Author Topic: Common - One day it'll all make sense  (Read 1089 times)

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
Common - One day it'll all make sense
« on: June 05, 2003, 10:03:04 PM »

Common – One Day It’ll all Make Sense

1. Introspective…intro
2. Invocation…Smooth, jazzy production matched with dope lyrics.  Short, but tight.  4/5
3. Real nigga quotes…Uptempo production with a nice mix of kickdrums and trumpets.  Common drops some excellent bars.  4/5
4. Retrospect for life…A beautiful song where Common finds himself speaking about unborn children.  Perfectly matched production and well placed hooks featuring Lauryn Hill.  5/5
5. Gettin’ down at the amphitheater…To me, the production ruins this song.  De La Soul appear, but it doesn’t save this track.  Weak hook, too.  2/5
6. Food for funk…Common flows well and rides the beat smoothly.  Fairly average production, but it’s fitting.  4/5
7. G.O.D. (Gaining One’s Defintion)…Very radio-friendly vibe to this one.  Common gives prospective on religion in general.  Cee-Lo appears to drop some knowledge also.  4.5/5
8. My city…More of an interlude performed by Malik Yusef.  Production consists of simply a soft piano and a saxophone.  The words are spoken in a poem form, but it comes off tight.  Too much of an instrumental at the end though.  3.5/5
9. Hungry…Common comes off tight as hell on the mic using many metaphors in his lyrical content.  Simple, but tight beat.  4/5
10.   All night long…Cool jazzy feel to this track featuring Erykah Badu.  Common’s flow is smooth and Erykah Badu delivers an A+ chorus.  4/5
11.   Stolen moments pt. 1…Common tells a short story about getting robbed.  Eerie production.  Great story telling.  5/5
12.   Stolen moments pt. 2…I love the way the first song fades into this part.  The production fades more into an orchestrated beat as Common finishes his story out.  5/5
13.   1’2 many…Common tries to spread some knowledge on responsibility and taking care of business.  Nice message.  4/5
14.   Stolen moments pt. 3…Common finishes out his story on this track.  Tight production, just not as tight as the previous two.  The entire concept is great though.  4/5
15.   Making a name for ourselves…Canibus appears on the track to lay down some tight lines.  Common doesn’t do bad, but Canibus does outshine him here.  Pretty average production though.  3.5/5
16.   Reminding me (of self)…This is the epitome of the type of production Common sounds best on, matched with great female vocals on a hook.  4/5
17.   Pop’s rap part 2/Fatherhood…Spoken word (outro)

OVERALL…4/5

Common brings a different style of rap to the table.  His lyricism and flow match perfectly to the production he chooses…Usually jazzy sounding.  The entire album has a nice overall flow into each track which adds to replay value.

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
Re:Common - One day it'll all make sense
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 11:00:34 PM »
this is my favorite common album, it sounds so fresh all the way through

Nice review J props

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 03:25:42 AM »
this is my favorite common album, it sounds so fresh all the way through

Nice review J props

Ill agree with that...it has to be about my fav common album...very dope ...

...and yes good review bro :)

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 10:58:14 AM »
great album. resurrection is still his best tho.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

ill natural

• Lil Geezy
  • FUCK YOU!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 04:56:45 PM »
Word resurrection is his best album.

I'd rate em like
Resurrection
Like Wate for Chocolate
Can I Borrow a Dollar
One Day It'll all Make Sense
Electric Circus
Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman.
You only call her a bitch cause she won't let you in that pussy
Maybe she felt you didn't share any similar interests
Or Maybe you're an asshole who couldnt sweet talk a princess.
- Aesop Rock

Ill Natural has spoken... Y'all may be seated

T.J.

• Wanksta
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my deck
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 06:37:34 AM »
nice review.... i'd probly give it a 4.25/5.

kick ass album

Black Pack

• Lil Geezy
  • whaat?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 06:59:00 AM »
Word resurrection is his best album.

