Author Topic: You think all those freestyles by sly boogy are really freestyles?  (Read 151 times)

budsmokeronly

I really don't know.  Some of them are just so damn crazy, its hard for me to believe that they are really 100% off the dome freestylez.  Whatchall think?  We all know crook is a fake freestyler nowadays, and I think most cats in the rap game don't really do real freestylze anymore.  One thing I give snoop major credit for is I think all his freestyles are real freestyles.  I heard he busted one recently at a concert that was pretty damn amazing.

Tha_Reverend

Re:You think all those freestyles by sly boogy are really freestyles?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 12:30:15 PM »
it's hard to tell nowadays.  you can never be 100% sure.  "studio freestyles" are mostly fake as fuck.  you can just tell.  the only way you can really tell if it's real, is if two peeps go at it live in a battle.  were they diss on each other's aperience and style.  that's when they have to come up with shit fresh from they head.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 01:15:14 PM »
it's hard to tell nowadays.  you can never be 100% sure.  "studio freestyles" are mostly fake as fuck.  you can just tell.  the only way you can really tell if it's real, is if two peeps go at it live in a battle.  were they diss on each other's aperience and style.  that's when they have to come up with shit fresh from they head.

True.

To tell the truth, I really don't care if it's off the top, but I just wish they stopped actin like it wasn't. whether it took u 15 hours or .015 seconds to think of a punchline, if it's dope it's dope, but just stop lyin like u came up with it outta ya ass

S.G.V.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 01:50:12 PM »
You'll never know if a freestyle is truely off the dome unless you're there to witness it....Much like with The Project Blowed cats...Supernat...Dilated Peoples...if u seen them live...u know what im talkin about...

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 04:50:39 PM »
well he said it himself those aint freestyles from the top of his dome...wether hes in the studio or concert or whatever, not even on the phone....you'll hear it soon, he busted a verse at the end of the interview and one week later i called and he kicked the same verse..the only time he'd bust something off the dome would be with his homies, smoke some shit and kick a session..it aint a bad thing though...to me a Freestyle is still a Freestyle if its written... even if it mite lose the true meaning behind it
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 04:52:32 PM by - LiL JiZZle - »
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Jome

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 09:25:27 PM »
well he said it himself those aint freestyles from the top of his dome...wether hes in the studio or concert or whatever, not even on the phone....you'll hear it soon, he busted a verse at the end of the interview and one week later i called and he kicked the same verse..the only time he'd bust something off the dome would be with his homies, smoke some shit and kick a session..it aint a bad thing though...to me a Freestyle is still a Freestyle if its written... even if it mite lose the true meaning behind it

Word.

You can hear on these supposed freestyles if they really are freestyles if you listen close...
As soon as you have background vocals, and things that seem real planned, you'll often know what's freestyle and what's written.

E.G. on "Sly Boogy - Freestyle #1":

You better duck, cause I aim for the waist up (waist up)
If I'm the nigga spinning the philly, it's getting laced up (laced up)(ha)
And I don't battle on wax, nigga, raise up (raise up)
That's like tryina titty-fuck a bitch with a A-cup (ha-ha)
But if you blast first, (I'ma have to) blast back

Ain't no way that you can do your own background vocals live..
Ain't no way that a backup rapper (with a voice similar to Slys :P) can read Sly's mind to see what he will freestyle next.. and thereby adjust his backup vocals.
Ain't no way you laugh at your own lyrics in the middle of a freestyle..

Conclusion: Pre-written.. it's not really a big thing though, 90% of all rappers do it.. Xzibit, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 50 Cent.. they all do it, even if they might have real freestyles too.
It just shouldn't be called freestyle, when you can tell it's written.

:P

« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 09:26:36 PM by Pha®oahe Jome »

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 01:01:04 AM »
Yeah, I find it also kinda hard to believe that his freestyles aren't pre-written...
Anyway, he's still a tight MC, no matter what.

S.G.V.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 01:10:03 AM »
only artists that i can say really freestyle...killer mike..big boi...evidence(at shows...not on the radio)...irescience...jayo...supernatural...juice...roscoe...kurupt...

BigCain

• Lil Geezy
  • Dr. Stank & Dirdy Birdy
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 01:23:59 AM »
I happen to know that Sly and his Cousin Dirty Birdy can come off the head with some pretty amazin stuff... But when you get into it as business, they get coached to have everything be as good as possible... In fact, one of the reasons, in my opinion, that Sly has progressed faster than Birdy is because Sly let go of that ego stuff a long time ago... An example everyone can peep is Sway & Tech #5... Birdy was really off the head, but Sly did written stuff for like 80 bars and he really stood out under the pre-tense of a "free-style".. It's jus part of the game... Cats like KRS, Talib Kweli, Super Nat & Snoop kick the real off the dome shit... I guess if it sound too good, it's probably scripted...  Holla
"Sittin thinkin how bein poor sucks,
drivin around lookin for a fasho fuck,
only workin wit 4 bucs,
all my babies older than each other by 4 months"
By Dirdy Birdy on the Black Spooks song "Understand My Plight"  Black Spooks are Sly Boogy & Dirty Birdy

"It is sort of fascinating that you can have 100 percent certainty about weapons of mass destruction and zero certainty of about where they are" Head United Nations Inspector Hans Blix