Author Topic: RIAA is gonna fuck us up  (Read 931 times)

Mua ha ha

• 'G'
  • You Hear it First
Re:RIAA is gonna fuck us up
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2003, 01:23:39 PM »
I think that they're gonna end up taking a few people from each "level" of file-sharing, because they're out to make an example of people. If they go after the heavyweights, nobody is gonna give a fuck. But, if you take a few people from the small level, few people from the next, etc, then it fucks people up.
Some say that if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, it plays satanic messages. That's nothing... if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

oh and by the way, I wasn't being racist, I was being prejudice.  I hate dumb people.  Dumb is not a race you fuckin moron.

Cold Bishop

• Lil Geezy
  • WCRydaz.com
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2003, 03:50:29 PM »
all u gotta do is not serve on kazaa or winmx and all that other bullshit and i bet you wont' have a problem
exactly

Jome

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2003, 09:04:11 PM »
Well, in the end, sharing this stuff is illegal and stealing musician's work

In U.S.A., yes.
In most other countries, no.

Som might say that these releases are "big samplers"..
What better way to market a artist.. Eminem Show was leaked 2 weeks before release.. it's soon DIAMOND through the stores.. not the net.

mauzip

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2003, 03:29:04 AM »
Well, in the end, sharing this stuff is illegal and stealing musician's work

In U.S.A., yes.
In most other countries, no.

What better way to market a artist.. Eminem Show was leaked 2 weeks before release.. it's soon DIAMOND through the stores.. not the net.

yep, with the right promotion it will sell lots, lots, lots of units.

Hater Player

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2003, 10:24:03 PM »
wtf its ilegal 4 me 2 have mp3s on my computer?

Scarfacetony

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2003, 05:53:29 AM »
Besides... they can only sue Americans...  8)

Sure??

HAHAH cooo ...... i got about 20 gigs of mp3z too

Trauma-san

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2003, 04:54:37 PM »
Im pretty sure they knew they are going to lose but in meanwhile the newspapers hitted "2000 ppl convicted for mp3 sharing" and thats what the RIAA wants, scare people coz thats the only thing they can do.

Hmm.  That's not the only thing they can do, lol.  I mean, they CAN win the case.  I just don't think a judge is going to hand out any hardcore sentences.  Basically, file sharing is illegal.  It's pretty cut and dry, your guilty.  I'm guilty.  They could nail all of us, but the judges aren't gonna hand out any sentences, maybe minor fines.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2003, 04:57:17 PM »
By the way; yall heard about Paul McCartney shutting down MP3.com, right?  

Back in the day, MP3.com let people stream songs off their webpage.  They got huge, started making a ton of money.

Anyways, Paul McCartney sued them, because he owns thousands and thousands of songs.  He owns songs by people he's never even met, like Buddy Holly for instance.  Anyways, he has the largest private collection of music in the world, he owns the rights to them all.

He sued mp3.com, and WON.  The judge ruled in his favor, handed out fines of something like 10,000 dollars for EACH violation; that's EACH song, EACH download.  The ruling was for 18 billion dollars or something rediculous like that.  They went belly up, and sold out to somebody.

Trauma-san

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2003, 05:04:35 PM »

I never understood this.  Lemme see if I got you here.  If cadillac wants to sell a lot of cars, the best thing for them to do is give the fuckers away.  They're for free. And somehow; that's going to INCREASE sales?  How?  

That's great Eminem sold 10 million copies.  He was huge, right? Biggest artist in the world big.  When Michael Jackson was that big, he sold 50 million.  50 MILLION ALBUMS.  Eminem should have at least sold 20 million, I'll bet bootlegging tore his stuff in half.  

I've said it a million times, you can't give me a good answer.

When I go to the flea market, and there's guys down their swappin the latest album they just downloaded off MIRC, for 5 bucks; and they're selling 20-30 Eminem albums a day;... HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS INCREASING HIS SALES?  

Really yall; you're making excuses.  I like to download music too, hell half the time I don't even buy the C.D.  I'm as guilty or worse as all of you, but you're lying to yourself if you think this actually HELPS sales.  If there's bootleggers selling these all day long at the flea market, how is that not hurting sales?  

Jome

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2003, 06:10:20 PM »

I never understood this.  Lemme see if I got you here.  If cadillac wants to sell a lot of cars, the best thing for them to do is give the fuckers away.  They're for free. And somehow; that's going to INCREASE sales?  How?  

That's great Eminem sold 10 million copies.  He was huge, right? Biggest artist in the world big.  When Michael Jackson was that big, he sold 50 million.  50 MILLION ALBUMS.  Eminem should have at least sold 20 million, I'll bet bootlegging tore his stuff in half.  

I've said it a million times, you can't give me a good answer.