I'd rate em like
Resurrection
Like Wate for Chocolate
Can I Borrow a Dollar
One Day It'll all Make Sense
Electric Circus

"Blew the whole shit up on some 'what this button do ?'" - MF Doom
"Ignorance is an option, not genetic"-Aphter LyphE7

ThreeSixty

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 09:40:39 AM »
this is my least favorite common album. Can i borrow a dollar, resurrection and lwfc are dope as hell, electric circus was average and i didnt really care for one day itll all make sense

Immortal

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2003, 11:20:34 AM »
thanks for the review 8)
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Common - One day it'll all make sense
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 09:36:12 PM »
Before I bought this album, I only bought tapes. This is the first cd I had ever purchased new. Before then it was all about the tapes. I had to record the cd onto a tape using my brother's cd player so I could listen to it, ha. Needless to say I couldn't count how many times I listened to this album.

1. Introspective…intro On thing I've noticed is that albums with an intro that really sets the mood of an album are albums that are at least 4.5 mics in my eyes. This intro servers its purpose in that regard, as Common spits his mindstate over some melodic background tunes.

2. Invocation Nice guitar sample as Common spits rhymes in almost a freestyle stream of conciosness fashion. 4.5/5
3. Real nigga quotes…Common is agressive on this one. You knew he was going to be serious and get straight to business as you hear Common cut fools heads off over some nice horns.  5/5
4. Retrospect for life…This song is beautiful and moving. This is why I love hiphop. 5/5
5. Gettin’ down at the amphitheater…The only downer on the first half of this album. It's not that it's bad, it just isn't at the level of the rest of the album.  3/5
6. Food for funk…Nice head nodder.  4/5
7. G.O.D. (Gaining One’s Defintion)…Another instropsective track curtesy of Common and Ceelo. Plenty of pianos in the background give this track a meloncholy feel.  4.5/5
8. My city…More of an interlude performed by Malik Yusef.  Here is some nice spoken word piece over an instrumental. It's kind of a transition between the first half and the second half, as the second half kind of has a different flavor to it. 4/5
9. Hungry…Common cuts off some more mufuckas heads. He ain't playin.  4.5/5
10.   All night long…The Roots at their peak deliver a musical masterpiece. Common drops four verses of dopeness with Erykah Badu hooking up a tight hook. 5/5
11.   Stolen moments pt. 1…Common talks about how he got jacked.  4.5/5
12.   Stolen moments pt. 2…As the previous song fades into this one, Common continues his detective mission to figure out who did it.  The album jacket says feat Black Thought but Black Thought only says a couple of lines. 4.5/5
13.   1’2 many…Not feeling this song. It sounds like hateration. I always skip it.  2/5
14.   Stolen moments pt. 3…Common finishes up his story.  4.5/5
15.   Making a name for ourselves…Canibus tells you what he's gonna do to you. "I'll hit you in the chest so hard your shoulders will touch, what!"  4/5
16.   Reminding me (of self)…My favorite song on the album, second favorite Common song of all time behind 6th Sense. The beat is perfect. It has a funky baseline and some sampled strings which give this track a real nice feel to it. Common tells the story of his homie Sef. This track has a T.R.O.Y type feel to it. A true masterpiece. Everytime I hear this song it puts me in a good mood. 5/5
17.   Pop’s rap part 2/Fatherhood…Spoken word (outro)

Overall: 4.5 mics Common's best album. It's a balanced album, it has the hungry feel that resurrection had but much more refined and mature and much more advanced musically. Plus this is before he fucked Erykah and started acting weird. Common had such chemistry with No Id, Dug Infinite and Y Not and it's a shame he doesn't work with them anymore. This album was in my deck for a couple of years.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

dray

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 01:24:54 PM »
this was one of my favorite albums back in the late 90s. this album was very well-rounded and it displayed common's ability to talk about some pretty deep subjects. i wish that he would've continued to work with no i.d. and dug infinite because they had chemistry thats unmatched by any other producers that he's worked with. hopefully, his next album won't be a dissapointment.

broken_sword

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 04:14:21 PM »
retrospect for life is such an amazing song.
the album is dope as well, but it can't top my personal favourite like water for chocolate.

misskebina

• Lil Geezy
  • The Westcoast Is Back !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 10:44:49 AM »
I love the name of the album ...   :)
GREAT ALBUM.