Author Topic: THEY FOUND NEFERTITI!!!!!  (Read 362 times)

Trauma-san

THEY FOUND NEFERTITI!!!!!
« on: June 12, 2003, 07:43:53 AM »
This is a serious topic, so I put it in here.

They may have found nefertiti.  If yall know anything about Egypt, you know that nefertiti was a famous woman, she was one of only 2 women powerful enough to be considered Pharoah, she it is rumoured was married to king Akhenaten (spelling) who changed egypt's religion from plurality to one god.  It's rumoured he died or was feeble as king, and that she ruled either as co-regent or in his place.  They were Succeeded by King Tutankamen, who converted the religion back to the plur god religion that egypt wanted.  

Anyways, there's this valley in egypt called the Valley of the Kings.  It's where all the tombs were found of the king's of egypt, after Pyramids weren't being built anymore.  One of them, King Amenhetep the II, was used hundreds of years ago to deposit all the looted mummies from many of the other tombs.  They've cleaned it out over a hundred years ago (I believe it's where Ramses' mummy was found, for instance), and the tomb has had people walking through it for years!  It's a rather large beautiful tomb, with most of the paintings still intact, and you can visit it and walk through.

Well, last year, a scientist found another room in the tomb! It's amazing, because the tomb looks so clean, you think it would be obvious that there weren't any hidden rooms.  Inside were 3 mummies, one had it's arm bent like royalty, and had double pierced ears, Nefertiti was one of only 2 women thought to have double pierced ears in egypt.  She also bore a resemblence to Nefertiti's bust discovered years ago, and had been defamed (which usually happened when grave robbers found a royal mummy and wanted to disrespect it).  

She was also buried near King Tutankhamen, she's rumoured to be his mother.  

Some egyptologists are saying it can't be her, they think the body is only a 16 year old girl, but the jury's still out.  Dr. Kent Weeks has been looking for Nefertiti's tomb for years over there, so he probably doesn't believe it's her either.  Other rumours say she may have been secretly buried somewhere in Aton, the city built by them to worship the sun god.  Still other rumours have King Tut digging up his mother's body and having it buried near his tomb in the valley of the kings.  Who knows?

Don Seer

Re:THEY FOUND NEFERTITI!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 07:48:36 AM »
she wuz a hottie.. funny u post this.. i'd just been meaning to go back and check this news story...

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=43219&section=NEWS&subsection=FOCUS&year=2003&month=6&day=11

Possible Nefertiti find met with skepticism
Egyptologists doubt mummy found in ancient burial ground is that of famed queen.

By NOHA EL HENNAWY
The Associated Press

CAIRO – Egyptologists cast doubt Tuesday on an expedition's claim that it may have found the mummy of Queen Nefertiti, one of the best- known ancient Egyptians.

Skeptics said X-ray analysis of the mummy found in Luxor's Valley of the Kings, the ancient royal burial ground for Egypt's pharaohs, indicates it is the body of a 16-year-old girl. Nefertiti is believed to have died in her 30s.

The Discovery Channel announced the discovery Monday. It said the team found the mummy in a secret side chamber in a tomb known as KV35, which housed two other mummies as well.

The channel said one of the mummies had a double- pierced earlobe and a bent arm, considered signs of ancient Egyptian royalty. It also said the mummy "bore a striking profile and swanlike neck comparable to the famed beauty Nefertiti" - apparently a reference to two statues of Nefertiti discovered before World War I now on display in Cairo and Berlin.

The team was led by Joann Fletcher, a member of the University of York's Mummy Research Team in England. Fletcher took interest in the mummies inside the tomb when she discovered a forgotten royal wig there from the 18th dynasty. That dynasty, to which Nefertiti belonged, dates from the 14th century B.C.

"Although we can only suggest the identity as a strong possibility, the expedition's findings certainly have some wide-ranging implications for Egyptology," the Discovery Channel quoted Fletcher as saying.

