks

tempo2

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 03:19:53 AM »
some dope tracks but i didnt like tha blum as a whole

Okka

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 03:24:38 AM »
some dope tracks but i didnt like tha blum as a whole

How the fuck? This is the best soundtrack ever released...