When I go to the flea market, and there's guys down their swappin the latest album they just downloaded off MIRC, for 5 bucks; and they're selling 20-30 Eminem albums a day;... HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS INCREASING HIS SALES?  

Really yall; you're making excuses.  I like to download music too, hell half the time I don't even buy the C.D.  I'm as guilty or worse as all of you, but you're lying to yourself if you think this actually HELPS sales.  If there's bootleggers selling these all day long at the flea market, how is that not hurting sales?  

You might not buy the CD in all cases, but if you are like me, then you are buying more CD's than you did when you didn't have internet.
You can "sample" a whole lot music than you can in a CD-store.. you will always have people waiting in line for you there..
I used to go to the CD-store, and check out 2-3 albums that I THOUGHT might be cool.. and thus overlooking 10 others that never came to my attention.
Today, I download 20 albums a month.. sort out the 13-15 that I don't like, and go and buy the rest.. and I know a lot of people are doing exactly the same.
It's a totally different thing to have the OG CD-booklet/covers in your hands, with a professionally made CD, with a much higher quality than a CD-R.

If it wasn't for internet, I would never even have heard of the following artists:
Jayo Felony, Daz's solo career, Eastsidaz, Pharoahe Monch, Knoc-Turn'al, M.O.P., Tech N9ne, Sly Boogy, Crooked I, E-White, Cassidy, Jae Hood, RAS KASS!!, Brotha Lynch, Twista and the list goes on....... and on.....

I might be in a different situation in Norway.. but I know for damn sure that many Americans would never have discovered a lot of new talent and artists if it wasn't for the internet.

Internet is their best marketing media.. if they only know how to use it..
In no way would 50 Cent have made it to Aftermath and gone 5 platinum, if it wasn't for internet.. no way.
This is the best example of using internet as a marketing channel, and oooh wee how effective it is..
Shady Records is smart at using internet AGAINST the bootleggers.. they're releasing additional bonus-tracks on another CD, some video-clips, and lately.. a whole DVD with material.
And it's not that big of a effort neither.. throw together a music-video or two.. a interview.. some concert footage.. and there you go.. a nice package to the fan..

As for M.J. going 50 times platinum.. that's 1 in a billion..
That's AC/DC, Beatles.. that's not what the current biggest artist in the world should expect.. and no hiphop-artist should expect it.. hiphop is just now reaching the "accepted" mainstream category.. in no way can a hiphop-artist be compared to the biggest pop-star ever..

Look at the new up and coming artist.. and how they are using the internet for marketing themselves..
IV Life.. 50 Cent & G-Unit.. The Lox.. Shady Records.. Rodzilla and them upcoming cats.. Beastie Boys.. Public Enemy.. Limp Bizkit hell, even Snoop Dogg is using it now.. not to mention Warren G is starting up..
They have discovered the biggest and easiest marketing channel there is..
INTERNET.

Trauma-san

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2003, 09:35:51 PM »
^^ So, you're saying the guy at the flea market is helping sales, then?  You never answered that.

And you're wrong about me; I steal all the albums I can online.  For a while, I went out and 'supported' and bought the cd, but then I started thinking about it, and I'm wasting my money.  There are VERY, VERY few artists I respect enough to buy their CD, the rest I just download.  I've bought maybe 5 Cd's in a year.  Most of them I bought because nobody ripped them online; they were obscure country or something.  

Now, If i'm doing that, and I think I've got pretty decent morals; imagine what people Like now I Know are doing.  I rest my case ;)

Jome

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2003, 09:53:35 PM »
Ahh.. the bootleggers.

The bootleggers was bootlegging long before the internet was invented.
All you need is a CD-burner and a original copy.. and baaaam.. no need for internet.
Shutting down the internet will in no way stop the bootleggers.
15 years ago, when I was a youngin on vacation in Cyprus.. there was CD-R's all over the place.. they was poor as fuck, and internet was still limited to a small network.. but they was bootlegging as fuck.

The people eager to avoid paying for a CD will find other ways..
Copy it from a friend.. buy it from a bootlegger in the street, who again made it from a OG copy and a CD burner..

Internet is the least problem..

mc roky 4 real

• Lil Geezy
  • representin mbc till i die
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2003, 04:50:01 AM »
in bosnia and herzegovina can you buy copy-cds in shops.because there is lower life standard.people get 50-300$ for job for a month.in shops can you also buy divx films.the prices 4 these cdz are-----1cd-5$.but its copied if ya know what im sayin
street life...

GrewSum

• 'G'
  • 70 Mile Entertainment
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2003, 12:08:09 PM »
kid a couple towns away from me just got fined 10,000$ for mp3 sharing.........dayum..........watch out yall

bez

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2003, 02:51:54 PM »
We shud fight the power and everyone shud put all their MP3's into their shared files and shit.  Pure fight the power!