Zahi Hawaas, secretary- general of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said any similarity between the mummy's face and Nefertiti's statue isn't worthy evidence because during that period "art was idealistic and not realistic."

Other Egyptologists have also said it will be very hard to prove the mummy belongs to Nefertiti.

Fletcher "is making a lot of assumptions," said Lisa Sabbahy, a professor of Egyptology at the American university in Cairo.

She said that at the end of the Egyptian New Kingdom, many royal tombs were robbed. This prompted priests to collect all the mummies and put them in new coffins in other locations.

During this process, a wig belonging to one mummy might have been put on another, she said.

She said a DNA test also would not help because Nefertiti came from outside the royal family. She was the wife of Akhenaton - the 18th dynasty king.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 07:52:30 AM »

Nefertiti: "The Beautiful One Has Come"
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 07:53:35 AM by Scorpion »

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 07:54:52 AM »
looks a bit snooty.. lol

btw... u can guess which ermm 'alternative site' i got that news story from cant u ;)
their newsdesk is pretty good

« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 07:55:34 AM by Overseer »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 09:04:37 AM »
very interesting shit....im gonna keep my ears open for news of any confirmation
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2003, 02:09:08 PM »

Nice...This is huge!!!!
I'ma keep my ear to the tube for more 411 on this.
This is interesting stuff, The past intrigues me more than the here & now....

Hatesrats 2oooTre
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 02:10:35 PM by Hatesrats »

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 07:30:31 PM »
Yeah, I read this in TIME magazine a while ago, very interesting.  They still aren't 100% sure it is her, and the Egyptian goverment doesn't allow them to preform DNA tests and shit.  Those damn grave robbers really screwed her up though.

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 07:51:16 PM »
Yeah, her husband, Akhenaten (I always misspell it) has never 'officially' been found, but most people think it was the body found in the tomb next to Tutankhamen's.  it was lying in the wrong coffin, and had a boulder laying in it's chest, and all the names on the coffin scratched out.  The body was given an autopsy on the floor of the tomb, about 100 years ago (a real hack job), and as of today, we only have a few bones left laying in a museum somewhere, the body had deteriorated so much since the autopsy.  

Akhenaten like I said worshipped a different god, the sun god, and made it egypt's offical religion, and fired all the priests.  EVERYBODY secretly hated him.  Rumours are he was deformed, also, because all of his statues have him pictured as looking really strange.  When he died, and Tut took the throne, everyone was very happy that Tut (at a very young age) switched the religion back to the old priest/multiple gods system.  Rumours are that Tut, since he was so young, had a strong priest helping him rule the country.  The priest would have pushed for the switch, of course.  

Akhenaten and Nefertiti are thought to have been buried in Armana (spelling?) like I said, but since everyone hated them, there's a theory that perhaps Tutankhamen had them stolen from their tombs, and buried in extra tombs within the valley of the kings in the middle of the night so no one would vandalize their bodies (they may be his parents, but we're not sure of that).  The body that was all ripped up was found lying in a tomb just next to Tutankhamen's.  It's labeled Tomb KV55... Apparently, workers on one of Ramses's later tombs (Ramses IX) accidentally broke through one of the tomb's walls while digging ramses' tomb.  The story (and theory) goes that Akhenaten lay inside, and that his body was defaced, since he was considered a curse, and the workers didn't want his body lying next to where Ramses would be buried, so they destroyed it.  He lay there until he was found 100 or so years ago.  The other things in the room were Queen Tiye's, Akenaten's beloved mother.  She may have been buried there, and then Tutankamen added Akenaten to his mother's burial chamber in secrecy, to save the body.  Queen Tiye was actually found in KV35, after all the tombs were looted, most of the mummies were thrown in KV35, which is where Nefertiti was just found, in a hidden room.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 07:52:23 PM by Scorpion »

Duncan1

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 01:23:21 PM »
Cool.....now lets store her in a British Museum

lol j/k

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2003, 03:46:50 PM »
interesting stuff  8)

TheSheriff