Author Topic: Mormons Marching across the West, Being Killed by the Thousands  (Read 239 times)

Trauma-san

It's a massacre.  

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/06/13/mormon.crickets.ap/index.html

Mormon crickets invade the West
Possibly the worst infestation in decades, experts warn
Friday, June 13, 2003 Posted: 1:40 PM EDT (1740 GMT)

PALOMINO VALLEY, Nevada (AP) -- Swarms of Mormon crickets are marching across the West, destroying rangeland and crops, slickening highways with their carcasses and leaving disgusted residents in their wake.

"It's yucky," said Amy Nisbet of Elko in northeast Nevada, where this year crickets made their first appearance in recent memory. "You drive down the street and they pop like bubble wrap."

Mild winters and three years of drought have provided ideal conditions for the insects, which hatch in the spring and feed through the summer. Experts say this year's infestation in Nevada, Utah and Idaho could be the worst in decades.

Five million acres are infested in Nevada with the 21/2-inch long creeping insects, said Jeff Knight, entomologist with the Nevada Department of Agriculture.

"I've seen them eat weeds in a field but leave the alfalfa," Knight said. "Other times, they'll just strip the crop bare."

Their voracious appetites take in anything -- sagebrush, alfalfa, wheat, barley, clover, seeds, grasses, vegetables. At a density of just one cricket per square yard, they can consume 38 pounds of forage per acre as they pass through an area. They don't fly, but can hop and crawl a mile in a day and up to 50 miles in a season. And before they die in the fall, they lay the eggs that will become next year's swarm.

The Mormon cricket actually is a katydid, similar to a grasshopper. It got its name in 1848 when swarms invaded the fields of Mormon settlers in Utah. According to lore, the settlers prayed for divine assistance that arrived in the form of gulls, which ate the insects and saved the crops.

County declares state of emergency
Though Knight couldn't provide an economic damage estimate, he said this year's infestation is twice as widespread as last year. The bugs are showing up in places they haven't been seen before, such as Elko's city limits and Palomino Valley north of Reno.

Last week, Elko County commissioners declared a state of emergency because of the worsening two-week infestation. Officials in southwestern Idaho say the infestation there is the worst since World War II.

"They've been building up there on the Boise front for several years, but last year was the first year everything seems to have coalesced and really erupted," said Mike Cooper of the Idaho Department of Agriculture.

"They're cyclic and they build up over a number of years, kind of peak, and then usually some kind of natural disease comes in and starts taking them down," Cooper said.

The crickets make their way across a Nevada road earlier in June.  
In Utah, agriculture officials estimate 6 million acres -- more than double last year's plague -- will be infested before the crickets die off.

Dick Wilson of the Utah Department of Agriculture said the dismal predictions were "all true. (My staff) are all out in the field, working seven days a week" fighting the bugs.

Earlier this spring, Nevada treated about 66,000 acres with an insecticide that kills the insects before they mature. But as the treatment cuts down their numbers in one area, they pop up somewhere else.

The chief weapon is carbaryl, an insecticide commonly known as Sevin. It is mixed with bran and spread before the crickets as they advance. Crickets lured to the bait quickly die. The poisoned carcasses are consumed by cannibalistic fellow crickets, which also die.

'It can be like a grease slick'
State officials said their priority is to protect public lands, crops -- and motorists. In Idaho the state has posted warning signs on State Route 55. Crickets smashed by cars create a mush slicker than ice.

"We're doing our best to keep them off the highway," said Martin Larraneta, a state entomologist coordinating cricket controls in Elko. "It can be like a grease slick."

So far there are no reports of accidents caused by the crickets.

While serious, this year's outbreak isn't the most severe in Nevada history, experts said.

A 1939 state publication noted an infestation in Eureka County in 1882, when trains were unable to travel the main line of the Central Pacific Railroad "due to the rails being so thoroughly greased with crushed crickets," state archivist Guy Rocha said.

In the 1930s, a band of crickets 12 miles long and at times several feet deep was reported in Elko County, Rocha said.

The crickets have existed for millions of years and were once a food source for American Indians. But the swarms covering fields and roads and houses horrify modern residents.

"When it comes to something that's six-legged, people have a big problem with that," Knight said.

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Re:Mormons Marching across the West, Being Killed by the Thousands
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 11:22:14 AM »
I had visions of Trauma getting beaten to death while marching acrooss the desert

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 01:41:48 PM »
jay, you're a jackass

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Genius

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 01:24:00 AM »
I expected something about the polygamous Mormons who fuck their brothers' wives

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 02:38:18 AM »
jay, you're a jackass

damn just joking

You gonna attack Genius now

Bit too protective of Trauma aren't we

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 06:28:45 AM »
And the ignorance continues

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 06:17:45 PM »
jay, you're a jackass

damn just joking

You gonna attack Genius now

Bit too protective of Trauma aren't we

so what if i am? dude is a good friend of mine, so fuck , sorry for sticking up for him

y'all and your little disrespectful group of friends here are a bunch of hypocrits. lord knows if this was tech posting something like this about islam and quake or nik came in here saying something like that , LORD KNOWS all hell would break out

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 10:42:43 AM »
Relax.

It was a joke.

I'm sure Mr America can handle it.

Hater Player

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 07:47:59 PM »